Search results

1. Nickropolis

Potential high school shooting in progress...

I just heard about the local high school here being on lock down, a student is inside with three firearms. We'll see how it turns out...it'll make the evening news no doubt.
  2. Nickropolis

A visit from the law...

...And not for a noise complaint! Wish it was though. I don't usually make posts on internet forums griping about stuff but this...just freaking wow, I kinda need to get this off my chest. I've had an ongoing issue of my roommate (and the person staying in her room) not paying bills, leaving...
  3. Nickropolis

My refinished 1978 Rogers in clear lacquer

This little beauty popped up on Kijiji two nights ago, the guy selling was right down the street from where I live so I hopped on my legs and walked over to check it out. Whilst tuning and tweaking things I learned a bit about the history of these guys. About a year ago when the old...
  4. Nickropolis

Sabian and Long & McQuade giving me the run around...

So, I bought a Sabian 22" Omni slightly over 3 months ago from Long & McQuade. The long and short of it, I'm not happy with the Omni or either company as a whole right now. *I feel it necessary to mention that I am anything but a neanderthal behind the kit and usually play with 7A maple sticks*...
  5. Nickropolis

Vintage Zildjian identification

The ad on Kijiji says 50+ years old so I snatched them all without hesitation, 80 bucks. I did a little googling and the stamp seemed to match a 50's era but I'm no expert. I'll let you guys try your hand.
  6. Nickropolis

One man's trash

Around here, people tend to put stuff out on the grassy sidewalk area that they don't want but someone else may conceivably want. It's a pretty good racket, you never know what you might come across. In his spare time, one of my friends likes to pick up electronics or other such things and fix...
  7. Nickropolis

Can completely off-time notes fit a song?

Just a random thought, has anyone heard of or used intentionally going way off time and playing a brief 'wall of noise' that isn't musical at all? In fact, it's hard to listen to but only for a few seconds, then easing the listener back in with some catchy riff. Thinking in terms of dynamics...
  8. Nickropolis

Sanding painted sticks

Anyone try it? Not a huge fan of the paint but I do love the old Weckl model, thinking of trying it today.
  9. Nickropolis

PDP snare, what model?

Picked up this PDP snare from Kijiji today, couldn't go wrong for $25 seeing as I didn't have a wood snare. Not sure exactly on the model though, it's 13x4 wood shell and 8 lugs.
  10. Nickropolis

Traditional grip rimshots

Lately I've been playing more traditional grip but I'm having trouble getting consistent rimshots. I do leave my snare flat at fairly normal belt height. Does anyone have any tips aside from tilting the stand?
  11. Nickropolis

Converted floor tom jazz kit.

I was a bit anxious to get this project started and my camera battery was dead at the time so there aren't any before shots but this is what used to be a 16 inch royal blue wrap Pearl floor tom, pretty grungy and the heads were beyond garbage. I stripped all the wrap and hardware, sanded off...
  12. Nickropolis

You know those girls on the internet that suck at drums but get a million views?

She's one of them. ;) I tried to get her to help me with getting rid of some overtones in my snare, attention span didn't last long enough so I gave up. She and I also prefer Vic Firth sticks, although I like wood tip and she seems to prefer nylon. My roommate's cat, maybe a month or...
  13. Nickropolis

Does anyone ever mess with your gear?

At home? Church? Jam space? It's normally not a problem for me, everyone is for the most part respectful of each other's things. Except when I leave the house I guess. I have a 16" bass/snare/hat/ride setup for jazz but just use the snare stand from my main kit, so the snare sits on the floor...
  14. Nickropolis

What kind of drums are these?

...looks kinda old.
  15. Nickropolis

What are you listening to right now?

Boston - More Than A Feeling I'm in a classic rock mood, previously to this was Journey, ol' Steve Smith. What are you listening to?
  16. Nickropolis

Sonor - what model?

I noticed this here ad on Kijiji - "Solar drums for sale" Turns out it's a Sonor kit. I guess I'll let the pictures do the talking. It kind of looks like an older Force 3007 to me but the snare drum has a different finish, could it be a different model from the kit? Here's a link to the...
  17. Nickropolis

What's your favourite voice?

The title pretty much says it all. I'm sure everyone has that type of drum or cymbal that they love above the rest, be it snare, floor tom, china or ride. For me it's the snare. So versatile in that it can create a very full range of sounds when played well. Even more specifically, rimshots...
  18. Nickropolis

My kit pics and some dialogue.

Hey. I've posted here a while ago, 35 times to be exact. I was very new to drumming and inexperienced to say the least. Looking back at the pics I have of my old kit, which I will spare you now but can be found if you look, it was a mess. There's no way I could play properly even if I knew how...
  19. Nickropolis

Secondary ride hat?

Well, I was thinking last night about open handed style drumming and people talking about it making sense with the ride, hat and snare positions. This lead me to wondering if anyone has ever toyed with the idea of two rides AS high hats but still keeping the same position and the original hats...
  20. Nickropolis

Quick little (and first) video

Hey all, I was checking how well my laptop could record sound levels in the same room as my kit and managed to get it to not just be a bunch of extra loud scrambled egg noises, so I figured I'd share with you all. It's definitely nothing much compared to most of you guys but I've been...