Search results

1. M

Between 3 kits....

So, I'm not sure saying I've narrowed it down to three kits is a good thing or not. All three have a sound that would work for me. All are 10/12/14/20 kits with a snare (which I don't need). Yamaha Stage Customs (natural finish) , PDP Concept Birch (cherry to black fade sparkle), and Mapex...
  2. M

Mapex Armory's

Figured I'd start a thread. These are pretty impressive looking and sounding drums for their pricepoint. I prefer a bass drum tom mount, but those are getting few and far in between on decent kits. It looks like the older Armory's that are still in stock can be had with add on toms. Checking...
  3. M

Sold my SCP B/B's, looking again.... sorry.

Long time no post. I've been doing nothing drumming wise until a few months ago for several years. I started playing as our local town's big band jazz drummer as their original member retired just before turning 80. I'm a rock n roll kid from the 80's and 90's, so it has been quite the...
  4. M

My newest snare addition.... SLP G Bubinga

Couldn't pass up the Sam Ash 0% for 24 months! This snare also closely matches my Starclassic B/B limited edition finish and black hardware. Did a lot of listening online, almost thinking it could replace my DW 10&6 maple collectors I bought in 04. Seriously considering a Stewart Copeland...
  5. M

Am I a freak for not liking virgin bass drums?

I tried my first set recently with a virgin bass and was just irritated by the stand placement and had a really hard time getting the toms where I wanted them. Might also have been I didn't feel like buying all the required Pearl only hardware and the toms not having legs. Do I stick with...
  6. M

Affordable decent quality tom mounts for Pearl Optimounted toms

I have Tama Roadpro hardware and was wondering what affordable stuff you guys have had great experience with. I'll need mounts for the 10 and 12 as well as the 14 and 16. I'd like to convert to the rims iso style mount for the FT's eventually, but they're $70 each.
  7. M

Looking for a shellpack again..... yay.

Yea, it's time again. I recently bought and returned some Tama SC b/b drums with a wrap due to the wrap joints. IMO, they were not good and I wasn't comfortable with the beveled cut in the shell and roughness of the job that was done. I may have been wrong as this may be acceptable with...
  8. M

SCP B/B BD- Emad, Emad2, or Gmad?

I used the first gen Emad on my Cat Birch and SCP birch bd's and really liked them. How do the Emad2 and Gmad heads compare? I don't play metal, mostly rock/top40 stuff. I play heel up and tend to leave the beater against the head. I guess it's a lazy style.....
  9. M

Finally bought a kit after insane debating....

After looking and considering the Tama Starclassic b/b's, Mapex Saturn SE's, Gretsch Renowns, Premier Genistas, and hunting for used kits, I finally decided to order a new Tama Starclassic B/B in vintage champagne sparkle. I can't recommend Michael from Greenbrier Music highly enough. He...
  10. M

Opinions or thoughts on Mapex Saturn birch/walnut

I didn't care for my Saturn maple/walnut kit. Could have been my "drum room" affecting the sound. The first bass drum was really out of round and had to be replaced, but I understand things happen. I had a really hard time getting the right sound from the floor toms. I was just preached to...
  11. M

Outstanding opportunity for someone....

It says it requires a MBA and 8-12 years experience. Wish I had it. I have 18 years in the car business between sales and service...... http://www.ludwig-drums.com/sales-director-percussion.php Hope someone here is qualified and interested if it isn't already filled.
  12. M

New Premier Genista's vs Tama Silverstars

For anyone who has experience with both of them, I've hit a couple of Silverstars and thought they sounded pretty good. Haven't been able to hear the bass drum as local shops just don't have them set up. I've only heard the Genistas on youtube and was impressed, online reviews were very...
  13. M

Ddrum Dios maple kit

Any consensus or opinions on these drums? Someone offered to trade me for my Mapex Saturns (mine are 10 months old). There are my size choices 8/10/12/14/16 22x20 virgin bass. I have never been impressed with Ddrums lower lines and have heard of quite a bit of quality inconsistency issues.
  14. M

Need help ID'ing some Premier drums

A friend is looking at a mix match set of drums that obviously have some Premier's in. They have some odd looking single point lugs and single sided bass tension rods. Any help appreciated. I'm guessing the other drums as Pearl Exports, they're definitely cheap as they appear to have metal...
  15. M

Crazy GC deal??

I just received an email from Guitar Center. $75 off $349 and above. That would make the SLP Tama Bubinga snare $275 shipped. Seems like a crazy deal I thought I'd pass on... http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-S-L-P--G-Bubinga-Snare-Drum-107408601-i2281888.gc?rel=email&source=4TP2KBF Just...
  16. M

My new Mapex Satruns in supernova red sparkle!! Love em!

Posted them in the wrong section already! Still working on getting the "right" sound from the 16" floor. I'm sure if I played them somewhere other than my "drum room", they'd sound very different. Concrete floor and two concrete walls with floor joists above me, an uninsulated garage wall and...
  17. M

Finally took pics of my new Mapex Saturn kit in supernova

Well, I finally tidied up my "drum room" area and took pics. I got them about two weeks ago. Quite awesome sounding drums, probably have no peer at their price point. I will say I do love the sound of Tama Starclassic b/b's, but they were too much more money new versus new. The 10" tom...
  18. M

Tama SCP B/B's versus Mapex Saturns

Well, I thought I was deciding between the Mapex Saturns and Saturn LE birch drums. I may rule out the birch drums as they're $150 more and no snare. I was offered a sick deal on basically brand new SCP BB/s in 8/10/12/14/16/22 (I assume no snare), so I'm trying to decide tonight before...
  19. M

PDP Maple and Birch Concept drums

Looks like there's another kit available in the "affordable" drums category. The birch kit comes in only two finishes, but the maple is offered in 6. They look to have a lot of "DW inspired" hardware. Made overseas under DW's supervision. Appear to have the lugs from one of their special...
  20. M

Premier is back in the US!

I just saw some drums listed by cymbaldude on ebay! It's new news to me anyway. He has Premier Genista birch drums in a 5 pc shellpack listed at $1399. I'm not thrilled with the lack of "free floating" or isolated mounts though. Here's a pic or two. I used to drool over the Genistas...