Search results

1. Boom

What makes you like a certain brand of drums?

In the thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132335, about what "you will never own/buy" and why, got me thinking. As I said in that thread, I took a writing class a few years ago where I learned that one of the reasons a person "chooses" a taste (favorite car, color shoes, taste...
  2. Boom

What are reasons that you like "X" drums or "Y" cymbals?

In the thread http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132335, about what "you will never own/buy" and why, got me thinking. As I said in that thread, I took a writing class a few years ago where I learned that one of the reasons a person "chooses" a taste (favorite car, color shoes...
  3. Boom

Some Drum Set maintenance questions

Hello everyone! It is that time to do some maintenance of my drum set. I just had my basement completely redone (removing concrete slab to put a new one in with a vapor barrier underneath, spray foam insulation on the walls etc etc..ie...very very dry now). During that huge project I had my...
  4. Boom

Help me with basement remodeling. Soundproof drum/band room.

Hey everyone! I'm in the process of a MASSIVE basement remodel of my home. Walls, floor, duct work, structural stuff, waterproofing (internal french drain) etc... Any suggestions for those that have done the basement thing, and specifically, those that have soundproofed a drum/band room. I...
  5. Boom

Musical artists whose death saddened you.

I'm asking for you to share the musical artists that you really enjoyed or admired that passed away and you felt real sadness. Preferably this list would be people you did not know. I started thinking about this after the recent death of MCA, Adam Yauch, of the Beastie Boys. I was sadder...
  6. Boom

My DW saga just keeps going and going...

As you may already know, I've had some issues with a DW Collector's kit and the service I got from Drum World in Pittsburgh, Pa and one or more DW reps. That stuff is documented in these threads: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80618...
  7. Boom

My DW's are here!

As some of you know, I had ordered a DW Collector's kit April 2 2011 (yes, over a year ago) and that kit had issues as can be seen in these threads if you care: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80618 - This one you can see how much denial I was in that I might have real...
  8. Boom

Cleaning and preserving a Bronze shell

Hello, I purchased a sight unseen Mapex black panther hammered bronze snare drum from Guitar Center. It was in a different state and had to be shipped to where I live. I get 30 days to return it. I set it up, tuned the batter head a little tighter and played it and love the sound...
  9. Boom

How much does chroming a metal drum change its sound?

For those in the know, would chroming over a bronze snare drum change it's sound much? There is a bronze drum that I like the sound of that is for sale. But this particular drum was chromed after the original purchase (looks very nice) and I can't hear a sound clip of it. I like the tone of...
  10. Boom

If money is no object, then which mic would you use for...

I know this kinds of questions have been asked before, but I like updated answers. I realize that with money as an issue most drummers and sound guys would choose a sm57 for a snare drum. What I was wondering is, if you had unlimited funds, what would you choose for snare mic, tom mic, bass...
  11. Boom

Tama bubinga elite vs Saturn limited birch/walnut

I have a tough decision that I would love your help with. I have an option to buy a Tama Bubinga Elite 5 piece *used* kit or a Mapex Saturn 5 piece limited edition (sweet paint finishes) *new* kit. Tell me what you think. Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite: Used (3-4 years old) White finish with...
  12. Boom

Steps you take to preserve your drums over the years.

Outside of the normal things like storing your drums in a reasonable environment (not too humid, not too hot) and keeping them in cases/bags especially when in transport, what steps do you take to preserve the beauty and performance of your drums. Some manufacturers mention not using wax on...
  13. Boom

My Tama Starclassic Maple die cast hoop is no longer flat...

I've seen Bob Gatzen describing how to get a die cast hoop back to flat by leaning on in while having half of it on a strong surface (table), but I'm having difficulty getting this to get my Starclassic die cast back to flat. The 10 in tom I have it for won't tune properly because of it. I'd...
  14. Boom

Sanding bearing edge with very fine grit...horrible idea?

I'm taking apart my Tama Starclassic Maple kit that is about 11 years old. Bearing edges still feel nice, but, is there any merit to run a super fine sand paper over an older drums edges? I understand that I would never really want to mess with the bearing edges as I'm not professional drum...
  15. Boom

Thoughts on the S-hoop drum hoop?

I'm considering getting S hoops for the batter side of my drums (snare, 8, 10 and 12 rack toms) and was wondering what the opinions of those that own/use them are? Do they make enough of a difference to also use on toms? If I had die cast, would you change to the S hoops for any reason? If I...
  16. Boom

The steps you should take upon receiving your new drums/drum.

In this thread, http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82818, about problems I was having with a high end kit I bought, there was a side discussion about what should be done to protect the consumer when he/she picks up their drums. So I wanted to ask what do you think should be...
  17. Boom

High End kit with problems...***Update - John Good, Mr. DW, called me today"

I’m having some problems with a top of the line/high end/big name kit and I was hoping this forum could help me decide if I’m being too nitpicking or are all of my gripes real ones. Ie. Could you tell me which ones not to worry about and which ones need addressed by the manufacture...
  18. Boom

DW collector's kit...sounds great without some lugs in!

DW collector's kit...Need help with floor tom. I realize that this post is going to most likely come across as totally crazy. But I'm asking for any advice on this matter. I recently received my custom made DW collector's kit. The 14 x 12 floor tom has an oddity regarding its tuning. No...