Search results

1. yammyfan

Drummers on records

Absolutely!
  2. yammyfan

Band member vs. cast member.

This has long been one of my pet peeves. I'll hear of some 80's band I liked coming to town only to learn that zero of the original members remain - just some bass player who joined them in the late 90's touring under that name. :poop:
  3. yammyfan

The tale of slowly switching brands…

It was expensive but I solved this dilemma for myself by building up two collections of cymbals: one set of Zildjian K and one set of Paiste 2002. This lets me go dark or go bright, depending on the gig.
  4. yammyfan

Anyone clean just one side of an old old cymbal? I did...

Personally, I believe that clean cymbals sound every bit as good as dirty cymbals, and they look SO much better. I say clean 'em, keep the great sound and gain the good looks!
  5. yammyfan

Sonor Sq1 (or birch in general) head choices!

Birch shells and clear pinstripes are a match made in heaven. You would be hard pressed to find a better combination.
  6. yammyfan

What’s the best snare drum under $250?

Good thing I looked up before posting. I was just about to mention the Stage Custom Steel snare. Excellent drum for the money (y)
  7. yammyfan

Drum setup

It was six of one, half a dozen of the other, to be honest. The rack toms were in a good spot but the gap between the 12 inch and the floor toms grew so that kind of sucked.
  8. yammyfan

Zildjian K Sweet Pack

Here's a "family photo" of the K Sweets. The 20" crash will be the next one I buy. I'm interested in the 23" ride but I have a 24" Paiste 2002 already and it takes up a lot of room on smaller stages. These were all purchased individually. I started with the 17" crash and was blown away by its...
  9. yammyfan

Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Thanks man :giggle: I would have pounced on that Sweetwater exclusive kit if I lived in the States. You got a smokin' deal! I was seriously contemplating the shell pack with the 24" bass drum but had doubts that it would fit in my car. That's the reason I avoided the 18" deep bass drum as...
  10. yammyfan

I've got a Remo Controlled Sound head on there. The snare can get pretty loud but it struggles to keep up when the stage volume ramps up. I don't rim shot so that could have something to do with it. I'm not a hard hitter, either.
  11. yammyfan

Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

I've talked about these plenty in other threads but for the sake of posterity, here's the Renown RN2 kit I bought earlier this summer. To say that I love this kit would be an understatement. The kit is wrapped in Silver Oyster Pearl. Sizes are: 20 x 16 Bass Drum 14 x 14 Floor Tom 12 x 8 Rack...
  12. yammyfan

Drum setup

I played offset toms for a stretch but went back to bass drum mounted toms after a while. The novelty was refreshing at first but that was about it. If you gig regularly, hauling around an extra stand is a real nuisance.
  13. yammyfan

An Acrolite would be a good choice as they're not particularly loud. I have one and it sounds great but I've given up using it in un-mic'd situations.
  14. yammyfan

Drum Dial or Tune Bot?

Cool! You'll be happy that you did. Just to set expectations, there's a bit of a learning curve to using one but it isn't difficult. I suggest watching as many YouTube videos about the device as you can. You'll see how it works and you'll discover some tips and tricks along the way. Let us...
  15. yammyfan

Drum Kits under 1k

I bought two drum kits this year: one Stage Custom and one Gretsch Renown. To me, they represent the best value in their respective price ranges and they're different enough that they cover all of the situations I find myself in, musically speaking.
  16. yammyfan

Drum Dial or Tune Bot?

Perhaps, but odds are that your drums will sound suboptimal the entire time. As mentioned above, I have never tuned a drum kit with my Tune-Bot that didn't sound emphatically better when I was finished. Even the guys that thought they were good at tuning had to give it up for the Tune-Bot...
  17. yammyfan

gretsch quality?

My RN2s aren't stamped either, but that probably saved us a hundred bucks or so.
  18. yammyfan

Drum Dial or Tune Bot?

The Tune-Bot clips to the rim of the drum so that you can use both hands while tuning. No $5 app is going to do that for you. :giggle:
  19. yammyfan

Drum Dial or Tune Bot?

I've owned both and the Tune-Bot is an order of magnitude better than the Drum Dial. I'm not in the "learn to tune by ear" camp at all. The fact is that the majority of drummers are not very good at tuning (if you believe what they tell you themselves) and it doesn't seem to matter how long...
  20. yammyfan

Zildjian K Sweet Pack

Yes, with two overheads. TMI perhaps but I used the restroom at one point which was at the back of the club and behind the stage, and the cymbals sounded even better from that vantage point. Can't tell you how happy that made me.