Search results

1. schist

"Discipline" pattern

Hello, Can someone help me break down the hand pattern Bill Bruford plays in King Crimson's "Discipline"? I've seen on some YouTube tutorials that it's something like R R L R L R R L R L R R L R L R L (17-note pattern), but it looks in this video that the left hand plays a double every couple...
  2. schist

Reprogramming foot motion - help

Any advice for reprogramming motions? I've somehow largely lost the ability to play slow double bass because I've gotten into the (bad) habit of using too much ankle in my right foot, and as a result it speeds up and loses control. I've been taking to playing continuous 16ths with my feet @...
  3. schist

Weird problem (double bass pattern)

Hello again all, Recently I've encountered a unique issue regarding playing, I guess you would call them,"gallop" double bass patterns (clusters of 3 16th-notes, usually RLR RLR etc.) By themselves, with no backbeat/hands on top, I can play them just fine, but once I start playing a backbeat...
  4. schist

Roland SPD-S "memory full" ?

Hello, I bought a Roland SPD-S sampling pad not long ago, and when I try to sample sounds to it of any length, I receive a "memory full!". Even after deleting the existing data on the machine, I still get that message whenever I try to sample something. I've checked the remaining memory left...
  5. schist

So, uh ...

I've had to spent the past few days restoring my computer due to a virus, and have subsequently lost half my files. One of which, was the renowned 'DE Kit Constructor II' software used for building drum setup models. That said, if anyone here has a copy of the latest version or a link to it...
  6. schist

Stretching/warmups

G'day What warmup/stretching exercises do you guys (extreme metal drummers in particular) do when you're about to play/rehearse? Reason being, I just got back from jam, and my hands tanked big time. I can hold single-strokes/blasts for a fairly long time at 220-225, but even at 210 or so my...
  7. schist

Making getting around the kit easier ...

Hey all, I'd just like to post an exercise I've written for facilitating travelling around the entire kit, and I don't just mean around the toms (I believe I already have an exercise written for that somewhere ...). Basically, you pick the highest possible point on your drumkit (be that a...
  8. schist

What are open/closed rolls?

Refer to the question in the title, as I would like to know the answer.
  9. schist

Roland KD-8 question

Hi all, I have a Roland TD-3 electronic kit with the TD-8 kickpad. I've discovered today that I've actually dented the rubber playing surface, which causes a delay in the return of the beater(s) of my pedal, and thus makes playing much more diffcult and frustrating. Does anyone know if Roland...
  10. schist

For anyone who wants to know how to get power with fast double bass

Heavy soled/skate shoes + tight/maximum spring tension. Try it. I know of a few extreme metal drummers who I've seen do this. George Kollias and Dave Kinkade, to name a couple.
  11. schist

Foot control problem? (not double bass)

Hello again, I find I am having problems playing 8th-note doubles with my foot at the higher "leg motion" speeds (ie. 150-160BPM), for some reason both hits don't come out cleanly and I often find myself rushing them. For instance, at 1:18 into this song...
  12. schist

'Stick Control' w/feet question

Hi again, I'm in the process of playing through each page of George Stone's Stick Control with my feet heel-down (8ths @ 60BPM atm) to improve my foot control. 2 days from now, I will be onto page 12, with the open buzz roll exercises. My question is, how would I go about playing these...
  13. schist

Double bass control exercises, anyone?

Right, so I have sufficient double bass speed and endurance, but now I'm after control - specifically the ability to change from one motion to another without sounding weak/sloppy (eg. the ability to cleanly change from a stream of 2-footed 16th-notes at, say, 100BPM to a burst of 32nd-notes and...
  14. schist

Finally discovered the root of all my hand technique problems

I developed a jump in my left forearm somewhere along the way, creating a sort of 'gyrating' motion in my wrist, rather than a straight up-and-down motion like in my right hand. Which, of course, led to the sticks flying about in my left hand, due to not being able to hit in a straight line...
  15. schist

Loss of hand endurance in a playing situation

So ... Once upon a time, I could blast along to songs as fast as 210-220BPM effortlessly 30-40+ times in a row. Nowadays, after about 4 - 5 reps of each song, my hands start to crap out, and I lose power, and it all starts to sound sloppy and terrible. And, to make matters worse, there is no...
  16. schist

Having trouble with clean multi-tom rolls?

You might wanna try this exercise I wrote. Orange font denotes your left hand, and green font denotes your right. Basically, it is an exercise modeled on both the Stone Killer and Hannes Grossman's "Developing blast technique" exercise posted on the old Blastology forums*, where you are...
  17. schist

Mangini C&C limb system

I just started doing this today, with the intention of achieving 3 playing goals: - A better sense of physical balance when playing - Clean-up hand-foot separation during blast beats - Establish a better/stronger overall linear technique For anyone who is unaware of what I'm referring to...
  18. schist

E-Pad Rebound Question

Am I the only one here who has to battle with the relatively high rebound factor of the Roland PD-8 pads? I own a TD-3 electronic kit for practice purposes, and every time I play fast tom rolls (170+ or so BPM, as that is when I switch to matched freestroke grip), they usually tend to speed...
  19. schist

Offbeat note spacing problem

I'm having immense trouble with offbeat note spacing at the moment. For those unsure of what I'm referring to, consult this chart: Let's assume the 'x' is the click and the quaver is the snare. Before long, my brain will want to align the snare with the click at any speed. I play along to...
  20. schist

Roland HD-1 Question

Yesterday I purchased a Roland HD-1 'V-Drums Lite' electronic kit for practice purposes. The only gripe I have with it are the pedals - they are, quite frankly, absolute shite. If you're playing double-bass at any speed above 160-170BPM 16th-notes, the kick samples don't trigger. And...