Search results

1. 8Mile

First gig since the pandemic

I got to play live music over the weekend for the first time since February. We kicked off some rust for sure, but it felt great to get out and play for people again. Here's a trio I play with doing a cover of Robert Cray Band's Smoking Gun.
  2. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Instead of starting a separate thread for every Wilcoxon solo video I make, I will just post them all here in one place. These are all found in The All-American Drummer, 150 Rudimental Solo This is solo number 8.
  3. 8Mile

Wilcoxon Solo No. 7

I’m getting a lot of enjoyment out of learning the solos in the Wilcoxon 150 Rudimental Solos book. The Wilcoxon solos use familiar rudiments, but the way they are arranged can present some real coordinative challenges. There are a couple measures in this one that really tied my hands in knots...
  4. 8Mile

Squib Cakes drum intro

I've always loved this drum intro, but never took the time to work out how to play it. I found some good transcriptions online and decided there's no better time than now. This is the intro as played by David Garibaldi on the Tower Of Power album, Back To Oakland. I'm using low-volume cymbals...
  5. 8Mile

CCR medley

This was recorded at a gig I played with a classic rock trio not even two months ago. It feels like it took place in a different lifetime now. Missing the live music scene and anxious to get back out there.
  6. 8Mile

Drum intro to Blue Mitchell's "Chick's Tune"

This is my attempt at the eight-bar drum intro to the tune "Chick's Tune" from the Blue Mitchell album, The Thing To Do. This was one of the Tommy Igoe challenges that he's been putting on Instagram. Highly-recommended if you are looking for things to practice while staying home with everything...
  7. 8Mile

Crazy Army rudimental solo

I've been spending a lot of time on old-school rudimental solos lately. Here's Crazy Army, by Ed Lemley. Made famous by Steve Gadd on Legend Of The One-Eyed Sailor (Chuck Mangione) and on various solos. Played on my Reflexx pad.
  8. 8Mile

Wilcoxon Solo No.3

This is Wilcoxon Solo No.3 from 150 Rudimental Solos, played on the Reflexx pad.
  9. 8Mile

Practice when you're tired or not at your best

I've noticed that my ability to play technical stuff up to tempo varies considerably depending on the time of day I practice. Especially later at night, I just can't pull off things at tempos that I could manage easily earlier in the day. I'm assuming this is something others have noticed and...
  10. 8Mile

Freddie Freeloader jam with friends

I got together with some musician friends a couple months ago to play real book standards and recorded most of the jam. Here's a snippet of us playing Freddie Freeloader. This was recorded with a Zoom Q2N-4K that was really close to the drums, so the mix is a little drum-heavy...
  11. 8Mile

What is this beat called?

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been given a name. I'm talking about a rock groove with snare on 2 and rack tom on 4 and the & of 4. Think La Bamba by Los Lobos. This gets used a lot, but I don't think I've ever heard it get a name. Anyone?
  12. 8Mile

Recent recordings

These are a couple of unfinished tracks that I recorded drums for in the past couple of weeks. This is a bit different style of music than I typically share on this forum. This is not my gear; I'm playing the "house" drums and cymbals. These songs are incomplete. There will probably be changes...
  13. 8Mile

Put your weird tendencies here

I guess this is a little redundant with regard to the thread about "post your weaknesses here." Except not all tendencies are necessarily bad, maybe just idiosyncratic to you. I got to thinking about this because I record myself a lot and I find that it's a great way to gain insight into one's...
  14. 8Mile

Come On (Let The Good Times Roll) - Jimi Hendrix cover

This is the first time this band played this song. A couple arrangements were worked out via text message. I’m a big fan of preparation, but sometimes it’s fun to just play.
  15. 8Mile

Straight-up rock and roll

This is a medley of a couple tunes I played at an outdoor gig on a farm over the weekend. The camera placement is not great, but I’m still learning with this new Zoom recorder.
  16. 8Mile

J. Geils Whammer Jammer/Hard Drivin' Man cover at a recent gig

I played a recent show with a classic rock trio and a harp player sat in with us to do Whammer Jammer/Hard Drivin' Man. I captured the audio with my new Zoom and thought I'd share it here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1upf6KcYv1oV_Hb-DPMlmhcmY6z_FnXyU
  17. 8Mile

Short video of the USA Customs

I recorded this with my new Zoom Q2N-4K. This is a very short clip. I'm still experimenting with the settings, but this is the first decent video recorder I've owned, so I'm having fun with it.
  18. 8Mile

Matt Chamberlain breaking down One Headlight groove?

I was listening to the new episode of the Modern Drummer podcast that dropped today and they talked about a recent video Matt Chamberlain put up. Matt is notorious for taking down his social media accounts after a week or two and then creating new ones. Apparently, in this video, he breaks down...
  19. 8Mile

New (?) Zildjian K Constantinople hi-hats question

I'm interested in the 14" Zildjian K Constantinople hi-hats. There is a blurb on the Zildjian site about these cymbals receiving a "makeover": "The 14" K Constantinople HiHats have received a makeover. Incorporating the same features as the new 15", 17", and 19" K Constantinople Crashes, the...
  20. 8Mile

100% improvised jam

A musician friend and I were in the studio and we rolled tape on a completely open jam, no guidelines, no rules. I just started playing the first thing that came to mind, he came up with a bass line and, 13 minutes later, we had this to show for it. So this is 100% improvised, just two guys...