Search results

1. Pylot

Earthtone Heads

I have a mid 50's Slingerland snare. When I use poly heads on it there is a ring that is really annoying. I tried the Calftone heads. The Calftone totally changed the drum, eliminated the ring and just sounded great. But the Calftone's have a delamination problem. Hopefully Evans solves...
  2. Pylot

Got a 10" Ludwig Element Tom

I have a 70's era Ludwig 3 ply set in smaller sizes, 12/14 rides, 16 floor and a 20 Kick. The snare is an old 50's Slingerland. I don't believe that Ludwig ever made a 10" Tom in 2nd Gen Blue Oyster Pearl. So I picked up a never used Ludwig Element 10" Tom in a deep brown color that was...
  3. Pylot

Tuning Adventure

I have a LM402 chrome over aluminum 6.5X14 Supraphonic. Emperor coated batter and Ambassador coated reso. Been trying to get that classic sound from it. Here is what I did this morning. Pulled the heads and figured out the resonance of the shell. I have a Tune Bot. Turns out the shell...
  4. Pylot

Retrobright Experience

I put together the ingredients to mix up some Retrobright and tried it today on a 13" Gen 2 Blue Oyster Pearl Tom. First of all this is just my experience and your mileage may vary. This stuff is actually very caustic and you really have to be careful with it. If you try to use this you are on...
  5. Pylot

Retr0bright on Blue Oyster Pearl?

I have three second gen Ludwig Blue Oyster Pearl drums with wrap that is much darker than the others I have of the same vintage. I have several that have a really nice bright blue with very nice pearl in them. It looks like the wrap has yellowed and I am wondering if the Retr0bright might...
  6. Pylot

Finding your form

I got back into drumming very recently with a set of Bonham sized drums that are all 70's era Ludwigs in phenomenal shape. The kick is a 24" but the snare, ride and floor toms are all Bonham sizes. I got lucky and I know it. They are all in great shape and the wrap is very bright!!! But I...
  7. Pylot

Drum Room

I recently acquired a killer set of early 70's Ludwigs in good to excellent condition. I have not played drums since about the same time. Got em set up in my basement and quickly found out that I would get kicked out of the house or the neighborhood depending on who got to me first, the wife...