Search results

1. TomRaaff

Istanbul Agop and Mehmet

Apparrently the two are two different brands. they have different sites and different lines.. So I was wondering what their relationship is. Are they two brands that cooperate intimately or something? Or are they concurents?
  2. TomRaaff

How to check out drums

Hi, I'm currently doing a lot of research on drum kits so that I can decide what kind of kit I might buy in the future. However, just checking out all kinds of opinions and technical facts on the internet doesn't cut it. I've seen that sites like cymbalsonly.com has really opened my ears to hear...
  3. TomRaaff

Flat Bearing Edge...?

Hi, I was recently tuning my snare drum and I never really paid any attention to my bearing edges because I simply don't really know what difference they make to your sound. But I was tuning my 13x3.5 snare and I noticed that it's bearing edge isn't nearly as sharp as my 14x6.5. In fact, I even...
  4. TomRaaff

Is this Set-up available besides custom built?

I have been a certain set-up in my head for what I imagine what my dream kit would be. So I've been looking for it, but I can't seem to find it besides custom drums. The set-up would be: 20x16 or 18 Bass 14x5 Snare 10x7 High tom 12x7 Mid tom (Or both rack toms 8" deep) 14x14 Floor Does anyone...
  5. TomRaaff

What if?

What if you made a snare drum like this? What would happen to the sound? Would it be singing more, or have a shorter sustain? (I photoshopped this one, I've never actually seen one like this.)
  6. TomRaaff

Straight back?

Hi, I've recently seens some pictures of my behind my kit and I noticed that I ben forward a lot through my back. I personly think it looks stupid and I've always been told that a straight back is better. Now, I'm practicing a lot with trying to keep my back straight (also when I'm not...
  7. TomRaaff

Drumhead sustain Q

I'm a little confused about the sustain of drumhead. I seem to get contradicting information. First of all, I've read that Coated heads are known for their sustain, but when I changed my clear heads for coated heads on the batter side and clear on the reso side, I definitely lost sustain. I...
  8. TomRaaff

Any advanced Jazz Coördination excercises?

Hi, I've been accepted to the school of music in Utrecht here in the Netherlands and the teachers told me to practice my Jazz skills a little more (since that was my weak point). So I'm looking for some Jazz excercises to improve my skills. Any tips?
  9. TomRaaff

Online cymbal buying

Hi guys, I've been checking out a lot of cymbals on the Memphisdrumshop youtube channel lately and I thought buying cymbals online would be a risky thing. But I've really come to like the 20" Istanbul Sultan Ride and I've checked it out on a lot of video's. And I know a place where I can get one...
  10. TomRaaff

School of music refusal

Hi, I had an entry exam for a school of music here in the Netherlands and I got refused for several reasons. One was that my playing was a little 1-dimensional. They phrased it as being a little flat. What exactly does it mean? They also said my playing wasn't very dynamic. I'm inclined to think...
  11. TomRaaff

Improvisation timing tips

Hi, I think improvisation is one of my weak points when I'm drumming. It's not so much the idea's but more the timing. Often when I hear myself on a recording of a new idea with my band (basically when I'm half improvising, half playing along the guidelines we set out so far), I seem to mess up...
  12. TomRaaff

Cymbal mufflers

Hi, I have already muffled all my shells with pillows and rubber plates, and I drum inside a small cabin with isolation materials on the wall. The only problem is that my cymbals haven't been muffled. Usually, the isolation on the walls take care of that. But there are two cymbals that stand...
  13. TomRaaff

Comparing remo - aquarian

Hi, I'm currently playing on Aquarian super-2's (coated on batter side, clear on resonant side) and I'm considering a switch to Remo head's. What I'd like to know is whether it's safe to say that Aquarian super-2's and Remo Emperors are basically the same kind of heads (since they're both 2-ply)...
  14. TomRaaff

How to buy a drumkit

Hi guys, I recently replaced my heads and it got me thinking about the actual sound of drums. I mean, how do you chose your kit when you know that the heads and their tuning make so much difference to how your kit sounds? How can you check out the characteristics of the drum you're playing? How...
  15. TomRaaff

Buying 18" a good idea?

Hi, I recently noticed that when I'm crashing my ride, my crashes aren't loud enough to make the impact I want them to have. And I am looking for a new ride-like sound. So I was thinking, wouldn't buying a thick 18" crash be a good idea? Is it correct to think that the combination of the...
Back