Search results

1. Stroman

An oldie...

I don't have the means to record anything new, so I thought I'd share an older video. Hope you enjoy. 😊
  2. Stroman

Vic Firth wear pattern

Has anyone else experienced this with Vic Firth sticks? I notice that when they wear, they really start to fray at the point where I do rim shots. I've never seen this with the Pro Marks, which is mostly what I've used in the 45 years I've been playing, nor have I seen it in the smattering of...
  3. Stroman

Disappointing Day

Well, I was at the kit today practicing, and my 16" Istanbul Agop Traditional Dark crash just suddenly went dead. I took it off the stand and looked it over, and couldn't see anything at first. After some gentle flexing under good light, I finally found what I already knew was there - a crack...
  4. Stroman

A little hill country blues

I think one of the reasons I can't get toooo hung up on technique and correctness is because I like stuff like this - I couldn't play that drum part if my life depended on it - I'm too uptight! lol I sure like it, though. Real people making real music.
  5. Stroman

Neil Peart Tribute - "Time Stand Still"

I just saw this video from the US Army band and I was blown away. Made me cry all over again. I'm getting to be a mush-ball.
  6. Stroman

I Followed Bo's Advice...

... and took off the reso heads! What's more, I'm diggin' it. I haven't played concert toms for, ohhh, 35 or 40 years. I got a hankering to try them again, so I took the resos off my Classic Maples. They sound really good - I'm loving the punchy bite and the deep tone, and the shorter note is...
  7. Stroman

New Ludwig Heads - a review

Recently, on a whim, I put a coated Heavy Ludwig Weathermaster head on my 13" Musashi snare drum. I needed a new head for the drum, and instead of buying one I used one of the heads I took off my Maple Classics when I bought them in 2010. It sounded absolutely splendid! That got me wondering...
  8. Stroman

Trying out some second line styles

Here are a couple of quick phone vids of me trying out second line styles. One has a syncopated bass drum, and the other has a simple 4 on the floor bass drum. They are mercifully short. :) I'm pretty new to this style, and I've been making a lot of changes to the way I play, due to some...
  9. Stroman

2112 in a country song??!!

One night our band ended a set with this particular song, and this guy caught me as soon as I came off the stage. He said, "Dude!! That last song had a drum part from 2112 in it!!" At first I thought he was just another drunk bar patron, then I gave it a moment's thought. Sure enough, he was...
  10. Stroman

Cool Instrumental

This is a piece that I was working on, long-distance, with a guitarist. He sent me a file, I recorded a drum part and sent it back. I really like the piece. Unfortunately, he embedded the drum machine in the master track, so there was no way to remove it. When he tried to re-record the piece...
  11. Stroman

Always a Cowboy - Full Band

So, that 6/8 tune I posted before - I was poking around on my computer and found a full band recording of it. I think it was a rehearsal. I don't really remember recording it, but here it is, lol. I like this arrangement quite well, but it's a touch faster and I'm not sure I prefer that...
  12. Stroman

A nice slow 6/8 ballad

This one is an original by pianist Dennis Washburn. We recorded the keyboard, vocal, and drum part at my house so the rest of the band could learn it.
  13. Stroman

Something a little rockin'

An originals band I played with in college. It was originally called Zero Gravity, but the name was changed to Deep Crossing. Enjoy!
  14. Stroman

I Run to You

This was a big crossover hit for Lady Antebellum, and I always enjoyed playing the simple but powerful drum part. Great song. Another recording for our band's promo package.
  15. Stroman

Noodly Hypno-Indian Drummy Stuff

This bit began life as an experiment with tabla and other Indian sounds on my Roland kit. I recorded a little loop and the decided to play along with it on the acoustic kit. It isn't a fully-developed piece, but I rather like parts of it.
  16. Stroman

Another from the vault

Here is another promo recording from the country band I was in for years. Feedback appreciated! BTW - I had no experience in home recording at the time these were made. I had a Firepod and a living room, and we went from there. :)
  17. Stroman

That's How Country Boys Roll

From the days when I played in a c-c-c-country band... Just a little promo recording.
  18. Stroman

I wonder why...

... my favorite snare drums are my cheapest ones? I have four snares - a George Way walnut, a Pork Pie Big Black, a pawn-shop Ludwig Acrolite, and a Yamaha Musashi I bought from Gruntersdad many moons ago. My two favorites are the Acrolite and the Musashi. What they both do that makes them...
  19. Stroman

AM Drum Parts?

Anyone here make any purchases from AM Drumparts? http://www.amdrumparts.com/ The website looks a bit dated, but the prices are good. I was wondering if they are reputable?
  20. Stroman

Problem with George Way Snare

I've having increasing difficulty tuning my George Way walnut snare. I thought it might be a head problem, so I've tried several, with no improvement. Certain lugs are higher pitched than the surrounding lugs, even with the tension rods completely backed out at the high pitched lugs. Today I...