Search results

1. Mongrel

Favorite Large Condenser Mic...

For recording under $500 each? Title says it all...
  2. Mongrel

For Art...(Agrippa)

Checked out your YouTube channel and saw you had a version of this. I have a version too...lol. Some goofs, but we both know these aren't final exams, just having some fun sharing with "friends". The groove on this tune is so good. I can never get enough of it. I Can't Go for That by Hall...
  3. Mongrel

For John Wesley...

Based on your comments on the Keith Moon thread about focusing on the song and having fun, you may be one of the only people to appreciate this...lol. I'm curious what you think of it... Recorded for 'fun' about two years ago. Me having a "conversation" with Buffy St. Marie on a tune from...
  4. Mongrel

Video Software Recommendation...

Hopefully OK to ask this in "General"...didn't seem right to put it in "Your Playing" or "Off topic". Total video newb looking for a basic video editing program for Windows so that I can edit Canon DSLR .MOV drum covers. Doesn't have to be free, but under $50 would be appreciated. Also-the...
  5. Mongrel

Take it outside!

Just a reminder.... Before you judge that drum, cymbal, new head that you have been disappointed with while playing in your practice space, try playing it in a different room\environment. My personal practice space is a hole in the ground called a "basement" with no acoustic treatment, and is...
  6. Mongrel

Recording-what do I need to do this?

A friend and I are recording drum tracks in his home studio through a Focusrite Clarette unit (not sure what model exactly but has 8 xlr inputs) and into Pro Tools. We are using a 4-5 mic setup. This requires me to breakdown and haul my kit 30 minutes away...set up...break down haul...
  7. Mongrel

Rehearsal Volume...

Looking for some insight on rehearsal volume\s... At rehearsal last night it occurred to me that by rehearsing at (intentionally) low volume ALL the time we may be doing ourselves a disservice. In other words, if the performance volume will be significantly louder, shouldn't we spend at least...
  8. Mongrel

Here we go..."Mongrel Plays"...

May get flagged from Soundcloud, but we'll see. Still learning on doing decent recordings but this is a drum part I'm working on for Buffy Saint Marie's version of "Little Wheel Spin and Spin". No drums in the original. Link: https://soundcloud.com/user-404965202-934619345/wheelup2/s-OncC7...
  9. Mongrel

PC video software?

Apologies up front if this is in the wrong spot.... Looking for a (cheap/easy) way to edit videos of my playing. All I really want/need to do is to take video from a DSLR and sync it together with audio from a separate wav file. Any suggestions for something cheap and easy to use for this...
  10. Mongrel

Paiste...just got bit-hard....

My cymbal world is crashing....lol... After collecting, piecemeal, and with no clear direction, various Zildjians (and one HH Sabian rawbell ride) I have suddenly come to the conclusion that I need to switch over to Paiste. (I was doing a little inventory and Bonham, Mason, and Bruford, all...
  11. Mongrel

Audix D6/D4 opinions and experience....

So I picked up an Audix D6 after reading reviews and listening to comparisons. Trying to dial my D6 in on a 14" x 18" bassdrum has been difficult. I believe due to two things in particular-the low frequency weighting of the mic as designed and the small size of the bass drum. It comes across...
  12. Mongrel

Hot or Cool...?

Carried this over from the Joe Morello thread... Put your favorite drummers in one category or the other-"hot" or "cool"... Here's the idea... Joe Morello is "cool" Buddy Rich is "hot" Stewart Copeland is "hot" Bill Bruford is "cool" Your turn...
  13. Mongrel

First time recording...

I recently had the chance to record drums and percussion for the songwriting team "Arrow & Ember" on a new Christmas song they just wrote. I have never been recorded, laid down a drum track, or played to a click, so this was all new to me. They are some really fine people to work with and it...
  14. Mongrel

Rods and Rides...

Before setting out to hit everything I can hanging on the walls of my closest GC and Sam Ash, I'm looking for input on choosing a ride cymbal (or "type" of ride cymbal) that will give the best experience using Promark Hot/Cool rods (and their related brethren)... Talking about a *dedicated*...
  15. Mongrel

Guitar Center "DW Days"....

Just saw an email from Guitar Center advertising 20% discount off of DW and PDP gear... I've been hemming/hawing over picking up some lightweight hardware for awhile and took advantage of the sale to pickup two cymbal stands, snare stand, and hi-hat stand. Total price was $256 with free...
  16. Mongrel

Crazy? (looking for an opinion or two...)

Vintage or not? I have 7 pre-1970 Rogers Holiday/Tower/Powertone pieces...(2) 12" toms (1) 13" tom (2) 16 X16 " toms (1) 14 x 20" BD (1) 14 x 24" BD. All pieces in Red Onyx. All in good "player" condition. Wraps are tight, tom mounts and lugs are all usable. My main kit is a Tama...