Search results

1. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Solo number 19:
  2. 8Mile

Stan Lynch interview

This is Stan on drums from just a few years ago. I think he sounds as great as ever. I loved the laid-back feel he put down on those Petty recordings. Jimmy Iovine hated the way his drumming fit with Petty, but I think Jimmy was dead wrong about that. '
  3. 8Mile

Questions about the Yamaha CROSSTOWN hardware...

I do have a question for those of you who are gigging with it like I am. Do you still use a hardware bag or just the bag that comes with the Crosstown hardware? I've been leaving the big Ahead bag at home, but there are some things like throne and mic stands that I end up carrying loose on my...
  4. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Solo number 18:
  5. 8Mile

Pitfalls of playing a kit

It's not related to the instrument itself, but I experienced something similar to Andy's wasp incident. We were playing an outdoor gig near a lake and the sun started to go down during our last set. Suddenly, all these red beetles were flying around and into everything and everyone. Of course...
  6. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Solo 16: Solo 17:
  7. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Thanks, Dave! I appreciate you checking the videos out. I remember you talking about how important these books were to you.
  8. 8Mile

'playing in the pocket'?

I'm analytical, so I understand wanting to have a musical concept broken down into a detailed list of ingredients. But I think it's better to just listen to drummers who are known for their pocket and try to imitate them. Good examples of drummers to learn from have already been listed. The...
  9. 8Mile

Boston the "band" . . . . not a band!

Wow! Yeah, I can relate a little bit to your story because I'm my mom's technical support for her laptop. I do work in IT so I know my way around storage issues. For personal email, I use my cable provider's email web server. It's total overkill, but at times, I look back and find something...
  10. 8Mile

Boston the "band" . . . . not a band!

I wonder who played bass on Detroit Rock City? I was always suspicious that Simmons actually played that. Regarding Scholz keeping the demos, that's an amazing piece of justice right there, being able to show concrete proof of something like that. Makes me feel less crazy for saving every...
  11. 8Mile

Rocking in the Free World

I dig this, Andy! Your playing is rock solid and the whole band nails the vibe of the song. The video looks really good, too. The bassist literally kicking rocks at 3:45 stood out for me. :)
  12. 8Mile

Are overpriced drums worth it ? A Defence of mapex

If you want a set of drums and you can afford it, you should get it. I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" approach. You may pay more money now to get what you want, but in the end, you'll be happier and you may even save money by not spending more money replacing a set you were never quite...
  13. 8Mile

Music Theory & Ear Training Experience?

I just wanted to clarify that I have studied music theory and I was citing my own reasons for pursuing it. My comments are about my attempt to gauge the interest your course may generate amongst drummers who have not.
  14. 8Mile

Music Theory & Ear Training Experience?

I'm not sure how much benefit I would see in using theory to talk about drums. Maybe a little bit? For me, the main thing is being able to converse more easily with other musicians. But, that being said, maybe some drummers who would be put off by the idea of getting deep into theory would sign...
  15. 8Mile

First gig since the pandemic

I got to play live music over the weekend for the first time since February. We kicked off some rust for sure, but it felt great to get out and play for people again. Here's a trio I play with doing a cover of Robert Cray Band's Smoking Gun.
  16. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Thanks, Phil! I like the Superpad a lot. I think the feel is a little more realistic than the RealFeel and there's the added bonus of getting a surprisingly good drum sound out of it when it's seated on a snare drum (or any drum). My primary pad these days is the Reflexx. It's a lot different...
  17. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

I was able to post a video on a real snare drum using an Aquarian Super Pad. Here's solo number 15. Yes, that's a pizza box in the background. 🤦‍♂️
  18. 8Mile

RocknRoller carts

I have the R12 for a couple years and it changed everything for me. It has the big wheels on both ends. The first thing I used it for was actually moving a new bed and mattress into my bedroom. It's a great piece of gear and I recommend it strongly. I first heard about it through the Drummer's...
  19. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

Thank you, Phil! I'm off to check out those new solos on YouTube!
  20. 8Mile

Wilcoxon solos

I really appreciate all the interest and support. The different perspectives on how to play the solos is something I look at as a win-win for my own sake; every new approach brings with it a new challenge, so learning to play the solos with different interpretations is a nice way to develop my...