Search results

1. eric_B

O-rings, decals, t-shirts: make your own!

One of the best buys I did a while ago was getting a cutting plotter: This thing is awesome! You can use it to cut vinyl, heat-transfer vinyl (for making t-shirts), paper, cardboard, plastic, fabric, whatever. And also use it with other tools like pens for sketching, a tool for embossing...
  2. eric_B

Loudness of (snare)drums: any logic?

I was doing some (completely unscientific) testing of the loudness of a couple of snare drums yesterday, using my wall decibel meter (at 2 meter distance). To my surprise, my brass Ludwig Black Magic 14 x 6,5 had a reading of 104 dB but my wooden Gretsch Ash 14 x 5 had 107 dB! I was expecting...
  3. eric_B

How do you move your hardware (to gigs)?

Getting back to gigging, I was wondering how other drummers are moving their hardware. Do you just throw the stands, hihat pedal and throne into a hardware case or trolley and call it a day, assuming it will be safe? Or do you take extra care to prevent damage, like putting the throne seat (or...
  4. eric_B

Playing drums without a band: what keeps you motivated?

There are similar threads but with a different take, so: Short history: I started playing drums in 2008 (age 35) and joined a band 2 years later. We worked hard on improving, started gigging and then the band fell apart in September 2012. The next couple of years I tried joining a couple of...
  5. eric_B

I've been selected by Sony to order a PS5 tomorrow :-/

Well, it probably doesn't get more drums unrelated than this but are there any gamers over here? I didn't do a pre-order on the Playstation 5 in 2020 so after 21 months of 'no stock' messages - or make a big profit for profiteers - I might have a chance to buy one now. Sony sent a message a...
  6. eric_B

'Half silent' drums & cymbals?

So we have traditional acoustic heads and cymbals and also silent heads or add-ons (mesh, Soundoffs, Superpads, RTOM, Evans dB One, etc) and quiet cymbals (like L80s and alike). But what if you would like something in between: still the feel of acoustics but the sound level reduced by, say, 50%...
  7. eric_B

Anybody into creating graphics design / art?

Referring to the bass drum head graphics thread. Although just an amateur, sometimes I find it fun to create something with Photoshop. I made this band logo for a Greek friend in the past, still like it (Noesis means insight): Recently this simple, crappy logo for my modded snare: And...
  8. eric_B

Safely remove (and reattach) a badge?

I have a Pearl Firecracker 12 x 5 snare which is basically new but has a dent: So I was thinking about wrapping it but run into the issue of the badge: Although admittedly not a very classy one, can it be removed and reattached without damage? If so, how? Specifically I mean the middle...
  9. eric_B

*New* Evans dB One low volume heads and cymbals

They seem well thought out and manufactured products and sound pretty decent, especially the cymbals (better than my Millenium ones). As far as you can tell from the video. I do wonder how the (black color of the) cymbals will hold up over time.
  10. eric_B

Most annoying drum beats

I vote Beyonce - Single ladies: I'm still figuring out where the 1 is...
  11. eric_B

73 Bass Drum Head Comparison video

It must have taken them quite some time and effort to put that video together.
  12. eric_B

Pimping a cheap acrylic snare: suggestions?

So I have a cheap 'Fame' acrylic snare: which actually sounds pretty decent with good heads, snare wires and tuning. The shell is nice but the hardware is pretty cheap, I don't like the strainer (although it works fine) and the paint on the hoops is pealing off around the holes for the...
  13. eric_B

Using one set of drums for playing everywhere?

Inspired by the 'How many kits do you really need?' thread. I was wondering how many drummers own just 1 set of drums and are dragging them around everywhere they want / have to play?
  14. eric_B

Cheapest drumset in the world

Interesting:
  15. eric_B

Acoustic curtains: good sound reduction for drums?

Has anyone experience with using acoustic / theater curtains - the thick / heavy (500 g/m²) molton / whatever type - for reducing the sound of drums travelling outside of a room? Being specific: I have a 8 x 3,5 mtr room with double walled concrete-brick walls (with insulation in between) and a...
  16. eric_B

Guess the 3 aluminium snare drums!

OK, a bit of fun. I found a (sloppy) test recording of 3 aluminium snare drums (not necessarily in this order): - Tama Starphonic 14 x 6 - Blue/Olive Acrolite 14 x 5 (late 80s) - Black Acrolite 14 x 6,5 (90s) Tuned roughly to the same pitch, a coated ambassador head, no muffling. Can you guess...
  17. eric_B

Scratches on your gigging drums / hardware: does it bother you?

Getting back to playing with a band after a long time I checked my gigging drum set and I noticed several nicks (mainly on the bass drum hoops) and several scratches on the chrome hardware (the tom holder and stands, probably from transporting them tied up in a hardware trolley). It was not an...
  18. eric_B

Experiences with Anydecals.com?

Do you have any experience with ordering from Anydecals.com? Or does anyone know what is up with them? They received my order (and money) on April 30 for a couple of Gretsch logos, stating 3 to 7 business days to make and ship them. After 9 days the online status still has not been upated so I...
  19. eric_B

Where do you play your drums?

In follow up to the 'neighbor noise' thread I was wondering where other drummers are playing their acoustic drums: at home in a basement, the garage or the attic, in an outdoor drum shed, you rent a studio/practice room, only when playing with others or your band, etc? I play in my bedroom home...
Back