Search results

1. E

They are going to be big

Early 80's I saw an unsigned band that a lot of folks thought would be big,I thought they were better than most post punk bands I had seen but that was about it,the band was REM so boy was I wrong. Late 80's I went to see a friend's band open for anther band that had recently relocated to the...
  2. E

Brady snare 12x7 Jarrah block

I got to rehearse with a Brady 7 x 12 a few times,fantastic drum,sounded huge,was tuned med high. A lot of 12 snare drums are one trick ponies,the Brady was great as a primary all around snare also imo
  3. E

Why oh why

In my experience 18 × 22's hate going anywhere, through doors,staircases,in vehicles etc ,add the xtra length of the hoops and case and I bang into everything in sight. I find a 14 depth kick w a 14 ft reduces the foot print on tight stages significantly,neither my snare mounted Tom or cymbal...
  4. E

Cool huge vintage Tama kit

I understand that Premium sellers like Bennett and Maxwell charge more,they have a great reputation, have to pay rent on their stores and post videos and adds,but I see that kit going for 10000 max if you find the right buyer.
  5. E

Something weird is going on with my bass drum batter head.

Great responses so far. One possible solution might be get some sand paper and rough up where the ps 3 inner ring is touching the bearing edge to see if the head would bite and hold. Another possibility, since you are not losing tension it sounds like the t rod and insert are ok, it possible...
  6. E

I'm an idiot and feel bad (new band didn't work out)

Big difference between a rock band that thinks starting a blues band is just grinding out enough 12 bar progressions and a band that respects and understands what it takes to put together a show that will entertain and keep a crowd around all evening. A good blues show can be an exciting dynamic...
  7. E

About bass drum amp.

I have played in bands that didn't need to mic in most cases,but in some rooms the drums sounded boxed in especially the bass drum.I would put an sm 57 in the bass drum,back off the highs and mids and boost the lows a tad and that got the Bass Drum up in the mix and would pick up the snare...
  8. E

Covers or Originals

Mostly covers for me. I have played in two covers bands,one was a friend that I had played with in cover bands,we recorded 12 songs,he did everything but the drums, but I was there for the whole process and it was fun,I was happy that I was able to bring something to the table.I have to admit...
  9. E

Zildjian Stadium cymbals

Some marching and orchestral cymbals are really heavy,Dave Grohl said he would buy them used because they were cheap and would cut through the mix if you beat the hell out of them.
  10. E

Should an Outgoing Band Member Be Included in the Audition Process of Their Replacement?

Maybe the outgoing member shouldn't be there at the audition, but could be sent video/audio of the audition and add input later.
  11. E

Vintagedrum Forum

I am a long time member there, tried to post a reply the other day and it kept looping saying I was not logged in,even though it showed I was.
  12. E

Are Bars Going Acoustic?

In my area there is trend towards bars restaurants and coffee shops having acoustic and lightly miced amped acts with cajons and micro kits,was trending before covid . There are a few smaller 100 200 capacity bars still catering to classic rock,but start times have moved 8:30 and even earlier. A...
  13. E

Refinished DW

Great work! I have rarely seen a kit of DWs that scratched up.
  14. E

How come certain snare stands choke toms but not snares?

I found this issue to be a strange phenomenon, I had six snare stands to choose from ranging from a heavy duty Ludwig to medium to light. It turned out the two best were a med weight and a single braced older lightweight stand.I think the tilt and the feet on the stand have an influence. I have...
  15. E

A&F drums

Sometimes a boutique brand gains a great foothold in market, first one I remember was Orange County drums, I remember thinking they were way over priced for what they were and was surprised that the younger demographic they appealed to could afford them,but they had a good 10-12 year run.They...
  16. E

Play(ed) in a tribute band?

I was in a band that would back up the Drifters and Coasters in the Southeast,then we got a call to back up the Tokkens.I wondered what songs we would do because the only hit I remembered was The lion sleeps tonight. When we recieved the charts and tapes of the live show I saw that they had a...
  17. E

I was wrong about C&C drums

I saw a kit in the abalone finish in Sam Ash,one of the nicest finishes I have ever seen.
  18. E

When you're the most experienced in the room

I have played in a few bands where the players were not top notch,one band could be so bad it just dragged my playing down to nothing,it was exhausting,however if this band will listen to you and take direction from you you might be able to improve them enough to where you like playing with them...
  19. E

Bands in shows/movies

I read somewhere thar Billy Ward was the drum coach on the Wonders and that Everett Scott spent a few hours a day for months practicing.
  20. E

Shell size variance?

Premiers are a little undersized as well. Should not be a problem unless you have a metric or pre international sized shell,they have not been made in 50 plus years.
Back