Search results

1. M

Ghost notes NOT on snare?

Yes, that's all very true and pertinent. I just didn't know what the standard convention with notation was since I've never seen a ghost note written in music for drum kit where it's not on the snare. For example, I would wonder whether to write the start of Sing, Sing, Sing with normal tom hits...
  2. M

Well, there ya go, that's news to me! I looked for evidence of this all over google and couldn't find anything, so thank you.
  3. M

Hi all, Next up in my series of fairly mundane questions about drum notation is this one. Has anyone seen a ghost note written not on a snare? I've got a couple of beats I'm notating where it seems to make sense to notate the odd quiet hit not on a snare drum as a ghost note - on a tom or a...
  4. M

How to notate hitting a drum with two sticks at the same time (NOT a flam)?

Yeah that's true. This book I'm working on currently has beats numbering in the thousands and I haven't written sticking for anything so far. The idea is that it could be worked through and elaborated on with a teacher. But I might have to just bite the bullet and write sticking for a few of...
  5. M

He says in that video it's hard to tell from listening to the song whether the backbeats are flammed or played at the same time. Certainly his version is flammed but in the original it sounds more like it's played at the same time to me.
  6. M

Yes, Lucille is a great example! That sounds like it'd be played riding on the snare with the right stick and hitting 2 and 4 with the left. It doesn't sound like it's flamming on those hits to me. I guess the drummer could be doing that R R L R, or R L R L, but it sounds like he's doing R R...
  7. M

Thanks all for the responses! Looks like I could either choose to write the note in both voices simultaneously, or write U for unison or B for both if I were indicating sticking. This is the beat in question. The drummer is 'riding' on the snare with his right stick and only playing the 2 and...
  8. M

Hey gang - the question says it all! I'm writing a drum book at the moment and there are a couple of beats I want to write that are used in certain songs where the drummer hits the drum with two sticks at the same time. For all intents and purposes it sounds the same as if they hit it with one...
  9. M

Drag notation

Yes, this is great feedback, thank you! I am more self taught than some and come from a more music composition background than purely drummer background, so this notation had always confused me. I guess it’s just one of those idiosyncratic drum things that kinda stuck. I was referring to this...
  10. M

Drag notation

Hey all, I've been working on a drum beat book for some time now, and long story short I'm up to a chapter on drags and have been thinking about the confusing way in which they are notated. Drags are of course usually notated with two grace notes. This would imply that a drag doesn't really...