Search results

1. Griffin

Finally a great throne that doesn’t weigh a ton !!

I’ll be interested to see if Yamaha brings out a Crosstown throne at some point. With you on the bolt through, I like to know it’s not going anywhere mid-set. This looks interesting though.
  2. Griffin

The sound of the drum is within the heads

That takes us down a rabbit hole of what Americans consider cheese for starters 😏
  3. Griffin

From our gig last night (country music content)

Thank you for the disclaimer in the title. I would like to see this become an MPAA and OFC (Australian version) standard. seriously though, sounding great. I’m digging that fat snare and The cymbals sound great. The lead guitar had some great tone on the solo as well, as for the singer he...
  4. Griffin

The sound of the drum is within the heads

I’d add the original point wasn’t there is no difference or even that sometimes the difference doesn’t matter. The point was the level of hype some marketing puts out around shells and some drummers buy into is silly. Especially when it pushes inexperienced drummers to shell out way too much for...
  5. Griffin

First Gig with new Line Up

Had our first gig last night. Due to Covid it was a seated gig (no standing/gathering with people not on Your table and especially no dancing) and has limited numbers. The venue capacity was 50 with staff, and we hit that which was nice. There were three bands and a solo artist. The solo artist...
  6. Griffin

What Recorded Snare Sound Do You Like?

Yeah, but we say that part quietly so as to not upset Tama🤫
  7. Griffin

Total Noob Help Decide on These 3 Kits

C currently using the stage custom compact kit range as gig kits and can thouroughly recommend. Excellent build quality and hard to beat sound wise dollar for dollar. Just upgrade the heads.
  8. Griffin

Truly a terrible affliction (insert currently non existing somber emoji— side note I really need to explain to the Unicode guys that their current range of emojis is really hampering my style of sarcasm)
  9. Griffin

I thought maybe that was an attempt to recreate the St Anger snare.
  10. Griffin

Maybe that’s what this man is attempting?
  11. Griffin

Your mistake there is not heeding @C.M. Jones advice. The only thing between a man’s legs should be a highly tensioned snare, that when banged produces an almighty crack!
  12. Griffin

not related to snare sounds. But there’s a great podcast called song exploder and there’s a really good episode on Closing Time by Semisonic.
  13. Griffin

New Paiste's

I just got a set of PST 7s in the light weights. Really enjoying them.I’d be keen to try out the PSTXs. Heard nothing but good things.
  14. Griffin

Well played good sir.
  15. Griffin

It’s a shame this is a family forum, because set ups like that don’t come along too often. I will just have to exercise some self control 😉
  16. Griffin

I will hear no slander against Kiss Me. That song is perfect!
  17. Griffin

I was thinking the same thing. You’ve got good ears mate!
  18. Griffin

Don’t know if this is the setup he used on the album. But this is Dale Baker (from Sixpence) talking about how to record drums. also Kiss Me is the perfect pop song as far as I am concerned.
  19. Griffin

Also he doesn’t get mentioned much around here, but Jon Farriss’ snare with INXS sounds mint. Sometimes it’s up really high and sounds almost like a sample, other times it’s deeper and fatter— it wouldn’t work for all music but for the songs they were doing it’s always bang on. And speaking of...
  20. Griffin

Steve Gadd and Manu Katche are two session guys with great snare sounds. Manu’s work with Peter Gabriel and Sting stands out to me. Also the snare on Rosanna (and the rest of Toto’s recordings), Jeff Porcaro knew what he was doing. lastly the snare on Owner of a Lonely Heart, both the acoustic...