Search results

1. oldskoolsoul

Changing name/deleting account

I will send you both links, the original thread and the ‘joking’ one, because both are still there.. I really hope the ‘joking’ one will be deleted after that..
  2. oldskoolsoul

Changing name/deleting account

Exactly.. Sometimes i see old threads with members that wrote 1000’s and 1000’s of posts within only a few years, then they quit and no one cares.. I remember a decent member, also 1000’s of posts, wrote a sincere thread wondering if he should be considered a bad drummer.. Then someone...
  3. oldskoolsoul

Four Stroke Roll Lead Hand?

Regarding the “real” drummers comment.. I think real drummers are first busy with making music and not necessarily with wasting time on exercises that in most cases are not very productive.. Trying to play every groove both left and right handed is for example pretty useless.. Better try to...
  4. oldskoolsoul

Getting the foot perfectly in time?

Exactly.. And to make the exercise even more effective, i would say to set the metronome to 60 BPM and then..: * play 1/4 notes untill comfortable.. * then play 1/8 notes untill comfortable.. * then play 1/8 note triplets untill comfortable.. * then play 2 bars 1/4 notes, followed by 2 bars...
  5. oldskoolsoul

Not sure what the money beat is?

Correct, thats why i tried to say that drummers should not worry too much about note-to-note reproducing drum parts.. But at all the parties where i played, at least like 10% of the audience wanted for sure 1 thing, which is..: to dance.. And no one likes to dance to songs that no...
  6. oldskoolsoul

No, that would be Billy Jean.. Highway To Hell is quite difficult for some drummers to know when to start and also when to start again after the first chorus, etc.. Also difficult for most guitar players if you make an 8th note beat displacement btw lol..
  7. oldskoolsoul

There is a difference between “exactly as written” and a “sort of” own interpretation (as a drummer) and also the sort of gig.. As a well-paid coverband on for example weddings, corporate parties, etc, you can NOT play your own interpretations/feelings all the time, because NONE of the people...
  8. oldskoolsoul

Exactly.. I think even the original artist in some cases will not hear the difference btw..
  9. oldskoolsoul

Simple Drums Done Well - a series of drum lessons looking at the simple things the best drummers do to sound great.

I read first the replies before looking the video and i was expecting the worst.. But, to me nothing was really that much disturbing and i thought all those little “pop-ups” were pretty smart and giving a fresh vibe (and additional info) to the whole thing.. The only thing that bothered me (a...
  10. oldskoolsoul

I know, but since this thread is kinda relating to my reply (and those 2 people asking what a money beat is..) in your other thread, i just thought to write MY idea.. However, to stay completely on-topic.. After reading text message no 1 in this thread, i think is kinda ironic that the one...
  11. oldskoolsoul

The “issue” is not at all if the skill to play a decent money beat is necessary or not.. The “issue” (not like there really is one..) is that at this place, a drummers forum, there are like 10-20 diehards who have nothing more to preach than how important a money beat is and that everyone who...
  12. oldskoolsoul

Random drum community

Well, regarding constantly hearing the same mantras, this place also has a few.. Quick forum summary..: * All gospel chops guys suck.. * All YT-drummers (whatever that may be) suck.. * Only play a money beat.. * I repeat, ONLY play a money beat.. * More important, NEVER EVER play anything...
  13. oldskoolsoul

Mitch Mitchell drumming: top 10 Jimi Hendrix songs for drums. Tier list + stats and character sheet!

In that case those people are completely right.. Playing AC/DC songs with (lots of) fills, will sound like a complete sh*t.. Phil Rudd is not at all an incompetent or mediocre player btw, for the genre he plays.. For example, try to play this one with “just that little swing” like he always has..
  14. oldskoolsoul

Mitch Mitchell drumming: top 10 Jimi Hendrix songs for drums. Tier list + stats and character sheet!

By who exactly would a player like Mitch Mitchell be “underrated” or “underestimated”..? As far as i remember, Mitchell has always been spoken about as one of THE legends of drumming.. Those terms like “underrated”, etc for legendary players, only exist on internet forums like this, where some...
  15. oldskoolsoul

Discuss.

Thats up to the visitors.. To me is simple.. Or people accept a (temporary) new reality and act according to that, or.....not.. I played again some gigs the past weeks and i am very happy about that.. Where those gigs how they used to be..? No, they were not, but there is still a lot...
  16. oldskoolsoul

Discuss.

Personally i get much more inspired by people who still at least try to organize things like this for some live music to happen, than by a bunch of (musician..?) forum avatars who only complain.. Everyone who tries to organize cultural events, concerts, movie evenings, whatever, within the...
  17. oldskoolsoul

New Stones song "Scarlet"....just released

Charlie Watts is not playing on that track.. Bruce Rowland is playing drums.. Actually, only Jagger and Richards as official Stones members play on this..
  18. oldskoolsoul

Fired for COVID/ Age

Thats very true, i experienced this myself recently with someone who even calls himself a "drummer".. But, i always comfort myself with the believe that someone can not be a jerk his complete life without at one moment, in one way or another, paying the price for that..
  19. oldskoolsoul

Short free form solo..throwing in more chops than Jack Nicholson in The Shining

Then better put on your glasses and look again at what i wrote..: “..someone posts a video with some pretty nice playing..” Also my reply-suggestion “nice playing” shows that i think Percusski plays pretty ok.. But, to answer again your “now what..?” question (which was kinda asked in...
  20. oldskoolsoul

Short free form solo..throwing in more chops than Jack Nicholson in The Shining

How about just saying..: “nice playing”..? Like said above, someone posts a video with some pretty nice playing, thats enough.. That should actually be encouraged, instead of receiving useless replies like that..