Search results

1. R

Billy Ward Bop Tuning

Came across this neat video: Not sure what DW shells these are, but the tuning is pretty good and the finish is nice.
  2. R

New Drum Demo of Pearl Professional Series Maple

DrumsBonedo has released a quality assessment of the Pearl PMX series: Thoughts? Note: For some reason, the European reviews of this kit are primarily of this wrap finish with a virgin bass drum. In the U.S., many of the Pearl PMX configurations come with bb-3 bass drum mount.
  3. R

Emotional Shock That Disrupted Drumming

Has anyone experienced an emotional shock or hurt that significantly disrupted your enjoyment in drumming? Like a divorce, relationship betrayal, family loss? How did you find your way back to your music passion?
  4. R

Tama 50th Anniversary Reissue of Superstar Birch Sets

They sound very nice, musical. Six-ply, 9mm shells: I can't finding pricing yet, but I'm sure they'll be over $3K. 22/16/12/10 set.
  5. R

DrummersReview of Pearl Masters Maple Pure (MMX)

The MMX toms sound amazing good.
  6. R

Tama Starclassic Maples Sound Good for Jazz

After struggling to find good recordings of Tama SC Maple sets tuned for jazz, this video was just posted and convinces me that it is all about the tuning: And the set above has clear batter heads, to boot. I'm thinking the SC Walnut/Birch sets should be capable of the same.
  7. R

Gretsch Renown Finishes?

Does anyone have grapevine knowledge concerning possible new finishes in store for Gretsch Renown sets in 2024?
  8. R

Has Anyone Heard of Sidekick Drums?

I just learned about this drum shop, Sidekick Drums: https://www.sidekickdrums.com/ They specialize in nesting drum sets, small compact kits, and jazz-sized sets. Hard-rock Keller maple shells, according to website, and surprisingly affordable compared to other custom builders. Anyone know...
  9. R

Chasing a Bop Sound - Which Set to Buy?

Would love some informed insight from folks here, especially bop players. I love this high-tuning Gretsch bop sound from the Broadkaster: That said, the price tag for these sets is over $3K (US dollars). Is it possible to get a more affordable set of drums to achieve this tuning, without...
  10. R

Pearl President Deluxe

I posted a while back about these Luan-shell kits. I found this recent recording of Isac Jamba playing a 20/14/12 set that is tuned high for bop. Curious what folks think:
  11. R

Gretsch Renown vs Brooklyn

If you are going to be playing around with jazz, rock, pop, fusion, and other different styles of music, then is there any reason to justify spending more money to get a Brooklyn kit versus Renown kit?
  12. R

Tama Silverstar Bop Set

The lads at Mostly Bop Drums have produced a great demo of a Tama Silverstar bop set. The drums sound really good to me--definitely great quality for the level of the kit.
  13. R

Sonor AQ2 Maple Shells

Are Sonor AQ2 shells undersized the same as the German-made shells (Prolite, SQ2)?
  14. R

New Tama Signature Snare

Steel shell with silicone filling on inside of bearing edges: https://www.tama.com/usa/news/detail/20230308114513.html
  15. R

Wonderfully Tuned Drums

Some of the best-sounding live footage of The Police, and, my god, that’s lovely tom tom sound and snare sound:
  16. R

Tama Silverstar Bop vs Gretsch Catalina Bop

Cool comparison video I just came across. Silverstars are 6 ply/6mm birch with 45 edges (I think); the Catalinas are 7 ply/7.2mm with 30 edge. The sympathetic snare buzz on the Silverstars is awful.
  17. R

Pearl President Series = Tama of the 1980s?

I’ve never been a fan of Pearl’s retro President series, but after looking into them recently, I noticed that they have a ton in common with Stewart Copeland’s favorite Police kit: the old Imperialstars. Both of these sets use(d) thick Luan (Philippine mahogany) shells with rounded 45 edges...
  18. R

Best Lug Options for Custom Drums?

I’m planning to put together some tom toms and would like to what lugs folks recommend. Ideally, I’d like solid brass lugs with swivel receiver so that there’s no lug splay, but I also don’t want to be paying $15 per lug, for example. Any good recommendations?
  19. R

Tama Starclassic B/B in Jazz

Here’s a clip of a cat doing some excellent jazz transcriptions, and his Tama SC B/B sounds quite tuned high! I’ve never been able to hear how a B/B or W/B Tama set would sound properly tuned for bop with good heads (here Aquarian DeJohnette heads):
  20. R

Drum Inflation

Well, despite most folks’ salaries not increasing, drum prices have sure jumped up since the pandemic. From my research, these are average US prices: 3 pc drum set with satin lacquer finish: Ludwig CM: $3k Tama SC Maple: $3k N&C/Gretsch USA: $3200 Dixon Artisan Maple: $2400 Yamaha Hybrid Maple...
Back