Search results

1. P

32 bar solo from Jack DeJohnette

Hi y’all, I have a class assignment coming up and I need to do a transcription of a 32 bar drum solo. Anybody know of any songs where Jack DeJohnette plays a 32 bar drum solo? thanks in advance
  2. P

What’s the difference between jazz combo and jazz ensemble?

As the title says. Thanks to all in advance.
  3. P

Suggest some jazz waltz tunes that have trading

Sup y’all, Suggest some jazz waltz tunes with trading happening. Looking to see what the masters did in 3/4. Thx!
  4. P

Please recommend some John Coltrane Albums with Elvin Jones’ trading

As the title says. I’m looking to pull some vocab from Elvin within John Coltrane’s music.
  5. P

Technique for hitting only the top of hi hats fast?

I was practicing improvising an open drum solo and I came up with this idea of having my right hand play fast triplets on the top of the hi hat, so no accents. I quickly found that my technique got in the way and couldn’t execute it as fast as the solo called for it. Is there a certain technique...
  6. P

Post the best open drum solos here

I’d like to listen to some musical, open drum solos. What I mean is where the drummer is the only one who plays and doesn’t have any reference to a melody that was just played earlier. Want to learn because I have a college audition and I am required to just play an improvised solo.
  7. P

Stick moves horizontally instead of vertically

I noticed after video taping myself that my left hand’s stick moves side to side a bit and I’ve noticed that it contributes to the sloppiness in my playing. https://youtu.be/v9ZrxHJ_BBc What can I do to fix this issue and make it so my stick moves in an up and down motion? I’ve tried using...
  8. P

How to play a rhumba?

My audition requires that I am pay a rhumba, but I consulted my drum teacher and he said that it doesn’t make sense that one would ask someone to play a rhumba, or something along those lines. He told me the closest thing is the cha cha. but I am curious to know if this is true, just to make...
  9. P

Soloing in time, issues

I’m currently practicing big band charts for my audition in a couple of weeks and in the charts there are some drum solo sections. I think I have the chops and the speed but my problem is playing them in time. You see, with a click I can solo okay but in some of the tracks I’m listening to...
  10. P

Trouble playing a fast shuffle with left hand

I’m trying to play a jazz shuffle and I’m having difficulty getting my left hand up to speed. I’m trying to ghost all the 8th notes except for the 2 and 4, which are rimshots. Any suggestions/videos for getting my technique down to do this?
  11. P

Neck pain from looking at music stand

I’ve been experiencing neck pain and stiffness on the left side of my neck due to constantly looking to the left to see the music charts. I tried placing the stand in front of me so I wouldn’t have to turn my neck but due to having my Tom mounted to a stand, I have to place it behind the stand...
  12. P

Difficulty with hitting figures at high tempos

I’m going through some big band charts and when the music is of a fast tempo, I end up missing the accents at times. How do I get better at reading any chart to be able to hit the figures accurately at fast tempos? I need to get to the point where I just see a chart for the first time and I am...
  13. P

Help with French grip technique

I’ve posted about wrist pain before in my ride cymbal hand. Initially I thought it was because I was playing with too much tension but I discovered that it’s because I’ve been playing with my wrist moving in a vertical motion if you were to look at the hand in French grip, which is not the way...
  14. P

Big band Albums where you can hear the drums

Please suggest some classic big band albums I could listen to that don’t have the drums insanely quiet. A lot of the ones I’ve listened to have this issue.
  15. P

Wrist pain, can someone help me understand why?

A few days ago i started getting this pain in my wrist. The pain is on the bottom of the wrist, if you put your hand into French grip. It kind of feels like a “cold pain”, if you know what i mean. Not sharp pain. https://youtu.be/sDihHYvNbpA I haven’t changed my technique or anything to cause...
  16. P

How do the pros practice for so long?

I’ve heard guys like Matt Garstka and Stanley Randolph talking about practicing and they would practice like 7-8 hours per day. How do they do it without getting burnt out? I desire to be able to play as much as I can in the day but I can’t play that much because I get burnt out temporarily.
  17. P

What does “playing time” mean in jazz?

Super simple question, what does it mean to play time in jazz? Does it mean to just play the ride and hats?
  18. P

Pain/fatigue/cramp in right hip

I’m getting this sort of hip pain/fatigue/cramping in my right hip and I’m only 17. Playing heel up is worse compared to heel down, with heel down the cramping or tension is minimal. I’ve noticed this when I started to use heel up with the Bossa Nova. Here are two short videos to show, one...
  19. P

Requirements for my big band audition

I have an audition to prepare for in some months and it’s for the jazz fm 91 youth big band. This is the website: http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/education-mainmenu-111/jazzfm91-youth-big-band-mainmenu-114 This is the page for the audition requirements (says 2017-2018 but the requirements are...
  20. P

What sources should I study from for sight reading?

Hey guys, I have a big band audition for youth in some months and here are the requirements for it: 1. Swing feel (varied tempos) 2. Latin feels (varied tempos) 3. Rock beat (varied tempos) 3. Improvised solo (optional) 4. Sight reading (will be provided) As you can see, sight reading is one...