Search results

1. O

Unable to adjust DW 6000

I play in a shared rehearsal room that has a DW 6000 pedal. The pedal feels extremely loose, and I can't figure out how to fix this. I am unable to single out the part that I need to adjust. I tried tightening the spring, but even at what seems the tightest setting, the pedal is very loose...
  2. O

How do you record your practice sessions?

I want to record (video and audio) my practice sessions simply to listen to myself and look for things that I need to work on. I just need a decent sound, nothing professional. I tried using my phone, and the video quality is completely fine, but the sound is pretty bad. I'm looking for...
  3. O

Order of study: moeller, finger technique, push-pull

Assuming you have a good free stroke and wrist control in general, in which order would you study finger technique, Moeller and push-pull? Would you study them sequentially or simultaneously? Assuming you have 45 minutes a day for hand technique, would you focus on developing one of those...
  4. O

Making click tracks for practice

I'm not sure this belongs here, if I should post somewhere else, let me know. I'm looking for software to make click tracks with changes in tempo, subdivisions, alarms, muted bars, etc. The idea is to make 10-15 minute tracks a bit like Igoe's Lifetime Warmup tracks, for my own practice...
  5. O

Advice: left arm motion for fast double-stroke roll

When playing fast double-stroke rolls, we need to get the arms involved. I can get a smooth motion going on my right arm, where I feel like I'm "pushing" the arm onto the snare head. My left arm is more stiff, and as a result I get some tension and less power out of it. Do you recommend any...
  6. O

Rides similar to Meinl Big Apple Dark / Extra Dry Thin

I'm looking for rides with similar sound profile: very dark, dry, earthy, complex. I've seen some 24"/26" Turk Jazz rides from Istanbul with a similar sound, but I was wondering what else is out there (including from smaller/younger companies).
  7. O

Metronome settings: shortest note gets one beat VS denominator gets one beat

Hi everyone, I'm curious about the way you set your metronome for practice, especially rudiments. I think the most usual setting is: "denominator (of the time signature) gets one beat". That is, if the time signature is 4/4 and the tempo is marked as ♩ = 60, then you set the metronome...
  8. O

What is the name of the song played by Marc Guiliana in his VF Spotlight Performance?

Hi everyone, I just love that song and would like to be able to listen to it outside YouTube. Does anyone know the name of the song? Here's the link to the video I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/sCoYAsyKYqw
  9. O

Metronome app *with timer* for Android or PC

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a good metronome app with timer, that is, an app where you state how long you want the metronome to play. So far I've tried out the following Android ones. I thought I'd share my experiences: Metronome & Timer Pros: Several click sound options. Cons: Just a...
  10. O

Stave snare shrunk in size [photos] - seeking advice

Hi everyone, I have a stave snare that I hadn't used for over a year. I moved to a colder country and I think the exposure to colder temperatures may have caused the shell contraction. There is now a noticeable lug splay, as you can see on the pictures. I've been advised to put thicker lugs...
  11. O

Headphones for practicing Jazz / dynamics

Hi everyone, I know there are several threads about headphones for practicing. However, I haven't find any about headphones suited for practicing lower-volume genres such as Jazz, or for practicing dynamics. I've heard that the Vic Firth SIH-1 provide good protection and the sound is OK...
  12. O

Teachers in the Copenhagen area

Hi everyone, I am looking for a teacher in the Copenhagen area. Do you have recommendations? Thanks!
  13. O

Where can I buy tube lug gasket/spacers?

Hi, I'm looking for some thick tube lug gaskets for a snare drum. I've been googling drum part shops but I haven't found much. Does anyone know of a good shop that delivers to Europe? Thanks for the info!
Back