Search results

1. AModestRat

It makes no difference? New kit question

Hey all, I've been thinking of building a new kit from vintage mahogany Keller shells for some time now. My only concern would be that it would sound too similar to my current Ludwig Element Birch set. The Element Birches are somewhat thin 7 ply birch with 45 degree bearing edges, while I'd be...
  2. AModestRat

Removing wrap from 28" late 50's WFL marcher

Made a thread about this long ago...I picked up a WFL marcher about two years ago for a good deal. Unfortunately, it's been treated terribly by the school who owned it - hoops are warped, wrap is janked up, and the rods are bent. I've got plans to make it into a bass drum for a Levon Helm styled...
  3. AModestRat

Where do you get your drum work done?

Just out of curiosity, where is your favorite place to get your drum work done? I've heard some phenomenal things about Precision Drum Co. up in New York and a buddy of mine recently recommended Custom Drum Concepts in Houston. I'm sending a snare to CDC to get the bearing edges redone soon and...
  4. AModestRat

Normal coiled steel vs synthetic gut for Ludwig P-87

Hey y'all, I reconsidered my old 80's Ludwig R/C snare and I'm looking into buying some synthetic gut snare wire. It's a 5x14 snare and I'll be putting a Remo coated ambassador over Remo hazy snare side, tuned high and mostly being used for jazz, R&B, old school country, and some lighter rock...
  5. AModestRat

Essential rudiments to a rock/gospel drummer?

A friend of mine recently picked up playing and he asked me to teach him some rudiments. He's been playing and can hold down a beat well, but he asked me for some good rudiments to start off with for uses in fills and the like. I think that in time he'll branch out to more rudiments, but as of...
  6. AModestRat

I gave Evans another try, specifically a Calftone

I've never been a big fan of Evans drumheads. For me, they just always sounded like a big ol' thunk without much definition or overtones. I've tried G2s, G1s, etc. and never liked any of them, not that I thought Evans was a bad drumhead brand, just not right for me. Yesterday, I dropped by my...
  7. AModestRat

A video comparing double ply Aquarian, Evans, and Remo clear heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJiVrS0eiVU Saw this on Instagram today. A company called DrumTunePRO tuned three drumheads from the three big companies - an Aquarian Response 2, Evans G2, and Remo Emperor (all clear) - to the same note and tested them out on a Ludwig rack tom. I always wanted...
  8. AModestRat

Late 70's/early 80's Ludwig snare bearing edges? (Rock/concert model)

I have a early 1980's Ludwig 5x14" Rock/Concert snare drum that I inherited from my late grandfather. It's definitely a player's snare, but the bearing edges have so many nicks and dents in them and I never bonded with the P-87 throw off so I'm sending it off to Precision Drum Co. to have the...
  9. AModestRat

Fixing up my inherited Ludwig Classic Snare

A few months ago, I inherited a snare from my late grandfather - a maple 5"x14" Ludwig Classic with a P-87 throw off. Since then, I've tried all that I can to make it sound good - new heads, tuning, etc, but it always ends up sounding boxy no matter what's on it/how it's tuned. In addition to...
  10. AModestRat

Drum interior finishing experiment

About half a year ago, I took apart my Ludwig Element Birches to do a bit of cleaning and maintenance on them. I put some 3-In-1 on the tension rods and wiped down the lacquered shells with some warm water and dish soap. I then noticed that the interiors were unfinished and I got pretty curious...
  11. AModestRat

Financing a Ludwig Zep Kit?

Dunno if anybody noticed, but recently the Ludwig Centennial Zep kit went down in price to $900 and then Musician's Friend is also allowing 48 month financing on it. Really tempting for me as that's only $19 a month and I can easily handle that and pay it off within the year. I currently have a...
  12. AModestRat

Overhead mics for Glyn Johns setup

A buddy and I are undertaking a small recording project come November. It's mostly to practice recording and become familiar with studio work, but we're also hoping to get some of our music down on record and get it out online. I've always loved the Glyn Johns setup and it fits the sound we...
  13. AModestRat

14x5 Ludwig Blue/Olive Classic snare help

Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away two weeks ago and left me some things in his will. One of the things he left me was a 14x5 Ludwig Classic snare, Blue/Olive badge, serial no. 2226949. I've traced it back to the late 70's/early 80's, but I don't know much about it otherwise. Looks like 5...
  14. AModestRat

Are pre-muffled heads harder to tune to you?

After fooling around with pinstripes and controlled sounds, I picked up a coated emperor to put over a coated ambassador for my 12" tom. At first, I was worried that it'd be harder to tune, but to my surprise it ended up being easier to tune than the pinstripes and controlled sounds. I'm able to...
  15. AModestRat

Have you come around to other drum sizes?

When I started playing set, my hero was John Bonham and I thought that any bass drum size below 24" was heresy. My first kit was a Pearl Roadshow with an 18, 14, 13, 10 set-up, but not long after I bought a 28" bass drum (it looked ridiculous with the kit!). Soon came a Ludwig Element Birch in...
  16. AModestRat

Sweetwater always has great prices....

...but maybe not this time around!
  17. AModestRat

Getting into recording drums

Over the summer, I'll be busting butt to save up money for a project that a few friends and I are undertaking in the fall, kind of a Travelling Willburys thing. The other two guys have their own recording equipment and the guitarist is somewhat experienced with recording, just not with drums, so...
  18. AModestRat

Turning a 28x14 marcher into a set, I'd like some input

Bought this WFL marcher about a year ago and I'm looking to turn it into a Big Band/Bonham style kit. It's made of mahogany, from 1956-1959, and it's wrapped in this white pearl that has yellowed beautifully. My plans are to add two floor toms, a 16x16 and a 16x18 and possibly a rack tom...
  19. AModestRat

What does a properly tuned drum sound like to you?

Let me start out by saying that tuning is extremely subjective, and what sounds "proper" to one may be completely wrong to another. Over the year or so since I've started seriously playing drums, I've had my struggles with tuning them (as have most people). However, two things I've noticed...
  20. AModestRat

Felt strip on Ludwig Coated 22" Bass Drum Head?

Thinking about ordering some felt to put on the front of my Element Birch 22" kick. I have a coated powerstroke 3 on the batter, with a coated Ludwig bass drum head on the front. For those that have used this combination before, how does felt on the reso/batter compare to stuffing a...