Search results

1. edvia

Other ways to mount a KickPort???

I was reading another forum where audio engineers were discussing the KickPort, and one of them (who didn't like the concept) said this: "Speaker ports are cut into the solid part of the speaker, not the resonating medium (would you cut a hole in the cone of a speaker?)" While I am a fan of...
  2. edvia

Swap 1.6mm hoops for 2.3mm?

I'm primarily a Gretsch guy, but my bop kit is a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch BeBop (8x12 tom, 13x14 floor, 15x18 bass). The drums sound great, especially for what I paid for them. However I have a slight issue with keeping the floor tom in tune. Unfortunately, Yamaha felt they needed to save a...
  3. edvia

Help me choose which thread to read about which kit to buy

There are just so many threads to choose from, yet only 24 hours in a day! So do I go with "Need help picking a drumset" or "Have to choose between three kits" or "Best kit for X dollars/euros/pounds/local currency" or one of the 10,000 other similar posts? Sheesh! Maybe just create one...
  4. edvia

Robotic Prosthesis Turns Drummer into a Three-Armed Cyborg

I just stumbled across this article, which I thought was very interesting. In short, Georgia Tech created an artificial limb that can be attached to amputees, which contains motors that power two drumsticks—one controlled by the musicians’ arms and muscle sensors, while the other acts...
  5. edvia

Take the Drummerworld QUIZ!

Test your knowledge (or try your patience) with this short but tough quiz. 1) Vinnie Colaiuta’s full name is mentioned in the lyric of a song. What song is that? 2) Zildjian in Turkish roughly translates to _________ 3) a tom with its diameter equal to its depth is known as what? 4) the...
  6. edvia

What does your kit say about your "drum nerdiness"?

Alas, we're all drum nerds, otherwise we wouldn't be here on dw. But what does your kit say about your level of "nerdiness"? Complete this questionnaire to find out. (Note: any additions to this list from when I originally posted it are in italics) Give yourself 1 point for each of these you...
  7. edvia

Any big name drummers do something to rub you the wrong way?

I'll give you an example. This was way back in the mid 90s when I was living in Oregon. I went to a local music store to see John "JR" Robinson giving a clinic. During the Q&A after he was done playing, some parents of a young would-be drummer asked his opinion of what would be a good set for...
  8. edvia

My Latest Recording

Greetings and thanks in advance for checking out this track, which is a really catchy indie rock tune with a cool snare/tom pattern I developed around the bass guitar. For the recording, I used a very simple 4-mic setup: two overheads (90-degree X/Y pattern), a Beta 52 on the kick and an SM 57...
  9. edvia

Sabian "Symbols" on Google

It's a sad day when even the autocomplete function on Google pulls up "symbols" instead of "cymbals" when you type in Sabian in the search bar. I've seen cymbals misspelled all over the place on eBay, Craigslist, etc., but this one takes the cake. Ugh. Does this constant misspelling piss anyone...
  10. edvia

If drums were cars...

If you had to equate a drum manufacturer to a car manufacturer, how would you pair them up (and why)? Below are a few examples that come to mind: Gretsch = Mercedes-Benz Both are classic, iconic brands that have been around forever. And even though Gretsch is an American company and M-B is...
  11. edvia

Refinishing shell interiors

Lately I've been contemplating refinishing the interiors of my shells using Tung Oil, but I wanted to ask around to see if anyone else has done this and could offer some advice. First, my shells are 100% North American Maple with unfinished interiors. They feel like typical unfinished...
Back