Search results

1. buddhadrummer

Your Most Cockamamie Drum Gear Idea

Mine wasn't so much a cockamamie idea as it was more of a crackpot notion. (My musical life has been an endless stream of them, so it seems) Back in 1973 I added a heavy af Sonor kit to my collection. 14x24, 9x13, 11x14, 18x18 plus a D454 ferromanganese snare. I lugged this 500 lb mf around for...
  2. buddhadrummer

Keller Shells vid by Eddie Avakian

If you don't know about Eddie, check him out. His videos are well-informed and fresh. This video highlights the Keller company. The Keller Group consists of six strong companies. Very interesting.
  3. buddhadrummer

Paul Francis Interview

Paul's a cymbal nerd in the best possible way.
  4. buddhadrummer

Freedom from the Burden of Bad Sounding Drums

Thanks for all the replies. To clarify, I'm not talking about having "nice drums" but rather I'm referring to the part of the equation that is me. A good quality kit is no guarantee of a great sounding instrument. By the same token, you can get lesser quality drum set to sound very good...
  5. buddhadrummer

Freedom from the Burden of Bad Sounding Drums

I'd like to take this opportunity to express the joy and real freedom arising from those times when every part of your instrument sounds great. Exceptional. When each drum sounds great on its own and they blend together in such a way that nothing sticks out as unpleasant, annoying or just plain...
  6. buddhadrummer

Paul Francis Royal Cymbalcraftsman cymbals in workhorse weights

Those are nice Dana! I have a commissioned 22" from last year from Paul / Cymbal Craftsman.
  7. buddhadrummer

Finger length and bone structure of the hand

In agreement, I would expand your concept of the "whole system" to include experience, sensibilities, imagination, cognition, self-awareness, cultural exposure and awareness, listening skills, emotions, motives and many, many more attributes that comprise our whole selves. In my experience...
  8. buddhadrummer

Finger length and bone structure of the hand

From the shoulder down through the elbow wrist and hand, we have a total of 34 joints, 27 in the hand alone! Not only that, but as has been discussed above, we come in different sizes. I believe the size differential plays a lesser role than the complex individual comparative relationships of...
  9. buddhadrummer

Earl Palmer, New Orleans BD accent beat 4

Yeah, the 4 in a two-bar clave based rhythm adds a powerful syncopation to an already heavily syncopated beat. But you wouldn't want to do it too much, it is carefully placed.
  10. buddhadrummer

Ever had something on your kit that the sound guy DIDN’T like?

Cymbals. Haha. Sound techs generally don't like cymbals.
  11. buddhadrummer

Cymbalholics alumni

Member since 2003.
  12. buddhadrummer

Zildjian 21" K Special Dry Ride

Comparison clip of original and redesign versions. You'll notice the redesign sounds lower, that's mainly a result of the fact that this particular example is about 200g lighter than the original KCSDR in the comparison. Ultimately you'd want to compare specimens with a similar weight, to be...
  13. buddhadrummer

Haha. It's not a theory. You'll never "remove" those. It's the outer crust of the metal formed following several rolling and reheats, then a quench. It's the raw, unlathed surface. If you look at virtually any K Con you'll see the exact same thing. It's not a defect. It's part of the process...
  14. buddhadrummer

If you put two strategically placed rivets in there you'd get a bit more highs. No that's very common. These are areas of deeper hammering where the cutting tool skimmed over leaving the raw surface. Nothing to be concerned with. Regarding the cup, the cup is exactly the same in the original...
  15. buddhadrummer

Yes, in my experience the redesign is more assertive, more dirty, with a more pronounced stick. I feel the redesign is stiffer, and the projection comes from different hammering and maybe a bit more weight. The cup is the same as the original, so the increase in perceived loudness is not from...
  16. buddhadrummer

Having a hard time.

Suffering exists. The end of suffering is possible. Don't suffer your suffering. Practice gratitude and compassion. Help others who are less fortunate. Respect and care for your health and well-being. Being mindful of your intentions gives choice. Growth is painful sometimes, that's why most...
  17. buddhadrummer

Chinese Made B-20 Hand Hammered Cymbals-The List-UPDATED 02/23

Those cymbal listings on Alibaba are intended for western markets. For distributors mainly. Living in China myself for over ten years, you never see the familiar Chinese made brands like Dream or Wuhan and others. There are many blatant copies, particularly of KCons. Sound really horrible...
  18. buddhadrummer

Your perfect kit from drums in the past?

At this point I'd say for me it would be either a Gretsch RB 18/12/14 in Burgundy Sparkle, or a 60s Ludwig Jazzette, same configuration and wrap.
  19. buddhadrummer

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

I find internal mufflers to be a nice idea, in principle, but they just don't work for me. They raise the pitch, tighten the head slightly, and worst of all, they push up on the head when I am striking it downward. The resistance is counter intuitive. If I choose muffling at all, I much prefer...
  20. buddhadrummer

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

Recently I dug my Sonor D 454 ferro-manganese out of storage. I hadn't touched it since around 2005. It was my daily driver for like, ever. I set it up with Remo Vintage A and Canopus Dry wires (these are key to a nice sound, imo). No weird tuning, just a normal Bb. What a beauty! It's dry and...
Back