Search results

1. E

Modded my newer style Ludwig Rail Mount

I tried that too but it didn't make enough of a difference. The DW Ultralight stand has a loop of rubber in the grips that the drum sits on. It keeps the drum rim away from the metal and seems to let it move enough not to choke it.
  2. E

Quote honestly though, I regret the day I took ever a drill to these drums. A lightweight snare drum stand and a turn or two on the tom lugs top & bottom would have probably solved the problem. I use the DW 9000 Ultralight snare stand on my new kit and love it. It cost less and probably...
  3. E

When I bought my classic maple kit, it came with a virgin bass and a mountless tom. The snare stand I was using at the time was a heavy duty, double braced affair that sucked all the life and sustain out of the 13" tom. When I held it by the rim and hit it, the drum sang. In that snare stand it...
  4. E

Ludwig 3 ply Mahogany in Citrus Mod

Love it! I saw this kit for sale RIGHT after I put down the deposit on the Legacy and I must admit, had a brief pang of regret when I realized they were about half the price of the Legacy's. I think these are really special. I do wonder how those long rods would hold up being transported...
  5. E

Show off your Ludwigs? : )

Here are mine. First up is a Classic Maple in Green Sparkle. 24x14, 13x9, 16x16. I have this tuned up for projection and mostly use it when playing un-mic'd. Next is my new kit, Legacy Mahogany in Citrus Mod. 22x14, 13x9, 16x16. This kit is going to be more for studio work and close mic'd...
  6. E

Had a chance to play these out a few times over the last couple of weeks and am so pleased with the sound, feel and look of these drums. The low end on all 3 is so sweet. I'm running a coated powerstroke 3 on the bass batter, fibreskyn ambassador with a felt strip in the reso (probably should...
  7. E

Just had a visit from Purolator. Bearing edges look perfect. I think the fiberskyn reso looks great. So far everything looks to be as it should. A few observations so far are that the lugs do not have the black rubber grommets under them which other Ludwig kits seem have. I think I...
  8. E

Hi all, I wanted to share a story about some incredible service from 4 different vendors and show the amazing end result. I've been looking for a Ludwig 3 ply kit with re-rings for years. I live on Vancouver Island in BC which while not totally remote, doesn't see a ton of quality used vintage...
  9. E

Acrolite vs Supraphonic vs Classic Maple snare

So much good info here. Thanks for the input, please keep the ideas coming. Interesting to hear a couple of votes for the 6.5" Supra with a single ply for the low and fat sound. I'm going to practice with the Disco band tonight and have a gig on Sunday. Will report back.
  10. E

Acrolite vs Supraphonic vs Classic Maple snare

Hey everybody. I've just added a new snare to my collection and need some suggestions on how to make the most of my existing collection and parts. I currently living in a location where I can't make any noise and spending a few nights testing out different setups isn't an option. I want to make...
  11. E

Cleaning up a DW 5000 hi hat stand

What damage? It looks fine to me.
Back