Search results

1. Hollywood Jim

Cymgard ??

I think they made cymbal mutes. I love my cymbal mutes. They work great !! .
  2. Hollywood Jim

Shure 215 in-ears, am I missing something?

Yes, no hearing protection back in the 60's and 70's. AND, even though the guitar amps were loud back in the day; the loudest instrument was always the snare drum. And guess which band member was always closest to the snare drum. .
  3. Hollywood Jim

Keith Moon

When drummer Keith Moon blew up his drum set on stage, the explosion left Pete Townshend deaf in one ear. And eventually contributed to his future hearing loss. I sould have said "may have contributed to Pete's hearing loss. .
  4. Hollywood Jim

Shure 215 in-ears, am I missing something?

I use a pair of cheaper in-ears. I run the sound through a small battery operated headphone amp. Works great. I can also run the sound through my 4 channel mixer that has an equalizer. That would be even better. .
  5. Hollywood Jim

Faking the Buddy Rich thing....

I copy Gene Krupa. It's easier and just as effective. The audience simply wants butt moving rhythm and a few drum solos. .
  6. Hollywood Jim

Learning the language of drums

Very interesting discussion. My father was a drummer. My mother was a singer. In our house music was always playing. And when there was no music playing my mother was singing. I remember as a toddler sitting in front of my father’s bass drum while he was playing. My back was against the drum...
  7. Hollywood Jim

Snares at Live Venues Don't Sound Like the Tunings I Read About on Forums

Well, it sounds like he is tuning his drum in a perfect place to tune his drum. Then it sound bad at a gig. So I'm thinking he needs to just reverse the process. And if he can tune his drum is a garage with loud music playing then it should sound good in a band in a dive bar. How many gigs...
  8. Hollywood Jim

Snares at Live Venues Don't Sound Like the Tunings I Read About on Forums

#1 Tune your snare drum in the largest room you have. An empty garage is good. #2 Set up a large PA or a big stereo with large speakers. #3 Play the song “Jump” by Van Halen. Turn it all the way up #4 Tune up your snare drum while the song is playing. .
  9. Hollywood Jim

I’m getting tired of the drama in music.

I agree with you DrumDoug. Almost every band I was ever in fell apart because of the drama. In general musicians have big egos. If you are in a band where everyone gets along and they all have fun playing, you are very lucky. The last band I was in I was good friends with the singer. The...
  10. Hollywood Jim

What band or bands that changed members became better or worse in your opinion?

In over 70 years of playing, all of the bands I left got worse. .
  11. Hollywood Jim

Sparkle Kits?

Speaking of cymbals....... When will we be able to buy sparkle cymbals? .
  12. Hollywood Jim

Coming up with fresh ideas

Use the melody and the phrasing of the words to create the drum fills. I assume each song has different words, phrasing and a different melody. Listen to Keith Moon and how his drum fills matched the singing and the guitar parts. .
  13. Hollywood Jim

Is it ethical to use a tool to generate music and not claim the tool was used?

I submitted your question exactly as written to AI. (The iAsk website.) Here is the answer: Ethical Considerations of Using AI-Generated Music In the realm of music creation, the advent of AI technology has introduced new possibilities and challenges. One such challenge is the ethical dilemma...
  14. Hollywood Jim

The First Drummer Sent to the New British Colony.

I visited Jametown, Virginia this week. It was the first British settlement in American in 1607. I found it interesting that one of the few people that set up this first colony in the new world was a drummer. Actually it is more than interesting. I'm not sure what to think. A drummer among...
  15. Hollywood Jim

Moving to AZ next week

Welcome to Arizona!!! Join the “Phoenix Area Drummers” group on Facebook. You will meet a lot of nice people. We don’t need no more drummers in Arizona. Got too many already. I’ll be seeing you at the local open mic jams. There are several every night. It will be great to meet you. .
  16. Hollywood Jim

"Don't Stop Believin" What Did You Play?

This has been a good thread, good subject with good comments. However, I think it's close to closing time for this thread. Sorry but A J made me remember something. I have played "Born Under A Bad Sign" by Cream many times. And every time I want to play the beautiful groove that Ginger...
  17. Hollywood Jim

Well, to be fair you have to imagine the second half of the song being played with a simple 2 and 4 drum part. Then compare it to the original. .
  18. Hollywood Jim

I'm sure I don't have to say this but, music is art and the beauty of it is in the "ear" of the beholder. The hook in a song is any part of the song that "pulls you in" just like a fish. Different fish like different kinds of bait. Different people like different songs. I will just leave...
  19. Hollywood Jim

I agree with you. The tom accents add a very important feel to this song. The song can be played without the hi hat and cymbal bell parts. In my band those won't be heard very well anyway. But those tom accents when played loud really move the song along. .
Back