Search results

1. roncadillac

"Professionally Repaired" Ride Cymbal

I think the term "professionally repaired" when it comes to cymbals is a bit of a misnomer in general. Even if a skilled craftsman, who regularly gets paid for this type of work, makes some kind of correction to a previous 'issue' (bit it damage like a crack or fixing an errant overtone, etc)...
  2. roncadillac

Meshuggah's Bleed played only with brushes.

Haha nice. I like "bop death"... I could see that being the perfect marriage of two of my favorite (though slightly opposing) styles of music! Cheers homie
  3. roncadillac

Meshuggah's Bleed played only with brushes.

Absolutely stunning. I'm a gigantic fan of brushes in non-traditional brush settings.
  4. roncadillac

Tom resonant head ideas

I'm giving the Evans reso 7 a try again. My pearl midtown 13" floor tom is surprisingly overly resonant, I've actually been using it as a concert tom with a hydraulic on top. This is my first pearl kit and it seems like the combination of slight undersized shells and a very sharp edge lets the...
  5. roncadillac

Remo silentstroke and Evans soundoff mesh heads: the feel??

I could see a very slight boost in the 'volume' if you used a highly tuned reso but I'm still not sure it would come through in a church setting like he was talking about. In that situation, if I required a real drum sound but quiet as possible I would use a hydraulic tuned low. For a large...
  6. roncadillac

Remo silentstroke and Evans soundoff mesh heads: the feel??

I dont think that would work. Open your window and gently push your left hand on the screen (without breaking it or popping it out!) Until it's taught then flick the screen with your right hand. That barely audible 'plunk' sound is what mesh heads sound like.
  7. roncadillac

Symmetrical Set Up

I really want to try a remote set up with centered hi hats. I've played around with a fixed pair infront of my snare (I usually only use a 2 or 3pc kit) and really liked the placement but missed being able to open/close the hats. All of the cable remote stands I've seen are stupid expensive...
  8. roncadillac

Drums and the Significant Other

Sounds like it's time for a 'P' upgrade
  9. roncadillac

Drums and the Significant Other

My wife and I are both 31, we have been together as a 'couple' since we were 13, have lived together since we were 21, and got married at 24, we both know nothing besides each other both as functioning adults and romantically. I've been playing drums since I was 11 and we met during a gig my...
  10. roncadillac

Pad Sticks

In my earlier days I used a heavier pair of sticks for both pad and kit practice then used the next step down for live. That was until I switched to 7a's, then I stuck with them across the board. That's been a decade or more now.
  11. roncadillac

A battle of millimeters

Cool, those set ups look fun!
  12. roncadillac

A battle of millimeters

Another good example (this may or may not hit home for you) is video games. You get used to a specific controller, when you change consoles it feels weird at first but you get used to that as well. My set up is so tight that if I put my right hand straight out at the elbow while holding a...
  13. roncadillac

A battle of millimeters

Very well said! Not to slightly derail but if you have a pic of your kit I'd love to see it! I can't see myself ever going above 18" bass drum again and I love my current 16".
  14. roncadillac

Best beater for elctronics drums

I agree with @bud7h4 above, I exclusively use the Tama IC beaters. They are light as a feather but punch like a hammer. As to specific beaters for ekits... I unfortunately can't help much there. While I don't own edrums I have played and recorded on several (from low to high end) and one...
  15. roncadillac

A battle of millimeters

I have been guilty of getting a measuring tape involved while setting up a new kit or changing around an existing kit. Looks crazy from an outside point of view but it works wonders for my ocd haha. I like things low, flat, and tight together. Besides hating having to carry heavy stuff (and...
  16. roncadillac

So I’ve made an adjustment!

@Bo Eder You could always post a trade/sale in BST. Vf 5a is an extremely popular stick and I'm sure someone would be interested. You could always donate to a local school or church or even host a PIF for new members here as well. All my old gear that I don't feel like going through the hassle...
  17. roncadillac

So I’ve made an adjustment!

Yea, I'm a 7a guy for well over a decade. I really enjoy the vater manhattan 7a and most of the time use it's bastard (cheaper) brother, the sound percussion 7a, because I can get 3 pair for the price of 1 vater pair. The Zildjian 7a works in a pinch but it never was as durable as the vater or...
  18. roncadillac

Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

It's so enlightening when you overcome a lengthy issue that you just couldn't figure out. You'll quickly gain foot technique you never thought you had. Time to work on some single foot doubles and triples.
  19. roncadillac

Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

Happy to hear the flutter is gone, sorry to hear the head is gone. I made the preface of practicing and watching a video or two for a reason! Haha ;) Check out the Evans eq3 ported reso head. It's a single ply with floating edge ring just like the remo ps3 or Evans eq4 batter except it's got...
  20. roncadillac

Tambourine Throwdown!

That song is still a top 10 rotation on most generic USA rock stations.