Search results

1. Eman101

A touching drum story for all you drum nerds like me

So this isn't blowing my own horn or anything. It genuinly makes me feel a special kind of happy. About a year and a half ago i bought a 1970's Premier kit on a second hand website. It was in a bad way. Missing plenty parts and looking rather sad. But the shells were not in poor condition, they...
  2. Eman101

Gear advice When touring into very cold areas

Hi all. So my band is going on our first national tour (yay) here in South Africa. We live in Cape Town on the coast and we're going pretty much all the way around and through the country. Temperatures drop WAY lower in inland SA (cam be below freezing). And i am admittedly concerned about our...
  3. Eman101

Pearl Free Floater - changing the shell depth

Hello drum enthusiasts. I have a brass Pearl Free floating piccollo snare, 3.5inches. I am looking to buy the 5" inch maple shell. Logic tells me if I simply buy longer tension rods along with the shell, I should be able to use the deeper shell with the piccollo free floating system. But...
  4. Eman101

Pearl Jungle Gig Adaptor sliding problem

I am hoping some of you have used/are familiar with this item: http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Pearl-JG-16-Jungle-Gig-Adapter-/art-DRU0008738-000 I am having trouble with constant sliding. Within a minute my kick pedal is sitting against the floor tom (which is now a bass drum) head. At...
  5. Eman101

Gretsch Catalina Ash or Ludwig Accent Custom?

Gonna get one of these 2 in a few days, so just want to hear some thoughts between the 2? What do you prefer? Both kits are 5 piece fusion sizes.
  6. Eman101

Replacing tom mounts on Gretsch Catalina Maple

I have, as you can probably see, a Gretsch Catalina Maple. It has GTS mounts with brackets for the tom arms screwed onto the rim that holds the tom. Those brackets have 6Mm bolts in them, and I have sripped the wingnuts on them a couple of times. I have been told that most kits use 8mm bolts...
  7. Eman101

Those plastic walls in front of the drummer...

We all know the Wall of Shame...that acrylic abomination that stops most (or all) of the drum sound travelling forward, so the soundman can control the drums through his mics. I know they generally work. My question is: has anybody tried them at home as a practice noise reducer? If I put my...
  8. Eman101

Piccolo snare - which one between these 2?

Hi there. I am looking at a local 2nd hand goods site and there are 2 piccolo snares available here for the same price: 1. Pearl Free-floating brass 3.5x14 2. Tama bird's-eye maple 3.5x14 Between these two, which is a better buy? I play different styles of music, primary acoustic folk-rock...
  9. Eman101

More bounce in a wood-stipped stick?

Hi guys and girls. I recently changed my primary stick from a Regal Tip Rock model with nylon tip to the Zildjian Dennis Chambers model with wood tip. I was always pro nylon for the brighter cymbal sound, but I immediately noticed the Chambers sticks gave me a lot more bounce on every surface...
  10. Eman101

Ludwig Octoplus

Hi all. My dad has a 190's Ludwig Octoplus. Any of you who knows the Octoplus will know the size of the kit: Bass drums: 22 x 18 (2 of them) Snare: 5 x 14 Supraphonic Toms (there are freaking 8!): 6, 8, 10, 12, 13 , 14, 15, 16 Floor tom: 18 I just have a few questions regarding the kit: 1...
  11. Eman101

Pearl's protrusion arm tom mounts

Hello. I don't know if this has been discussed before. But don't you think its odd how Pearl seem determined to keep using those protrusion arms? The only other drum manufacturers I know using them are budget kit makers. Granted, Pearl have made some great steps to make their arms attractive...