Search results

1. Morrisman

Drum head choice - riddle me this!

Does it do the sound when you take the snare away from the kit? It might be one of the toms reacting with the snare head. Press each tom head, top and bottom, to find which drum is doing it, then tune it a bit higher or lower.
  2. Morrisman

How do you move your hardware (to gigs)?

I have the Tama bag/case with wheels. Throne goes in there with everything else. My bass pedal goes in a triangular bag, which then goes in with the hardware. My (small) stick bag goes in too. I’ll try and take a photo tomorrow…
  3. Morrisman

PA and monitoring for a singer

I just bought a jbl eon710 to use as a vocal monitor. Small, clear, powerful. It has multiband parametric eq and a feedback destroyer built in, which is really handy when using a simple mixing desk. It has an App which can control the EQ, etc. via bluetooth. I’m very happy with it.
  4. Morrisman

Does anyone use this type of earplugs while drumming?

I have two pairs of the etymotics - one flanged rubber, one with foam. I like them both, but the foam are better for louder gigs. I had some earasers, but they fell apart after a couple of years.
  5. Morrisman

Most (self-)muffled bass drum reso head

The DW head with several 1 inch holes around the perimeter might be a good option. Or you could drill the holes yourself into a solid head.
  6. Morrisman

tunning tom from top, or bottom

I take it off the stand and tune both sides. Easier to move around the circle getting the lugs even. I personally tune the resonant side higher. I finish off with the tom on the stand and fine tune the top head to get the feel and tone I like.
  7. Morrisman

Tempo

Rick Beato has an episode on this. He looks at AC/DC and The Police and finds the Choruses a few clicks faster than the Verses. Some Rolling Stones songs speed up through the song (esp. Route 66) Live versions often do it for effect - the energy builds throughout the song, gives it something...
  8. Morrisman

Drums in your Monitor? Yay or Nay?

I used to have bass drum in the monitors, but since I got a Kickport I don’t need it. I need vocals then guitar, keyboard and maybe bass if the bass amp isn’t nearby. My snare, toms and cymbals are plenty loud enough live.
  9. Morrisman

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

What I like about you I always heard this half a bar out. The guitar starts on beat 1. I always felt it played two notes before the downbeat. I’d always miss the hanclaps by two beats…
  10. Morrisman

Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

The guitar starts on 4&, so the downbeat is the 2nd guitar note. (Drive my Car)
  11. Morrisman

First Snow Today: We Are Cancelled Tonight

Summer storms here in Australia forced a couple of beachside bars to close today, due to the risk of lightning. Hot, humid, then thunder storms and heavy rain.
  12. Morrisman

Asking here-Cases vs Bags

I prefer bags for local gigs in my own car. Takes less space in the car and I can carry several at once. At the gig I fold the bags down to save space backstage. I also prefer a soft cymbal backpack - easier to carry them on my back, and quicker to get the cymbals in and out. However, for...
  13. Morrisman

Quiet gigs but with a good feel - which 'stick'?

A couple of people have suggested muffling the drums. I’d start with O rings, then maybe paper napkins taped on, then tea towels like Ringo. Or upside down drum heads sitting on top, or the neoprene pads. Take of the bottom heads? Fill the drums with foam or cloth?
  14. Morrisman

The Only Covers I Want To Play Are....

I’ve had the inverse experience recently. I’ve been playing in a Brazilian band here in Australia. We’ve done gigs where every song was unknown to me, but the crowd knows every word, sings along. As the only non-Brazilian I do my best to copy the original parts, but have no connection with the...
  15. Morrisman

12 Tom constantly goes out of tune

Like someone above, I’d tune to a higher pitch. Higher tension will help the screws stay put.
  16. Morrisman

Ending cover songs that fade out

I’m in 3 bands that play Crazy Little Thing Called Love. They each do a different ending - I really have to concentrate. One does a bar of fast triplets then a long chord. One does a bar of quarter nite triplets then a long chord. One plays the end riff from You’re My Best Friend - three...
  17. Morrisman

whats the first triplet song that comes to your head? Please mention which instrument provides the triplet feel in your comment

Never Tear Us Apart - INXS The synth/strings set up the triplets int he intro.
  18. Morrisman

TrackTalk: Aaron Comess on "Two Princes"

Yes, Chris Brady stopped building around ten years ago. The prices for second hand ones have tripled/quadrupled.
Back