Search results

1. J

Second public outing... It's My Life / Stormy Monday / When I Come Around - any comments appreciated!

thank you for this useful feedback. i was really conscious about the volume of the drums and was really not trying to hit too hard. totally agree.
  2. J

Second public outing... It's My Life / Stormy Monday / When I Come Around - any comments appreciated!

First time as a 3 piece, second time in front of the public Been on the drums for about 14 months All constructive criticism appreciated so I can improve! Best listening with Headphones Many thanks! James
  3. J

Developing Limb independence (struggling with Creep (Radiohead) groove)

Hi guys, may seem simple but I'm really struggling to play the 16th Kick in the song Creep without my HiHat hand wanting to do the same thing... I can play the kick pattern (inc snare if I want) on it's own fine, and I can play the HiHat part fine, but not together up to tempo (92 BPM I...
  4. J

IEM just for the click (now with 1st live performance vid!)

Small update / feedback in case it helps others Last night in the studio I ditched the IEM's for the click and just used the Live BPM app on my phone to monitor tempo. I have to say it worked a treat and totally let the music breathe - yes the tempo was varying throughout the song by a few BPM...
  5. J

Thank you very much for the comments & feedback mday, Totally agree with all of that and will give LiveBPM a go I think. Just bought it. In the studio I'm still having to reset the click during various songs - I can only assume the guitar player is slightly racing (he's the singer as well so...
  6. J

Best ever Christmas advert!

awesome! great post!
  7. J

any masterclasses coming up? in London.

just outside London, im going to this in Guildford on Weds: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/benny-greb-drum-masterclass-at-the-harbour-hotel-tickets-70752429421
  8. J

Old dude learning

This totally sums up my journey so far, I'm 47 now and also "always thought I'd had it in me" but life got in the way. Now kids are a bit older etc I can make time for this hobby. You've got to WANT to do it however.... :-) Private lessons and finding a few mates via a shout out on...
  9. J

Really useful comments guys - thank you Here's a clip of the night itself - go easy on me - never picked a drum stick up 16 months ago..! Sorry the video's dark and picking up background chatter.
  10. J

Thanks for all the advice. Went well last night - made the decision to go with the IEM's just connected to the metronome. Worked well, although I had to stop/start the click a couple of times as we all drifted a bit and I found it easier to do that than try and bring it back. It's a skill I...
  11. J

I finally made it out of the rehearsal room!

this was soooo useful to me last night (1st live outing!) - thank you.
  12. J

thanks guys - really interesting both posts above. now I'm really not sure what to do... might see if we can get in really early tomorrow eve and do a quick 'sound check' with the guys to see if i can hear them reasonably well totally understand the 'let the time breathe' and not worry so much...
  13. J

Thank you. So, first public outing the Thurs at the local social club open mic night... have used the IEMs in practice now, just connected to the metronome for now. i guess if it's all too muffled i can yank one IEM out during the song.
  14. J

I finally made it out of the rehearsal room!

that's awesome! well done for getting up and doing it! I have my first public outing with our band this Thursday at a local social club open mic night. I'm a novice, limited to what i can do but i figure trying to stay in time will be one of the most important things. So, a basic groove...
  15. J

thanks for your reply - forgive my ignorance here. totally agree with your first paragraph. probably like you i can still hear ok-ish with the custom moulded plugs in - certainly good enough to play. i never considered you can get custom moulded IEMs and not have to plug them in to anything...
  16. J

thank you very much for this in depth post, most interesting. To your points: 1.) get an in-ears feed from somewhere 2.) utilize a click The ART HeadTap allows me to take an amplified signal, such as a signal that you might get for a passive floor wedge, and you can plug right in an use it...
  17. J

Really good point, thank you. Totally get it, the fun point, but I'm pretty sure without some sort of click we will end up racing ahead - especially at the first gig where hearts will no doubt be pounding and tempo will almost certainly creep without. I think the IEM is the best way for me to...