Search results

1. S

Which cymbal pack should I get?

I would go with the Sabian AAX X-Plosion cymbal pack if you absolutely must buy one of these brand new packs. It's cheaper than the Zildjians but the same level of quality (if not better). X-Plosions have the sensitivity of A-Customs but even greater projection which is perfect for rock music...
  2. S

Sabian's best crash ride cymbal?

If stick definition is your highest priority I think the HHX Legacy Heavy Ride is the best. Super clear stick definition over a beautiful light wash and definitely opens up if you lay into it. If you want the perfect balance between stick definition and crash I would go with the HHX Groove...
  3. S

Is a snare bed necessary for floor tom/snare conversion?

In this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYwRLHMGbb0 is an awesome 14x14 floor tom with snare wires. I want to try doing the same thing by finding a used floor tom and installing a snare system on it. But it occurred to me that toms don't have snare beds so will I be fine without one...
  4. S

Saluda Diamond series Dark Accent swiss crash/ride review

I recently won an eBay auction for an 18" Saluda Diamond Dark Accent Swiss crash/ride and the cymbal arrived in the mail today. I am so impressed with this cymbal that I decided to post a review and share my experience. My first impression of this cymbal is that it is neither too thin nor too...
  5. S

Helped Needed for Pedal Repair

I have a DW 3000 pedal where the main bolt that connects the chain to the pedal board is bent. The pedal still functions fine, but it is impossible to unscrew the bolt and I'm not sure how to remove it. I got this pedal a few years ago and that bolt has snapped before as well as the hinge that...
  6. S

Your Favorite Snare Wires?

What are your favorite snare wires and why? I just purchased a used Yamaha Musashi Oak 13x6.5 and I'm looking to get a nice set of wires since the ones that it came with are damaged. I only have experience with stock wires on a Tama Swingstar, Starclassic, and Yamaha Stage Custom. For premium...
  7. S

Dream Vintage Bliss

I searched the forums and found Dream threads and Dream Bliss threads but nothing that focused specifically on the Vintage Bliss line. I was wondering if any of you out there have any experience with these cymbals and what your thoughts are about them? How do they compare with their standard...
  8. S

Please Help Identify Cymbal

I just purchased a Sabian SR2 Medium crash 18" for $100 bucks on Reverb, newly refurbished straight from the factory. I know these are refurbished/relathed cymbals from Sabian's AA, AAX, HH, HHX, and Vault Artisan lines. They're marketed as a "treasure hunt" because you never know what kind of...
  9. S

Zildjian Sweet Ride vs K Crash/Ride

In my search for the ultimate multi-purpose cymbal, I keep coming back to these 2 very popular and highly regarded models. In your opinion, which is the better do-it-all cymbal and why?
  10. S

Need help finding a new ride

Hey guys I need some advice in looking for a new ride cymbal. I currently play a Sabian AAX Stage 20" traditional finish. It's a wonderful versatile cymbal with good stick definition and decent crashability if struck hard at high volumes. What I'm looking for is something a little lighter and...
  11. S

Great hip hop drummers?

Oxymoron? Yeah a lot of hip hop is just drum machines and simple grooves, but there are uber talented drummers in just about any genre. This is a pretty recent sweet performance of Tony Royster during a live hip hop show at the famous Sayer's Club in Hollywood. Check it out at the link below if...
  12. S

Best drums under $1500?

In your opinion what are the best drums in this price range considering shell quality, craftsmanship, customization options or lack thereof, and affordability? Also do you think at this price range a used kit would be better than buying new?
  13. S

Favorite floor tom size and why?

Some drummers prefer traditional square floor toms while others prefer the more modern slightly shallow floors. DW has their FAST sizes that go even more shallower (e.g. 16x13). And I've seen people mix and match, for instance a 14x14 paired with a 16x14. I'm curious as to what you guys prefer...
  14. S

Did yamaha ever make a 6" tom

http://kumu.fi/index.php?lang=en This guy makes custom 6" toms and does special color requests but it might cost you an arm and a leg. Sea blue is a GORGEOUS finish! Please share some photos if you don't mind :-)
  15. S

Kids drumkit

This Pulse 3-Piece Deluxe Junior kit on Musician's Friend is the smallest I could find and it has extremely favorable reviews with 200 ratings averaging a score of 4.5/5 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/pulse-3-piece-deluxe-junior-drum-set?pfm=sp I read some of the reviews and...
  16. S

Great hip hop drummers?

Tony Royster Jr. and Aaron Spears are the best drummers I've heard playing hip hop.
  17. S

New to e drums, looking for a kit...

Roland and Yamaha are the top dogs of the e-drums market and they make the best products. If you don't like rubber pads, the next step up is Roland's mesh pads and Yamaha's DTX silicone pads. I personally prefer the DTX silicone pads as they produce a much more realistic stick rebound than the...
  18. S

Which drumsticks work best with electronic drums?

The best drumsticks for electronic kits HANDS DOWN are the Zildjian Anti-Vibe series with nylon tips! The Anti-Vibe sticks are hickory with a special insert within the sticks that acts as a shock absorber. This helps to reduce the vibrations of your stick that would otherwise damage it. I've...
  19. S

What's your latest purchase?

I recently bought a Tama Speed Cobra single pedal. I upgraded from a DW 3000 which I am very disappointed with! The 3000 is flimsy and feels like DW cut corners to make an affordable pedal. On the contrary, the Tama Speed Cobra feels comparable to the DW 9000 but it's like $150 cheaper!
  20. S

12x8 or 13x9 for single rack tom??

Which size do you guys prefer? I'm planning the shell dimensions for a new kit and I'm having trouble choosing a rack tom size. I'm planning a 1 up 3 down kit with a 24x16 kick, 16x14 18x16 floors, a third 15x13 floor to the left of the hat, and either a 12x8 or 13x9 rack. I like 3 floors for...
Back