Search results

1. J

Promark Mike Portnoy Activegrip

Promark Mike Portnoy Activegrip - Wrong Length Anyone else try these? I was excited when they were introduced because I like extended length sticks and I've had good luck with activegrip helping me with stick slippage. Weirdly, though, even though the package says they're 16 1/2", the pair I...
  2. J

What Would You Do?

After a long search, I found a set of Gretsch New Classics in the sizes I wanted and an amazing finish on the GC website for $1850 including tax and shipping. Sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22. Look at that finish! Look at that packaging!!!! Look at my bass drum!!!!! If you were me...
  3. J

Beware of FedEx

I sent a drum set via Fedex and it was damaged. Thankfully, it was well packaged and insured. However, because I sent it through the Fedex office at Office Depot, apparently I waived my right to file a claim on the damage, nor will anyone directly involved in the claims department even speak...
  4. J

Spotting Ebay Scams

I've been poking around for a new kit and check ebay, reverb, craigslist, etc., everyday (several times to be honest). I was super excited to find a 5 piece DW kit, less than a year old on eBay, with the bidding starting at $500 and reasonable shipping ($100). I was less thrilled to see that...
  5. J

12" Rack Tom Tuning

Is it me or are 12" Rack toms a bit finicky to tune? I know some folks tend to have difficulty with floor toms but the only one I can't seem to get to my liking, regardless of the kit, is the 12". Whereas I can get the 10" to have a nice resonant note with even (linear) decay, my experience...
  6. J

Ludwig Legacy Mahogany

I searched the forum for info/discussion regarding the Ludwig Legacy Mahogany and was surprised to find that there wasn't much (or at least I couldn't find it). I'm intrigued by the Legacy Mahogany because I'd like a kit with a warm, round, fat tone. The shells are 3 ply...
  7. J

Tama Star Cast Mounts - really wobbly?

Hi All, Given the glowing reviews here and seemingly everywhere regarding the Starclassic Performer B/B's, I picked up a set. I love the sound of the drums but the star cast mounts seem, er, awful. This is my first Tama kit, so perhaps it takes a bit of getting used to. As you can see in the...
  8. J

I'm Tempted...

My local GC just had a 7 piece DW kit traded in and I'm, unfortunately, quite tempted to purchase it. 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 24, and a 14" edge snare. Maple with mahogany inner ply, black chrome hardware, perfect condition...$4800. From looking around, it seems like a good price, and I certainly...
  9. J

Best _____ of the Year!

Hello All, I thought we could have a thread dedicated to our respective best drum-related video, song, equipment, instructional tip, experience, etc., from 2015. Whatever moved, inspired, helped, entertained, or otherwise stood out to you from your drumming life, post it here. I'll start with...
  10. J

What does it mean to "invert" a phrase?

I've heard the term "inverted" used when referencing alternate stickings for double strokes or paradiddles, but am unsure of what it means. Does inverting mean that the figure is played backwards (e.g., RLRR becomes RRLR), or that the sticking is the opposite (e.g., RLRR becomes LRLL)? Any...
  11. J

Tool - Schism - 5/8 & 7/8 or just 6/8?

I came across a transcription of the main groove from the song Schism by Tool, and it was written in 6/8. I wanted to work on the entire song, so I purchased a full transcription of the song from a site that offers excellent transcriptions, and the main groove is written as alternating between...
  12. J

Modern Drummer Readers Poll - Bill Bachman Nominated!

Very cool to see one of our own, Bill Bachman, nominated for the Educator category. Well deserved for such a great person and teacher. http://www.moderndrummer.com/modern-drummer-2016-readers-poll-ballot/
  13. J

DW Machined vs. Trick Pro 1V Bigfoot

Sorry to take up space with such a subjective question, but given the cost of these pedals, I was hoping for a little input/feedback, etc. I realize that both pedals are very expensive and that the cost won't help me play better. Nonetheless, I'm intrigued by the features offered by each and...
  14. J

Praise for Bill Bachman

If you're like me, you've taken lessons from lots of really good drummers who thought they could translate their skills into pedagogy. While I've had good luck with these types of instructors, I was always left wanting in terms of improving my technique. I knew something was amiss but rather...
  15. J

Help Please: Adjusting Throwoff on Snare

Hello All, I just recently purchased a Gretsch snare with a micro-sensitive strainer. The problem I'm having is that when I disengage the snares, the snares still slap against the batter head. I then have to loosen the snares to stop the slapping and then tighten them again when I reengage...
  16. J

Ply configuration vs. wood type for a lower tone

Hello All, I've learned a lot during my lurking and appreciate the collective wisdom of this forum. I'm hoping to get a new kit with a lower, somewhat darker tone. Thus far I have been comparing the Starclassic Performer B/B and Live Custom, but having spent too many hours on youtube, came...