Search results

1. makinao

Show your Frankenstein kit

All Pearl. 10" Decade Maple, 12" Prestige Series, 14" Competition Snare/Tom, 16" Midtown kick. Various snares.
  2. makinao

Plastic straps verses strings to secure the snare wire

I’ve had plastic straps forever. Some used drums came with strings or wires, but I replaced with straps because the strings were threadbare at the joints.
  3. makinao

Recommend some new hi-hats for me

My 70s New Beats are about the same age. Wasn’t looking to replace it. But I saw a used pair of sound edge 2002s at a giveaway price. They are like night and day. If you’re looking for a counterpoint to your new beats, get the Paiste’s. http://akoangpapalo.blogspot.com/2022/07/two-icons.html
  4. makinao

How to combine cymballs

My cymbal collection has different brands and types of cymbals. I feel each cymbal in a setup should be unique. For example, my current home setup has: 10” Armand splash 14” 70s New Beats 16” Turkish dark crash 16” Stagg Traditionals China 18” 2013 A Zildjian thin crash 18” Silken Trois crash...
  5. makinao

I gave up on Snom

I have an old Pearl Competition mahogany 8-lug 14x10 snare as a snom. It took me a year of experimenting to get it right. Right now it has an Evans hydraulic red batter and Remo ambassador snare side with everything tensioned low, and the 20-strand snares at medium tightness. Lastly, I stuck a...
  6. makinao

How do you inventory your collections

Spreadsheet. Fields are brand, model, description, serial #, size, acquisition price, source, comments.
  7. makinao

Micheal Shrieves Auction drum kit

Really?
  8. makinao

The ALUMINUM Snare thread.

Has anyone tried a Tama hand hammered 3mm aluminum 14x5.5 (PA355H) ? Someone near me is selling one, and I'm intrigued. I've never had an aluminum drum before.
  9. makinao

What's your latest purchase?

Yes. I’ve seen the rings‘ order changed in YouTube , but haven’t tried it yet. I’m having too much fun with its stock setup. i want to try making a piccolo by using only one of the rings and 3.5” free floating lugs. I found a store selling a set of 10 for only usd45.
  10. makinao

Yes it is. 2 brass and 1 steel interlocking 3mm shells, SR-1000 strainer, Mastercast hoops, free floating frame, 7 kgs total weight.
  11. makinao

Just snagged a Tricolon yesterday. What a drum! HEAVY, LOUD, SENSITIVE, BADASS!
  12. makinao

Getting to know the four piece drum set

I played a 5-piece throughout the 70s to the 80s, then stoped playing in the 90s. When I went back to playing in the 2000s, I had a 4-piece. Aside from the ride being in a more reachable place, it felt uncomfortable. Fills became almost non-existent, and mostly played just snare and kick. It was...
  13. makinao

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

Is the answer in the heads? Possible. My Pearl Maple 10x6 Popcorn did not ring with an Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side. But it does with a Remo Diplomat Snare Side.
  14. makinao

Do people actually like the “ring” of metal snares?

Three out of my eight snares are wood. With certain setups, they ring too.
  15. makinao

Nice. Are those "Brilliants"?
  16. makinao

Snagged a used Black Beauty 14x5 for USD100!!!!!!! I'm sure it's brass because 1) magnets don't stick to it, and 2) there are letter "BR" stamped on the shell under the throw off. There is no sticker inside the drum, so 1) I can't date it, and 2) it might be a "B stock". I'm also sure the hoops...
  17. makinao

Pearl Prestige Series

Hi. Does anyone have info on the Pearl Prestige Series? It's not a Prestige Session, or anything with an affix. I got a 12" tom a few months ago. The insides are very nicely finished, it looks like 6 plies, and it sounds very nice. Enclosed is a picture with the badge. Someone is offering me...
  18. makinao

Sansui SP 2500 Speaker... where is the mid-range in this picture?

Perhaps he knows how to fix speakers.
  19. makinao

What devices do you listen to music on?

car: car stereo bedroom: tv/dvd/appleTV/chromecast > onkyo 9010 > B&W 685s2 + ASW600 workstation: macbook pro > focusrite 18i20 gen 3 > Mackie MR8 mk2 + MRS10 headphones: sennheiser HD 25 SP, HD 280 pro, HD 598cs, HD 58X Jubilee, HD 650. wireless monitor: sennheiser ew 300 iem + ie 40 pro.
  20. makinao

20" Azure ride 2035g

Sorry to necrothread. I just got a 20" Azure used for the equivalent of US$80. 1976grams. Want to know more about it. 1) When was the production run? 2) Is it out of production? 3) Does this really sound similar to "old Turkish Ks"?
Back