Search results

1. mikyok

Band members with financial and health problems

My bassist is the complete opposite of yours who had to tip toe around his better half. Mine's just that tight with money he squeaks and it's generational because his dad is a bassist who's just as tight with money. I remember years back when we did original stuff having to frog march him into...
  2. mikyok

Band members with financial and health problems

This is a tough one. Personally I'd say if the goal is to have fun do just that. Knock the gigging on the head and just get a practice space somewhere. Sounds like more of a social thing than a money making thing. Who wants to have an awkward conversation with a friend. Bands are ten a penny...
  3. mikyok

The worst cymbal Zildjian ever made...

Get a brilliant finish one!
  4. mikyok

I'm already subscribed to the channel and this vid sums up exactly what I'm on about regarding earth rides lol!
  5. mikyok

Worst Zildjian I ever owned was a 90s 22" Earth Ride. A mate of mine had a 20" Brilliant Earth Ride that was amazing but this thing wasn't a brilliant finish and sounded like someone had drilled a hole in a wok and put it on a cymbal stand. That's the double edged sword of B20 Zildjians. You...
  6. mikyok

Steve Gadd Meet & Greet

Saw him a few years back with James Taylor who supported Paul Simon. He's so good to watch even when he's in neutral. I'm still upset he didn't come back on stage and do 50 Ways and Late in the Evening. I'd have taken a 400 for him to sign. It's what he did all the goood stuff on!
  7. mikyok

I just doubled my snare count

On the slippery slope now ;) I've only got 6 snares. You'll get a 400 & a 402 next. You're the right side of the pond for used supras too.
  8. mikyok

what's the difference between the Groove and the Pocket?

That's the magic of finding a great bassist. You just get a telepathic understanding and knowing that if one goes out the pocket, the other stays. When you're both in the pocket you're a sum greater than your parts. All dependent on the band who drives it. I'm more than happy to drive a band...
  9. mikyok

what's the difference between the Groove and the Pocket?

Groove is feel and pocket is that foundation you build with a bassist that the whole band builds off.
  10. mikyok

What’s your most recent accomplishment when it comes to playing?

Recording 9 demo tracks in a day with jet lag and Texas steak and brisket withdrawal symptoms
  11. mikyok

Making money as a drummer - getting better or worse?

If you never have to worry about noise limiters and venues that aren't suited for bands then you have nothing to fear. Stick with the real thing until you absolutely have to do something about it.
  12. mikyok

Best of luck with that. Outdoor sound is a funny one and you need a massive sound system to do outdoor gigs. Just hope wind isn't blowing in the wrong direction! It's stuff like this that's forced my hand to get an electronic set. It's a double edged sword for me. I don't like using them live...
  13. mikyok

Poll: What most affects a snare's sound?

As long as the snare is well made and the shell is round then its heads. Everything else is personal preference.
  14. mikyok

This! If you're doings pubs, bars and clubs here you'll get £50-£75 a night max in a band. Tip jars don't exist. I was getting £50 doing pub gigs when I was at uni 20 years ago. The other thing I don't think I've read on this thread is having to evolve with technology now (and the expense that...
  15. mikyok

How Much Would You Pay for a Pitted Supraphonic?

Chrome has always been hit and miss on supras but you don't hear with your eyes! If it sounds good buy it. Supras are a snare for life and $350 isn't too bad for a snare for life.
  16. mikyok

You put those down to experience, the one I mentioned was the extreme end of the scale and a very odd night. We get weddings where you question why they bothered booking you but you plaster the fake smile on and plough through it counting the money as you go. I couldn't do weddings full time...
  17. mikyok

Why Van Halen III Featured Eddie Van Halen -- Not Alex -- On Drums

Randomly listened to A Different Kind of Truth yesterday. Love AVHs drum sound, especially on Van Halen II. A Different Kind of Truth would have been a way better album had they kept Mikey in the band. Van Halen III was a trainwreck, think I tried to listen to it once. Gary Cherone tries to...
  18. mikyok

Snare Demo Videos: What's Good, What's Bad

Here's the thing folks, no retailer is gonna call a piece of crap, a piece of crap. They're businesses and they want your money. With youtube gear product demos it turns out you can polish a turd. Glad I'm from the old school like a few replies here. My first pro level snare is my trusty 402...
  19. mikyok

Zildjian is "Bringing Back" something on April 9, 2024

Just seen the DCP vid and they sound as clangy and awful as I remember. They even compared them to good ol' rudes and the rudes are still way better. Rude hats are way more versatile than folk give them credit for
  20. mikyok

is this worth picking up or am i wasting my money?

How have I never found the shop in Drogheda, that's where my mother in law lives!
Back