Search results

1. Capital D

Help Please: How to tune drums for big boomy gym??

It's been said already, but damp the drums more than you normally would. Also tune them a bit higher.
  2. Capital D

Looking for a smoother china cymbal

Yes! sometimes I use mine on my 1 cymbal and hats set up. It's a great crash, ride, and almost anything else I need.
  3. Capital D

Can't You See - From Last Thursday

Nice work! You guys sound great.
  4. Capital D

Hendrix stave 6x14 snaredrum.

I have a walnut Archetype 6x14 and it is a great sounding drum. The Archetype is the model Bongoman mentioned where the re-rings are routed into the staves. I really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with a Hendrix, Bozozoid.
  5. Capital D

Looking for a smoother china cymbal

I love the sound of my 20" Crash of Doom. It is like a buttery china. Has some great trashiness, but it isn't harsh the way a traditional china sounds. Also, the Pang Thang from Bosphorus or the one from Crescent are great china-ish cymbals that are in the realm of the Crash of Doom. I have...
  6. Capital D

Favorite pic of your own drum set

I've had those red sparkles for years. They're missing the reso bass drum hoop, claws, and rods and the floor tom bottom rim and rods. But they look cool on my shelf. One day I'll get some time and finish them up.
  7. Capital D

Crazy Wife, Happy Life.

I love a story with a happy ending! Congrats on the new kit and the awesome family!
  8. Capital D

Packing Lugs with Cotton Balls

I hear you. But I have been waiting for a chance to do it all at once. I didn't want to take them apart and then have them all sit apart while I put the free time together to finish the project.
  9. Capital D

So you got your cool snaredrum but then......

Ahh man, that's rough.
  10. Capital D

Gon Bops Congas

Gon Bops are great drums! I have LP Classics, otherwise I'd get me some of those.
  11. Capital D

So you got your cool snaredrum but then......

Now you gotta get another snare. Bummer... :LOL:
  12. Capital D

That is a good point.
  13. Capital D

That is exactly what happened here. I put on new Remo Vintage heads, then tuned it up and noticed the spring noise. I lived with it for a bout 2 months before I finally decided to pack the lugs. I've only had this noise on one other kit, an early 70's Slingerland.
  14. Capital D

That's good to know, jda. The guy I bought them from said they were late 50's / early 60's so I've just been saying 60's. All of the lugs on my kit have the round head screws. edit: And great looking drums! I like the 90's Broadcaster hardware. Of course the blue kit is gorgeous!
  15. Capital D

I recently picked up this 60's Round Badge and of course the lugs are making all kinds of spring noise. I played them for a month or two and then decided I would pack the lugs with cotton balls, a fairly common practice I know. Now the drums don't make that springy noise and they sound great...
  16. Capital D

Replacing Foam Inside Cases

Yeah, that does make some sense. Like crush zones on a car. I'm going to look for some old Weckl videos and see if I can find any of those discussions. Man, that takes me back. I used to watch/practice to Back to Basics just about every day after school the year it came out.
  17. Capital D

Amazon review on a Supraphonic

I wonder if he'd sell it to me on the cheap, since it is broken and everything. :LOL:
  18. Capital D

Good suggestion, thanks!
  19. Capital D

That's pretty interesting and something to think about. It would just be a matter of stripping out all of the old glue. Thanks!
  20. Capital D

I think it may be better if the adhesive isn't so permanent, because the foam certainly isn't.
Back