Search results

1. PHIL2016

Russ Miller Groove Wedge Or Similar?

Anyone know where I can get this or a similar product [other than Rim Riser] that doesn't cost $100 or more...
  2. PHIL2016

PDP Daru Jones New Yorker Kit

Ok, so...I got this kit in, set it up and put a kick pedal on the kick riser that's supplied with the kit, when I go to playing the bass drum, it wants to wiggle and wobble back and forth, what dod I need to do to stabilize the bass drum? Ive tried everything, or so I say I have... any suggestions?
  3. PHIL2016

zZounds . com...GRR!

I'm really frustrated at Zounds.com right now. I order a product 12/12/17, pay extra for second day air, which should have put it at my front door by end of day on 12/14/17...well, they send notification on 12/13/14 (which is today)that the item shipped on that day , which puts it being here...
  4. PHIL2016

Coming Home to Zildjian

Over the past 30 some odd years of playing Sabian and Paiste cymbals, ive decided to come back to my first love, K. Zildjian. I have been contemplating a K. Zildjian Light set: 15" Light Hihat 22" Light Ride 19" Dark Crash Thin 17" Dark Crash Thin My second choice is the K. Zildjian Country...
  5. PHIL2016

Not sure if i presented myself...

...but here goes! I am PHIL2016, I am known outside of cyberland as Phillip Welch. I hail from West Monroe, La., which is located about an hour and a half east of Shreveport, La. I have been playing drums since i was around 5 years old (I am now 50!), i play drums professionally as my primary...
  6. PHIL2016

Promark Glenn Kotche Signature Drumstick

I pulled the trigger on a set of these: https://goo.gl/images/McFhtS Promark Glenn Kotche Signature drumsticks, These have a weight that falls somewhere in between a 5a and a 5b with a length of 16 3/4'', with a long taper and an acorn shape tip, the grip area is scalloped to enhance the...
  7. PHIL2016

Crescendos on Cymbals

Hi DW! I have a part in a Christmas Musical that calls for cymbal crescendos at various points throughout the tune, theres no beat, just smooth crescendos. Now, i havent got the cheese to blow on a K. Constantinople Suspended, so im looking to hear thoughts on what type of cymbal will generate...
  8. PHIL2016

Cherry Hill Custom Drums

Has anyone tried any of the products by Cherry Hill Custom Drums? I have been looking at the photos of some of their creations, they make custom snare drums, drum keys, hi hat clutches and snare throwoffs, the product seems to be on a high end, luxury scale and looks very attractive. check them...
  9. PHIL2016

DRUM SHELLS: Ply/Solid/Stave

How do the different shell types compare in terms of tone, response, tuning range and playability?
  10. PHIL2016

NAMM 2017 Oddities

Coverage of the NAMM shows almost never cover the brand new companies that have just emerged on the market with their unique products. Thats what i like, now, dont get me wrong, i like the ongoing innovations of the established and successful companies. Maybe im not seeing the right coverage...
  11. PHIL2016

Head Combo For Oak Stave Snare Shell

I guys, im having a snare drum built out of old oak staves and being that i have never used an oak shelled drum, i am curious as to everyones's opinion on what batter head and snare side head combo would give the best tone and response. I've got Sabian Snare Wires going on as well, the Hybrid...
  12. PHIL2016

Venting A Bass Drum Shell

I recently went to kumudrums.com and checked out their custom kits. Some of the kits had like a 4" hole in the side of the drum shell for putting a mic in the drum, what are you guy's thoughts on this? I am considering having someone do this to my bass drums...
  13. PHIL2016

Head For 3x13 Pearl Steel Picc.

Hi, DW! I need suggestions for a snare head that will warm up a steel shell piccolo, I have an Evans ST Dry, but still has an annoying "pink" sound, Help!
  14. PHIL2016

Glenn Kotche Promark Active Wave 570

Has anyone gotten their hands on Glenn Kotche's (Wilco) signature drumstick? Its the Promark Glenn Kotche Active Wave 570. What does it compare to in terms of feel and weight? Is it a quick stick or is it a hefty stick? Your opinion on the stick is greatly appreciated!
  15. PHIL2016

If you could create a signature cymbal...

what kind of cymbal would it be? I would want to create a cymbal that is along the lines of a flat ride but with a turned up edge like a swish knocker, but a little more subtle turned up edge, and maybe one or two rivets,22" in size, I'd have it made in the Kerope series, think of the...
  16. PHIL2016

Getting a nice sound on a 16" kick...

I have a Ludwig Breakbeats kit that has a 14x16" kick drum, I just replaced the stock Remo UT head with a Remo Powerstroke 3 Clear head, any suggestions on how I can get this little cannon to have a fat sound? so far I have gotten a papery stab, im starting to think that its the best i'm gonna...
  17. PHIL2016

4.5mm Single Flange Hoops On An Acrolite

Hi! I have a mid to late 70s Ludwig Acrolite snare drum that I am overhauling, I'm replacing the throwoff with a Millineum Throwoff, then I plan to put 4.5mm single flange chrome hoops with claws, I know this will give the drum a vintage type vibe, the question is, will the single flange open...
  18. PHIL2016

Snares that favor low tunings.

I am in the market for a snare drum, I tend to favor low tuned, fat sounding snares that also sound crisp and has good presence. What shell material has worked well for you guys that go for the same tuning? Here is what I am thinking of: Bronze Shell Snare drums Copper Shell Snare Drums...
  19. PHIL2016

Time After Paying A Fill

Hi Guys/Gals! I am sure that most of you players have run into the problem of rushing the time when coming out of a fill or when playing a straight time feel and going into something a bit more busy. Heres the question I got for ya, What did you guys do to correct this problem? I played a gig...
  20. PHIL2016

Big Fat Snare Drum Products

Anyone here use any of BFSN products? Big Fat Snare Drum offers a product that lays on top of the snare drum batter head and lowers the fundamental pitch down like a third or something along those lines, giving a fat, thick, low end tone much like the sound that Don Henley had back in the day...