Search results

1. M

Progressing from a garage cover band to bigger stuff?

Hi all, Quick reintroduction- I joined these forums back in 2009 when I was in High School and remember spending a lot of time here watching videos and reading through threads as I was first learning the drums. I played for a couple years in my school's Jazz Band (and wasn't great) and when I...
  2. M

Other drummer's bad/nasty/uncomfortable drum sets!

I just feel i need to rant a little bit here. What is it about playing other people's kits that is just so annoying? I have been playing for just under two years, but i have my share of playing other people's drum sets and i just can't stand playing on a kit that is set up awkwardly, is in poor...
  3. M

Applying Free-Playing to music

Took me a while to come up with a lousy title, but anyways I just want to ask about practicing the drums with no goal in mind and simply letting whatever beat you have in you come out, or what I like to call Free-Playing. Okay lol I'm terrible at labeling stuff, but i hope you understand what i...
  4. M

Carter Beauford is now with Vic Firth

It's been a while since I've posted on here... Anyways. I just saw the post by DMB on Facebook, which includes a video of Beauford playing Spaceman. Just thought some of you might wanna see it. It might even be worthy of being put on the site...
  5. M

I'm struggling with the Samba!

Hey drummers. OK so i am in my school's Jazz Band and my song to play is "Brazil", almost exactly like the one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCT_CMfh_NM&feature=related . As usual, my teacher passed out the sheet music for the song, but as we began playing he told me that he didn't like...
  6. M

Bongos or Cajon... or Bongo Cajon?

So i have been putting together my Christmas list and I have been thinking about asking for some sort of hand percussion instrument to learn. I have always been curious about the Cajon, which is apparently a real popular instrument now (or maybe thats what Guitar Center wants you to think :D)...
  7. M

I don't listen to Led Zeppelin... introduce me!

In my time as a drummer over the last two years (it hasn't been long, has it?) and on these forums, i have heard unlimited praise for the legendary band known as Led Zeppelin, but never took the time to download and appreciate their music. Everyone on this forum loves John Bonham, and i finally...
  8. M

New Cymbal Ideas?

Recently, i began thinking "what new cymbals could be made"? There are already so many variations in cymbal groups that it seems to me that you cant do anymore to a circle (or other) of bronze. I finally figured out that someone should make something between a china and a bell, like a very small...
  9. M

I need invincible headphones!

Recently my 10th pair of headphones has broken and my parents have gone over the edge with buying me headphones after they break. I too, am tired of my headphones going out and i am in desperate need of headphones that wont break with normal use. Anyone have any suggestions? Price is probably...
  10. M

Harry Conway???!!!!!!!

So lately in my college English course (in high school), i have been tasked with writing an essay of definition. What i am defining: Rednecks (sweet, huh?) In my search to define the term "Redneck", i came upon a site where this guy claims to be searching for "Redneck Nirvana"...
  11. M

Recommended Metronome?

Whenever i practice, i usually don't play to a metronome, and when i do, it is a cheap one off of my ipod that i got from iTunes. The ipod metronome is usually more work than its worth for me, so i have decided to get a real one. I think the smart thing to do would be to ask you guys. What...
  12. M

Making the ultimate ergonomic drum set

Okay, so now i have seen two reviews on two drum changing products, the Remote Speedy hi hat and the Off Set Double (or single) bass pedal. I just thought it would be interesting to see both installed on the same set and how amazingly easy the drums would be to play. If someone had the money to...
  13. M

Modifying a Wood Beater

Okay so my bass pedal is a single chain Pearl pedal, sturdy and acceptable, but was sold with a Danmar wooden beater. I thought it was neat at first, but i just dont think it is giving me the sound i want. Is there a way i could modify it by wrapping it in any way because i don't want to have to...
  14. M

Finger Tightening Trouble

Hey Drummers. Lately i have been trying to defeat the Tuning Beast and have made some progress, but i have been confused about this term "finger tightness". Do you tighten it by turning the lugs on the threads, or do you simply turn the nub where the key should go? And when tuning the bass drum...
  15. M

Metal Bass Drum Hoops

Hey Drummers. I have always been wondering about my 24 inch Tama Rockstar DX bass drum, which has metal hoops instead of wood. How does this affect the sound in comparison to wood bass drum hoops? Can i still get an acceptable sound out of it?
  16. M

Working out before playing=relaxation?

Okay so a quick topic. Have you guys ever played the drums or the practice pad right after an arm workout? I have tried it out at night (on the practice pad) whenever i workout and take a shower and i have noticed that the workout tires out your hands and arms and gets them really relaxed...
  17. M

Jesus Christ Pose drum beat.

Hey drummers. I don't know if you guys like Soundgarden at all, but i love the drumming on the song Jesus Christ Pose. I tried to look up a tab for it, but there is none to be found. It's a difficult beat to figure out that goes all over the toms, so i ask DW if anyone is kind enough to help me...
  18. M

Music related school clubs?

Okay, so school started today for me and i have been thinking that since colleges like leadership in students than it would be a good idea to create a club for my school. I just want to know if anyone on Drummerworld has any cool ideas that would work or have had any cool music (or even...
  19. M

Favorite Moments in Music

I don't know if this belongs in Off Topic Lounge, but i'm not sure if anyone looks there so here goes: I think i have thought up a good question for all of you: What are some of your favorite musical moments, be it a great vocal section, guitar solo, drum beat, or really anything else you can...
  20. M

How do endorsements work?

This question comes to thought when i remember how the one "Mad Drummer" was in fact an endorsee of Ludwig drums. When i think of drum and cymbal endorsements, i think of the ability to simply call up the company and order whatever you want to play with whenever you want, for free. Is my view...
Back