Search results

1. SquadLeader

EPIC drum fills...

I'd have thought the opening to Money for Nothing (Dire Straits) would be THE most epic and most famous combination of drum fills in the history of music? Played by Terry Williams...but interestingly I believe it's the only part of the Brothers In Arms album he played on. One of my favourite...
  2. SquadLeader

What kind of music do you traditionally play?

Fast, melodic, humorous/cynical/sharp/cutting, punk rock music is my cup of tea. Our music spans the idiocy of The Jeremy Kyle show, through being a bloke caught in the rampage of a Blackpool Hen Do, to missing our favourite musician ever Joe Strummer.
  3. SquadLeader

What kind of music do you traditionally play?

Rockabilly, especially punk rockabilly (if that's the right word) is making a huge resurgence up here in the North of England. I frequently see such bands. That double bass is a huge seller for me. I love it.
  4. SquadLeader

Do your neighbors complain?

Drums are astonishingly loud. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. Even played gently, they're loud. I live in a detached house but despite this I purchased electric drums for practice/recording etc. purely out of respect for my neighbours. I wouldn't want to hear drums thudding away when I...
  5. SquadLeader

Band Set Up Woes Again. Grrrr

I've been playing in bands since I was 15. And for about 30 years have always suggested to other band members that they allow me to go on stage FIRST and get my stuff in situ so that I'm not moving to and fro with large, heavy, equipment, risking knocking their precious guitars over. Have they...
  6. SquadLeader

He replaced it. It was a crap bass anyhow. We never spoke again though. Which was not a bad thing. A very strange guy whom, on one occasion, had to be forcibly removed from the rehearsal garage by the police. Me and the guitarist out of that band still play on our local circuit 30 odd years...
  7. SquadLeader

Makes me reminisce about one of the early bands I was in. We used to rehearse in my friends garage. I REALLY didn't get on with the bass player, nor he with I. And where I'm always trying to be thoughtful, he was just this self-absorbed, selfish twat. So on one occasion he knocked one of my...
  8. SquadLeader

Is this normal....

Gave notice to my bandmates yesterday that I'm leaving the band. We've been together for roughly 10 years. And we've become really good friends. Over the past couple of years things have become more and more of a toil. I love gigging. A couple of the other lads love making videos and recording...
  9. SquadLeader

My band's latest effort to impact on the annals of musical history....

Enjoy (if enjoy is the correct word).... Includes unique video content of the band.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq2NKAAnMJA&feature=youtu.be
  10. SquadLeader

Nick Mason

As a fairly average drummer I try to explain to people that find his drumming "simplistic" how hard it actually is. I try to explain my many battles with slower click tracks. Drummers get it (usually). None drummers never can. I struggle with it (ie. during my times playing along with Pink...
  11. SquadLeader

What's your latest purchase?

I think I just got a steal on a 22" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride cymbal. £115 Delivered today. Perfect condition. Love my larger cymbals and this should complement my whopping 15" DB Hi Hats nicely. Chuffed
  12. SquadLeader

Nick Mason

On the one hand I think for me they've written two of the top albums in the history of music (The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon). They are worth their accolades just for those two albums. Very much on my 'always go back to' list. On the other hand I once bought their full boxed set of studio...
  13. SquadLeader

Nick Mason

Grist to the mill for some of his fans on here I shall say this... I used to think he was really over-rated, and pretty boring until I got up with some friends from other punk bands at a post-gig 'mash up' a couple of years back. We played Comfortably Numb. I enjoyed it and it made me switch on...
  14. SquadLeader

These things are really quite light (lighter than my 14" XS20s) to. Very easy to play. All I need do now is put them in a position I can play the bloody things properly, something I've always struggled with.
  15. SquadLeader

In line with my totally weird fetish for large cymbals I recently acquired a pair of 15" Dream Bliss Hi Hat cymbals. I bought them online...brand new. A risk. They are absolutely wonderful. I love them.
  16. SquadLeader

Arse.....

Bought a new motorhome to replace our old camper van last week. Thought I'd covered everything... Found out earlier today that my bass drum doesn't fit through the door. Oops
  17. SquadLeader

Traditional Grip....what the hell am I doing wrong....

I've been struggling of late with a sore hand and decided that I would give traditional grip a go. I didn't expect it to be perfectly natural immediately, but did expect that I would be able to get by. And I sort of can...when playing the snare. However, when it comes to moving from snare to...
  18. SquadLeader

13" Tom-Tom plus stand required...

Can anyone give me a clue where I'd have best chance in UK of getting hold of a standalone 13" tom, ideally in silver sparkle, plus it's stand? I don't want a full kit but want to expand from one rack tom to two. Really struggling to find them for same...any ideas? Thanks in advance Martin
  19. SquadLeader

Just bought some spikey thing that attaches to my front bass hoop to help prevent slippage. Even when my spurs are fully out, and on carpet, my bass drum has a tendence to move and I'm desperate to try eliminate it. Also bought a new drum throne. Last one survived a year under my fat arse...
  20. SquadLeader

Weight Loss....

Just for those who provided me with advise a few weeks back. I started walking in early November and I'm now averaging over 4.5km per day. Weighed myself yesterday. Have lost 6 kilogrammes which is nearly one stone over here. Feel great. Really improved my stamina when playing drums. Thanks...
Back