Search results

1. BrewBillfold

Speaking of practice pads

I'm just curious if anyone else here began their drumming career by playing on one of these kinds of practice pads: You know the "sloped block of wood with a piece of rubber" pads. My first teacher made me stick to that for about five months before moving on to other things! I probably...
  2. BrewBillfold

Book Recommendations

I'm looking for the most challenging books you are aware of, from the last 10-15 years, in these areas: (1) Funk (2) Jazz (3) Latin (4) Four-Way Independence & Polyrhythms (5) any Rudiment-based books--applying them to drumset, etc. It has to be from the last 10-15 years, because otherwise I...
  3. BrewBillfold

Underrated Drummers

I looked a few pages in, but didn't see a general "underrated drummers" thread here (I did see a most underrated poll in the General Discussion forum, but that's different). I figured it might be a worthwhile idea to have one thread for drummers who aren't very well known or who aren't much...
  4. BrewBillfold

Drummerworld site formatting

I don't know if something changed on my system or the website, but I'm getting a horizontal scrollbar on the site now. It started a few days ago. I didn't used to get one here. I didn't change anything about my display, by the way. Anyone else notice this, or is it something weird that...
  5. BrewBillfold

Another dumb question I've been meaning to ask for years--when did Mapex get good?

I was teaching at a music school in the very late 80s. Part of the set-up was that shortly after kids started taking drum lessons, the school would sell them an instrument to continue. The drumsets they were selling were Mapex. I'd never heard of them prior to that--I think this is when Mapex...
  6. BrewBillfold

Wow! Slingerland's Peacock Pearl Finish

Man, was that beautiful. I'd love a kit in this finish:
  7. BrewBillfold

Dumb question, maybe, but whatever happened to

Dean Markley sticks? I searched on the forum and could only find one mention of them. I used to use Dean Markleys as my main stick--I can't remember what model, I think it had "Rock" in the name, but that was YEARS ago, and I actually forgot about them until I was looking at a 1981 Modern...
  8. BrewBillfold

A poll spurred by discussions I've had with music fans elsewhere:

What decade did you start playing and what decade did you first join a band or start working with other musicians? Have you ever considered the Velvet Underground an influence on you? Approximately what percentage of musicians that you've worked with over the years are you aware of considering...
  9. BrewBillfold

Ever accidentally order something but just keep it anyway because you like it?

I just did with an Evans EMad resonant bass drum head. I had meant to order a new batter head and I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing, lol (my wife was probably blah blah blahing at me at the same time). But I like it. I finally replaced the plain old front logo head...
  10. BrewBillfold

"Hard Hitters"

It seems like there are many music fans who admire drummers if they're "hard hitters", and I've also seen some drummers priding themselves on this. Are you a "hard hitter"? What's your opinion on it? I don't actually know if I'm a hard hitter--probably not most of the time. It's not...
  11. BrewBillfold

Pump up the Battery

Anyone here ever do much work with other drumset players and/or percussionists (aside from orchestras or marching bands, that is)? I've played with a percussionist occasionally, but that's about it. It's something I'd like to explore more, especially ala the King Crimson or Ornette Coleman...
  12. BrewBillfold

Drummers and Motor Vehicles

If you have to sometimes haul your gear around in your own vehicle, do you tend to: (1) Buy drum sets/additions to drums sets based on how well they'll fit into the car you have or maybe the car you plan on buying in the future? or (2) Buy cars based on whether your drums and possible future...
  13. BrewBillfold

Looking for a product that I'm not sure was ever made

First, let me just state my idea: in the function of a floor tom, more or less, I was hoping to use something fairly big and deep (like an 18" (diameter) x 16" (depth) drum or maybe even a bit bigger) . . . and that has snares on it. I'm not even sure it will work the way I want it to, but I'd...
  14. BrewBillfold

Do you groove or at least keep time when you solo?

Just curious, after watching a lot of solos on youtube recently--from both famous drummers and not so famous, and both rock drummers and jazz drummers. I actually find it kind of frustrating that so many drummers do not bother with grooving or at least keeping time when they solo . . . a lot...
  15. BrewBillfold

Need help doing a "survey"

--A survey of drum manufacturers, that is. I'm still shopping for a kit, and I'm still not exactly sure what I want. One possibility is to go with plain old wood drums (as opposed to acrylic, for example, which is what I've played mostly in the past and like a lot, or steel, bronze, etc.--for...
  16. BrewBillfold

Dumb Questions maybe

Back