Search results

1. MikeM

LM402 tuning driving me crazy

I have two Ludwig snares (LM402 & LB417) and they both share a design flaw that is worth being aware of; that the butt plate is too close to the snare side bearing edge, so as the snare side head ages and stretches, and as you continue tightening it to compensate, the metal collar of the head...
  2. MikeM

16" and 18" floor tom interval observation

I noticed this issue when I used to have 16" and 18" floors. That's why I went to pairing a 15" with an 18". It's not because I like a 15" better than a 16", but the 15" is just far enough away from the 18" when tuned with a similar low-ish tension.
  3. MikeM

R.I.P Neil Peart

Holy Shit, that sucks!
  4. MikeM

Latest Band - Glose

It's been a while since I've posted anything around these parts, though I still check in to get my lurkie-loo in from time to time. Anyway, here's one of the projects I've been working on for the last coupla years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1f32ICPgA8
  5. MikeM

Larry's Snare Giveaway Pt 2: The Fallout

Since I won Larry's Bronze Sensitone, and to spread the love, I'm giving this Brass Sensitone to someone here who can put it to good use and I'll ship it right to your door free of charge. My gain is your gain! This is a kickass 5.5x14 full of life in minty condition and is totally stock...
  6. MikeM

Black Dot on Bass Drum?

Short answer: Yes! I hadn't used one of these since sometime back in the '80s, and based on my observation of other drummers I see locally and here on DW, most probably have either never tried them or it's been a long time. But I'm back to using them now and can't say enough good things about...
  7. MikeM

First Nite Out With The New Band

I was already in one band that I was totally happy with and was looking for another to play bass. But then these guys came along needing a drummer and I couldn't say no because I really like their songs and the fact that they don't shy away from odd time signatures. So I guess I'll have to play...
  8. MikeM

Alternative to S-Hoop?

It's happened to me twice now, where I show up to a venue that uses clip-on mic holders that are not compatible with the S-Hoop shape, so during short changovers, I've had to work with the soundperson to come up with a work-around. I love these hoops and use them on both my snare batters. There...
  9. MikeM

Why Musicians DON'T Deserve to Get Paid

Sure to raise hackles and get some people bent out of shape, but I read this and got quite a laugh from it. We've all read the same versions of the opposite view. This is the first counter argument I've seen. Begin rant.
  10. MikeM

Video Camera Advice

I want to get me one of these gizmos so I can become a famous YouTube drummer! Haha, okay maybe not. But I do want one and don't know what to look for. I hear a lot about the Zoom something or others with a Q somewhere in the name, but I also remember reading on here that the new ones don't...
  11. MikeM

Another "What I Was Doing in '93" Thread

In this installment of "Blast From the Past!", my first real band, Control Freak (1990-1994), and our first 7" Emma's Thread b/w Sucker Curiosity Note: Check the "maiden" name! Later, we put out a full-length and toured. Here's a song shot during a west coast tour we did. Oh, and here's...
  12. MikeM

Soundgarden Demo (not cover)

I’ve been reluctant to post this, but now that initial shock and weirdness has subsided, I’ve decided what the hell – time to post! Here’s the backstory: Chris Cornell and I had some mutual friends back in the early ‘90s and had several jam sessions together. He...
  13. MikeM

McCartney and Grohl - Again!

Wow, just got home from this show tonight. Holy cow, that was cool! http://www.noise11.com/news/nirvana-reunite-again-to-perform-with-paul-mccartney-in-seattle-20130720 It'll probably be YouTube-able shortly if anyone's interested. Abe was no slouch as usual, but I guess that goes without...
  14. MikeM

The Minimal Setup

I went and saw a band Friday night and they were really great. They have two drummers, a *really* great bass player, and great singer. I like their material a lot, too. Catchy stuff. One of the drummers has a deeper set of drumming skills, but the electronic programming is done by the other guy...
  15. MikeM

Video of Show Last Month

I just discovered this today on YouTube from a show we did a month or two ago. There's just two songs and it's pretty rough in a few spots (both guitar and drumming mistakes). The first one is still under construction. We're getting ready to record it (and a few others) in June, so we thought...
  16. MikeM

Crimped Snare Beds?

My Joyful Noise TKO Brass has these. You can't really see from any pics of these drums since the bottom hoop pretty well covers them (you can a little if you're looking for them), but as soon as you take off the bottom head, you can see that there are massive indentations into the side of the...
  17. MikeM

Old Tama Superstar Mod...?

So I've had my 30-year-old Tama Superstars for about 8 months now and have been playing them exclusively. I remember thinking that they'd be something I'd need to get used to when I first got them because they really need to be hit hard to open up, the heads need to be cranked, and there's still...
  18. MikeM

Musing on Snare Drum Offerings

Just got one of these off eBay this week. It's a mid '80s Tama 8056 (Imperialstar / Mastercraft) and it's a pretty stout 6.5x14 seamless steel shell with die cast hoops. I'm not normally a big fan of steel snares but I've heard two or three that I like and this is my favorite among them. I used...
  19. MikeM

Big Bass Drum Wars - The Champion

I don't know how big this sucker is ... I'll guess he's not playing bop. I'd still cut it down to a 14" depth, but that's just me.
  20. MikeM

Don't see one of these everyday

And still available as of this posting: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/3130426070.html 30" ... wow, that's amazing - I can see why it's so dirty. And only a thousand bucks!