Search results

1. B

Instructional books for tom patterns

When I first started playing drums, I used "A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer" by Charles Dowd. It used progressively more complicated beats to help develop limb independence and expand the player's repertoire. I absolutely loved it, and it helped me improve by leaps and bounds really quickly...
  2. B

Instructional books for tom patterns

When I first started playing drums, I used "A Funky Primer for the Rock Drummer" by Charles Dowd. It used progressively more complicated beats to help develop limb independence and expand the player's repertoire. I absolutely loved it, and it helped me improve by leaps and bounds really...
  3. B

Are you self sufficient?

In another forum I got into a discussion with someone about the lifestyles musicians lead. Basically, this person stated that musicians (and drummers specifically, by his reasoning) were leeches on society who spent too much time living in their moms' basements. So this got me to wondering how...
  4. B

Jack White's drum setup

It seems so strange. His rack toms are completely flat and level with his snare. What are the benefits and drawbacks of playing with this sort of setup?
  5. B

How important is sex appeal?

Do young, male musicians have a significantly better chance of making it in the music industry if they're attractive, fit, and fashionable? I know this is a commonly sought after trait for lead vocalists, who are traditionally in the limelight, but does it matter for those of us in the rhythm...
  6. B

Evans and Ludwig Epic series snares

Some time in the next 6 months I'm going to be purchasing a Ludwig Epic Pro Beat shell pack. I read one review which stated that the 14 inch snares that come with the Epic series kits won't accommodate Evans heads. It apparently has something to do with Evans heads having thin rims and Epic...
  7. B

Mental health, medication, and music

I would like to preface this by saying that I'm sorry if it comes off as a sob story/public service announcement. I'm just posting an account of my experiences in hopes that somebody else will get something out of it. I've lived with major depressive disorder and dysthymia for the past five...
  8. B

Cymbal savers

I've read references to something called cymbal savers. What are they?
  9. B

Planning my next kit, looking for feedback

As the subject line indicates, I'm in the midst of planning my next major drum set purchase. I wanted to post the current specs here and get any advice from you guys that I can. I need to get a kit that's well suited for playing small venues un-mic'd, and with enough versatility to be...
  10. B

How important are resonant heads?

Do you guys just stick with the stock resonant heads that came with the set? If not, do you buy basic resonants like the Evans Genera line or go for their upscale stuff like the EC Resonant heads?
  11. B

Paiste Alphas, Saludas, or Wuhans?

I'm about to buy some new cymbals, and I don't want to spend more than $650. I need a pair of hats, two crashes, and a ride. I'm not looking for spectacular cymbals, but something that can be used in a live setting like small bars. I've been considering the three brands mentioned in the...
  12. B

Effects of temperature on wooden drums?

I'm going to be getting a maple drum set soon, and I may need to build a shed specifically for the drum set due to lack of space in the house. Now, obviously I have to weather seal the shed to protect the wood from moisture, but I'm unsure about temperature. I would hate to spend the money to...
  13. B

Medications ever effect your drumming?

I recently started taking bupropion and divalproex for mental health reasons. Since I've started taking them I've noticed that my coordination is suffering slightly, and it's affecting my drumming. Certain rudiments which I could do at blazing fast speed before, like paradiddles and triplets...
  14. B

Most essential jazz rudiments?

Since I don't have a drum kit right now I'm spending a lot of time working on rudiments with a practice pad. I want to maximize the efficiency of my practice schedule here, so I have a question for all of you: What would you say are the five rudiments most important for jazz drumming? Should I...
  15. B

New drummer preparing for music school

I'm a 23 year old male college drop out who started playing the drums about a year and a half ago. I don't feel that I'm exaggerating when I say that the hobby has changed my life. It's the only thing in my life which I'm passionate about and which I seem to have a real talent for. So I've...