Search results

1. T

So what is it with the cheaper snare drums?

my experience. I have 2 Tama snares. 5 1/2" Maple Artwood 10 lug with triple flange hoops that are pretty heavy, and a Tama Poplar Imperialstar 5" 8 lug with much lighter hoops. Same heads and similar snare wires. They sound different, but I think I can get them close in sound with...
  2. T

Using the stock snare drum?

The 5x14 8 lug snare that came with my Tama Imperialstars ... That drum just sounds awesome in my practice room. So I use it 80% of the time. I have a maple Artwood , 5 1/2 x 14 10 lug and heavier triple flange hoops .... That snare sounds awesome anywhere but my practice room. So I use it...
  3. T

Tama 50th Anniversary Reissue of Superstar Birch Sets

Yes but as stated on later threads .... Neil went with thinner shells for the Artstar II prototype (CAR) kit. But I do want to buy this re-issue kit!
  4. T

How a room impacts snare sound!

I only have two snares to compere (Tama Imperialstar Poplar 5x14 8 lug and the Artwood which is 5 1/2 x 14 10 lug maple with a thicker triple flange hoop). I will be dragging both snares around now to see how they sounds in different rooms. I feel the Poplar gives me the same grief in my home...
  5. T

Yes I was at the one in Murray Hill (Bell Labs, NJ). It was a great experience.
  6. T

I have been so frustrated with my snare sound lately. But it was great to play Wednesday night in that room .... and the guys in the band even commented how much they like the sound of the snare.
  7. T

thanks! I will look into that
  8. T

I have a Tama Artwood snare at home. I really like the design and look of the snare, but I typically play at home now for the lest 25 years or so. At home the snare sounds sort of dull and I am always tweaking it - never satisfied with the sound. Yesterday I went to a buddy's house who has a...
  9. T

Are these minor defects negligible?

good luck with it! Should not be an issue and the kit looks awesome.
  10. T

Physics of drum shells, wood type and (more importantly) THICKNESS

Agree. If you are sitting in the audience with a live band ... heads are going to impact the sound the most. (excluding amplification / EQ / Effects)
  11. T

Drum Candy podcast's Neil Peart episode

I saw that.... Great stuff. If I find the link I will copy it here.
  12. T

Isn't poplar a sub-par tone wood? If so, why does Gretsch use it?

I think Poplar got a bad rap since it was used in cheap kits when cheap kits were built with poor quality. Its wood that is easy to work with and readily available. But that does not mean it produces a poor quality tone. I think it sounds different enough than other wood / material but I...
  13. T

Your choices for Best low price , mid price and high end kit

Imperial Star! It was at a local shop here in NJ. I forget the name. They specialized in guitars and had the kit they wanted to get rid of.
  14. T

$4,000 Drum Set with Cheap Heads VS $400 Drum Set with Nice Heads

I am guessing all the low end lines ($700 and up?) from major manufacturers sound great with good HW. No more CB700 quality! My Poplar Tama's sound awesome.
  15. T

To splash or not to splash

I have an 8 and 10 Zildjian A Splash as well as a 2002 10" splash. I usually have the 2 10" up on the kit.
  16. T

Your choices for Best low price , mid price and high end kit

As far as low end kits below 1,000. I love my poplar shelled Tama Imperialstar kit. I guess for not much more you could get the maple shell Superstar (I picked up my kit for $500 brand new so could not pass it up). With Ambassador heads top and bottom the kit sounds great. shell...
  17. T

Hi Hat Mounting

great video.
  18. T

Hi Hat Mounting

Thanks all. Yes agree about cracking.
  19. T

Hi Hat Mounting

yeah this is sort of where I am at now ....
  20. T

Hi Hat Mounting

So this may be trivial but driving me nuts. How tight do you attach your top hi hat? Looking at older videos of Peart and others from the 60's and 70's, it seems that back then drummers really hat the top hi hat tight, while today most drummers go fo a loose sloshy setup. I keep going back...
Back