Search results

1. Ainulindale

first double pedal - advice?

hey guys! just went out and got a shiny new SpeedCobra, never owned a double pedal before and was just wondering what advice you all have for this total noob, anything on playing or technique, cause i'm completly oblivious ;-)
  2. Ainulindale

cheap cymbals - wasting time, wasting money?

i made the mistake of buying a Sabian B8 cymbal pack, almost 300$ canadian, in the end it was (imho) a complete waste of money - they were cheap cymbals that sounded cheap, i could not replace them fast enough, it took 2 months of scrimping, but i got myself some quality hand hammered b20 pies...
  3. Ainulindale

overtones...

what causes overtones in cymbals? i know when a drum is out of tune, its a tension issue, adjust the tension rods as neccasary and voila, nice even tone. so if overtones are present in a cymbal - what causes it? bad lathing, hammering, out of round shape???
  4. Ainulindale

drum kit with a black finish?

wether its piano, natural, glitter or whatever have you, do you like drum kits with a black finish? do you own a black set? have you in the past? why or why dont you like it? curious...
  5. Ainulindale

piracy ; worse case senario...

so, just a couple buddies hanging out, cards, rum, music, master of puppets came on and the conversation came around to downloading free music, lars and all that, one friend said, quote "worst case scenario, the record companies will go under and we will be forced to see our favorite bands live...
  6. Ainulindale

i dont play metal, but should i play a double pedal anyway?

i desperately need to upgrade my bass pedal, the stocker that came with the stage customs is just terrible (the one real sore spot on an otherwise great kit), now i dont play metal, dont have the inclination to learn either, but could i still use a double pedal? i do enjoy playing around with...
  7. Ainulindale

Yamaha's website is terrible!

i'm sorry, this is just a rant because of the bug up my ass, but wow - i could'nt imagine a more cumbersome, difficult, obscure, uninformative and outdated website for drums - in a word, terrible. really, truly, terrible. i play and love my Yammies and so when looking at a new snare wanted to...
  8. Ainulindale

13" Snare Drums?

just looking for feed back from owners of 13" snare drums, brass in particular, but any opinions on the 13" size would be great, the big question would be - how well does a 13" snare drum work as a main snare? thanks guys!
  9. Ainulindale

Twenty Series Rides...

looking for info and opinions on the Paiste Twenty Series Rides, thinking about the 21" ride with a pair of 13" hats and 18" thin crash, but nobody has them in store and i am unable to play them in person, want to put together a "funk/blues/pop" setup and was thinking these three would be a good...
  10. Ainulindale

next big purchase coming, is it the right one?

need some help DW! probably just a hand to hold and someone to tell me its all okay ;-) so my next big "fall" purchase is coming up, two things, a cymbal setup for funk, blues, jazz, etc or, an ekit to improve/lenghten quiet practice time... think i know the answer already, i really want the...
  11. Ainulindale

revamped Black Panthers?

just noticed the little changes Mapex made to them and i am so impressed, these snares were already great, but giving them individual touches, they seem to have improved an already fantastic line of snare drums i have been thinking about upgrading my snare for a while, something beefier for my...
  12. Ainulindale

mounted tom question...

hey guys, looking to get a mounted tom from musicians friend, i have 10x8" and 9x12" rack toms right now and a 16x16" floor, was wondering which would be a better fit - a 13" or 14" rack tom? i run several set ups, am getting a double pedal and the tom soon, so i can better tackle some metal...
  13. Ainulindale

Paiste home page...

can anybody tell me what the song is that plays for the new Alpha Brilliant cymbals? chris cornell? thanks!
  14. Ainulindale

just how bright are they???

paiste 2oo2's that is, in particular the "regular" crashes at 18" and 20" designations, i only have 16" crashes to compare the 2oo2 to either zildjian A's or sabian AA's, thought the 16" wasnt too much brighter but had a little more "glass" to the sound, a sharper, shorter body maybe (wow, poor...
  15. Ainulindale

drilling B8 crash to O-zone crash...

hey guys, thinking about drilling out my clunker 18" B8 crash/ride so i get an O-zone type cymbal, just looking for a darker sound - anyone try this? and any opinions on hole size? thanks...
  16. Ainulindale

Horehound ( the album... )

anybody else listen to this incredible album? Jack White's latest brainchild, he shares the drumming and guitar duties and takes most of the credit for production i just find the album is a flawless example of not just how less is more, but how less can be subtle, inticate and mesmerizing, this...
  17. Ainulindale

ordering Yamaha components after the fact...

i play a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch, the toms are 10 and 12 racks and a 16x16 floor tom, i'm thinking about putting in an order for a 14x14 floor tom, i love the drums and the hardware is great, but i would really like a 1up/2down set up... so the question is, does anybody have any experience...
  18. Ainulindale

striking crash cymbals...

so i just found a crack in my new 18" med. crash, had it several months, now i'm sure not gonna say this to my drum shop, but i'm worried it's my technique because i stopped smashing the drums hard when my tuning really improved ( and my playing ) - so i guess what i'm asking is - could someone...
  19. Ainulindale

Cymbals that actually match the sound file?

we all go through a lot of trouble trying to find the right sound from our cymbals, they are'nt cheap, so i thought maybe we could list the cymbals that we have bought and played that actually match the cymbal makers online sound file - something to keep them honest ;-) Meinl 15" Traditional...
  20. Ainulindale

just got the Meinl's!

so the long wait is over, i've only had about an hor to set them up and play around a little, so i'll save the reviews for after the weekend - but i finally have them!!! the pies are Meinl Byzance Traditional ( Medium weight ) - 15" hats, 24" ride, 18" crash, good ol' rock cymbals! pic's!
Back