Search results

1. D

Having a hard time.

Heavy subject alert. Hey guys. Haven't been on the forum in quite a while. I'm gonna cut straight to the chase, I've been dealing with some mental struggles that have greatly affected me musically, and I wanted to know if anybody has ever experienced similar symptoms to what I've been dealing...
  2. D

...Did I Rock So Hard That I BURNED My Snare?

You read the title right. Today I changed the batter head on my snare after about a month, and discovered what appear to be friction burns that weren't there before. Snare is a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum, and the head was an Evans Genera Dry. There are little marks like this all around the edge...
  3. D

Advice on Gretsch Renown tuning.

Hey guys. I finally took the plunge and bought the Gretsch Renown kit that I was drooling over for years, in the 24" 13" 16" configuration. It's awesome, I really love it. Huge sounding, and huge feeling. But right now I'm kind of in the stage where I'm experimenting in head combinations and...
  4. D

DW Design Series Snare Hoops

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying a DW Design Black Nickel over Brass snare. Seems like a total steal for the price. But I can't find the thickness of the hoops anywhere (which is not very reassuring). I know they're triple flange, but I don't like using any thickness less than 2.3 mm. The 1.6...
  5. D

Got a new china! (Deal of the century???)

Every time something cool like this happens, I get so excited that I have to share! Today I went to a pawn shop quite a ways out of town, because I've had pretty good luck at this one with musical equipment in the past. I went with the hopes of replacing my recently-cracked right side "crash"...
  6. D

Calling All Gretsch Renown Owners...

I've been itching for a new kit for a while now. For years now I've been playing my PDP X7 kit (the first release poplar ones, not maple) and am just kinda fed up with the tone of the drums. The soft wood really doesn't do it for me. It doesn't resonate very well, and I don't think the drums...
  7. D

Curious about value of President kit, Pearl is silent.

I sent an email to Pearl about a week ago, asking if they had more info about the '68 President kit I got a while back. I'm trying to find an approximate value, considering the condition of the drums, the rare badge and finish, all that jazz. Like I said, it's been over a week since I heard from...
  8. D

Vintage Pearl kit! Second Opinions?

Scored on what the dealership and I both believe to be a 1968 Pearl Super Deluxe kit. Pretty good drums, I've gotta say. Thin, mahogany shells. If they are indeed luan, they've been treated in such a way that they are rock solid, because there isn't anything soft about this wood. They really...
  9. D

Snare stand too small.

Hey guys. So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I am really tall. XD I used to set up my kit at around the same height as all my other drummer friends, but seeing how I'm 6'3 (and most of my height is in my legs), it wasn't very ergonomic. So I changed my set up. I used to use a 5" deep Chad Smith...
  10. D

Who was your first drum clinician?

Tomorrow I am going to a drum clinic to watch Kenny Aaronoff. It's my first clinic and I am pretty excited to see him play. But since I really enjoy other musicians' stories, I figured I'd ask: who was the drummer at the first clinic you ever went to?
  11. D

Question about a 60's Zildjian...Medium Ping Ride?

You read it right. I don't have any pictures, but I have an authentic Zildjian ride that I've dated to the 60's (before everything was heavily automated). It's a 20", and it's pretty thin, especially by today's standards. It sounds almost identical to the sound files of the 21" Sweet Ride...
  12. D

Strange cymbal (GIG Percussion)

Alright, so I found this cymbal at a pawn shop for $30 bucks; figuring if anything I could resell it and get my money back. It's an 18 inch crash, and is in fact made of B20 bronze; though in the picture it looks like brass (bad camera). It sounds really dark and low pitched; and kind of like a...
  13. D

What is this thing?

I picked up this snare in a pawn shop for $40 bucks. I went out on a limb here I know, but it had puresound wires and new heads. It is in perfect shape, and the bearing edges are flawless. It sounds amazing and I haven't even changed the tuning. But still, I want to know what it is. So, uh...
Back