Search results

1. wombat

Australian Artisan drum makers.... how can you tell whos the "real deal"

I have a fascination for Drums made with "different" wood types ( other than Birch / Maple etc) and in particular Australian hardwoods. Being a Perth lad I am familiar with Brady and will often go to local stockists "mega music" just to look and drool at whats on offer. I also look on Ebay...
  2. wombat

Leedy 4 sale bargain or poop ?

Hi All I know nothing about leedy drums. a part from a mid price ($500) snare on one stores website. So I was a bit surprised to see a leedy kit for $100 !! on our version of craigslist. "Very new drum for sale $100.00" So the question is...has leedy lost its once strong reputation ( and...
  3. wombat

Member leading other members on in a series of misleading questions in threads.

Over the time I have been here a fellow member (and fellow West Australian) has been asking questions about whether he should take up drumming how rare are Japanese Yamaha Stage Customs how much 7 peice stage customs cost (several times) how he needed to trade a Peral Kick for a (japanese) SC...
  4. wombat

Dillemma...what to let go of, what to keep

Over the years I have accrued a number of drums, with the hope of eventually creating a one or two "consistant kits" I wont go back the full way in the past, too much surplus info. However a few years back I got a nice Yammie stage custom of 8 / 10 / rack toms and what was supposed to be a 14...
  5. wombat

Follow up on a thread by Andy ( keep it simple)

A while ago Andy posted a thread about English ash being threatened by "dieback" and its impact on the Origin Series of Guru drums through limited supply of quality ash wood see link to "Damn - just when you think everything is working out :( "...
  6. wombat

Amazing breakthrough in drum technology for sale

Hope you are all sitting down. On my local gumtree ( craigslist) I found a drum that can either be played as a normal drum or as a snare drum. Although the advert has no photograph it has a description of how the drum works Thats right folks Here is the link in case our deal savvy board...
  7. wombat

Suggestion re classifieds "sticky" in this section

Hi all I just wanted to put a suggestion out there, and if theres enough uptake / interest maybee the mods can make some changes. 1/ People remove their classified / wanted item once sold / found....the thread is unweildy and its hard to find "current" stuff unless you trawl through the...
  8. wombat

High end / variable quality (an extension on a comment by Andy)

In another thread Andy (keep it simple) made a reply which included the following observations (ive edited out parts of his comment not related to this thread) [/I][/B] How true Andy, I suspect that awareness is what sets your drum making apart. As some will know I recently bought a Brady...
  9. wombat

Replies.....Indicitive of this forum

This may be in the wrong section, if so my apologies. I have come to wonder about the number of replies to various topics and what that means. Most regular forum readers will be aware of someone who seemed concerned about the rarity / value of his stage customs. I havent counted the replies...
  10. wombat

First ever Ebay buys - Meinl Byzance and Brady Jarrah / Banksia (?) ply.... and I'm in love

For the first time ever I decided ( after a lot of watching) to buy a couple of Ebay items. It was worth the wait...I'm in love !! Item one...20" Meinl Byzance Raw Bell Ride Cymbal so dark, great stick definition and yet so loud id you ask it to be.....and the bell is fantastic !! Item...
  11. wombat

Dilemma to keep or to buy

Any advice is welcome on this. Theres some Mapex Orions for sale nearby for around $2000 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lakelands/percussion-drums/mapex-orion-/1030988370 I dont know if thats good, they rarely turn up second hand in Perth. I currently have Yammi Stage Customs (with a Tama...
  12. wombat

Help with identifying wood type

Hi All I recently bought a relatively cheap kick / bass ( I am gradually picking up cheap but relatively good quality bits to "build" a kit up ) Can anyone identify the wood on the inside Veneer of the drum. My apologies for the quality of the pics but the colour / grain in the photos is a...
  13. wombat

Ludwig tom ID

Hi Luddy fanns. I picked up this 10(w) by 8 tom and a 14 w floor tom ( not pictured) of the same "vintage" cheap Only trouble is that I dont know much about Luddies so I dont know what "vintage" it is other than its claimed to be Birch by its old owner. Its laquer rather than wrap. Can...
  14. wombat

Rip off classified adverts

I have a look at gumtree most days to see if theres any bargains to be had. There are a lot of over inflated prices but this takes the cake !! " HEADLINER GOOD CONDITION, SOUNDS AWESOME RIDE CYMBAL!!!!!! $1,000.00" Yes a bronze $50 (if your lucky) for $1000 !! It gets better apparently its...
  15. wombat

shin splints

This may have been raised already in the many threads this place offers. So my apologies to reinvent the wheel, but do any of you suffer shin splints ? I cant play "heel up" from an old injury...be great if their was a kick that you could drive with your heel rather than toe resting on the...