Search results

1. JimmyTheMonkey

Drums in Kitchen?

So I am moving to a new place next month. No perfect place to put the drum set. The kitchen is quite large, however. I am thinking of putting them in a 10x8 nook on the edge of the kitchen. Only thing that worries me is any possible long term damage from keeping them in the kitchen. Set would...
  2. JimmyTheMonkey

Great new addition to my Grohl/Hawkins/Bonham style kit

Zildjian 24" ZHT Ride. This is the ride Grohl used with Them Crooked Vultures. Very hard to find. I had to scope out ebay/CL for better part of a year to find one. Very happy. I am switching back and forth with my 21" A Sweet Ride. It is HUGE. Makes the other cymbals feel like splashes...
  3. JimmyTheMonkey

Apparently Vic Firth also makes cook ware

I took out the recycling yesterday and noticed a discarded package with Vic Firth label. Apparently they have a whole line of wooden cook ware and my girlfriend randomly purchased a rolling pin from them. Makes sense, considering their drum stick experience. Such an odd business...
  4. JimmyTheMonkey

is 1/8" difference "out of round"?

Hey experts out there. I was having a hard time tuning my Ludwig Black Magic 14x6.5 brass snare and noticed that it is especially hard to tune across two opposed lugs. I took off the head and the measuring tape reveals that the snare is slightly longer across these two lugs. The difference is...
  5. JimmyTheMonkey

Resotune II

There is not many reviews out there of this? I tried Tune but and did not have much success with fine tuning. Still lots of unwanted overtones that are driving me crazy. Has anyone actually tried the new Resotune? Will it be better for fine tuning? The videos of I see of it on youtube are...
  6. JimmyTheMonkey

My brand new Ludwig kit! Thank you to everyone who gave me advice

After weeks of scouring ebay and Craigslist for deals and negotiating with retail salesmen for the best price, I have finally put together my new acoustic kit. Because of apartment living, this is the first acoustic kit I have had in over a decade, so it is a very exciting day! It sounds...
  7. JimmyTheMonkey

Abnormal hammer marks on new Zildjian K Hybrid cymbal?

Hey y'all. I got a brand new cymbal today - Zildjian K hybrid crash - 19". I love the sound. Only concern is some pretty deep hammer marks on the cymbal, so much they go through the bronze outer layer. Salesman assured me these are normal. What do you think? Are these normal with hammered...
  8. JimmyTheMonkey

Alternatives to Westone custom ear plugs?

I am in the market for some more versitle hearing protection (believe it or not, I am not keen on wearing my Vic Firth Isolations to a Foo Fighters concert). I have looked around the forum and the only audiologist-created in-ear plugs I could find are the Westone 49s. Is this this because...
  9. JimmyTheMonkey

Does getting custom graphics on the bass drum head degrade the sound quality?

I figured there would already be a thread on this topic, but I searched all around and couldnt find anything. I noticed that most bands have fancy bass drum graphics. Do they do the $60 ones like they sell here...
  10. JimmyTheMonkey

Ludwig Black MAGIC v. 402

Ludwig Black MAGIC v. 402 Which on is better investment? So I have read the numerous threads comparing the Black Beauty to the 402 and a few threads comparing the Black Magic to the BB, but what about comparing the 402 to the black magic? Has anyone played these side by side. I ask because...
  11. JimmyTheMonkey

Threadless drop clutch? Hi-hat springs wearing out?

My drum teacher told me that he uses a drop clutch on his hi-hat stand for storage purposes because leaving the hi hat in the open position when not in use will eventually wear out the spring. Does anyone have experience here. If so, everyone on this forum seems to recommend threadless clutches...
  12. JimmyTheMonkey

Is this the beginning of a keyhole issue?

I'm no expert on the matter. I'm looking at buying this cymbal from a local guy off of Craig's List. I will of course play it before I buy it, but I'm not experienced enough to spot onset issues. He said he lightly played it for three years. In this picture it looks like it could have a...
  13. JimmyTheMonkey

Does anyone have a Ludwig Black Magic on hand that they can measure exactly?

I know the advertised sizes are 6.5x14 and 7x13, but what are the actual measurements of the drum. I am looking at one in a pawn shop and the owner measured it as 6.5x13, which I know cant be right. Also, any other potential problems I should look for about this snare when buying used...
  14. JimmyTheMonkey

Musician's Friend coupon codes don't work on most gear?

I have never bought anything from Musician's Friend, but I notice they usually have a 10% or 15% off coupon deal going on. This weekend for example, they have a 15% deal going. However they exclude almost all of the good equipment from it (Ludwig, DW, Zildjian, etc). Have these exclusions...
  15. JimmyTheMonkey

Ludwig still has "new" Ludwig Centennial shell packs

After asking several questions this week on this great forum, I thought I would post something of substance to help others. I spoke at length to Ludwig over the phone yesterday and got full detail on the Centennial line. Ludwig did discontinue their Centennial line. As suspected, it heavily...
  16. JimmyTheMonkey

Do I need a special low snare stand?

So I currently have a 5.5x14" snare. I expect to upgrade to a 6.5x14 in the next year. I need a snare stand. Do I need a special snare stand to accommodate a 6.5"? I take it that this size is not that uncommon. I don't want to buy something now that wont last forever. Any recommendations...
  17. JimmyTheMonkey

Can anyone shed some light on this Ludwig Kit

So I have been playing and learning on a Roland e-kit for the past few years. Finally ready (i.e. I have the space) to upgrade to an acoustic kit. I don't know much about acoustic kits. I do know I love Dave Grohl's sound the most. Bonham and Taylor Hawkins a close second. Anyway, I am...