Search results

1. ChipJohns

Gretsch Cat Maple Mounting System

Help ... ! I am looking for the size of the mounting system for the toms. I see that most of the mounts are for 12.7mm and the Gretsch Website says they use the " GTS suspension system with ball-socket tom holders for flexible tom positioning," but it doesn't come out and say 12.7mm and it...
  2. ChipJohns

Benny's iPhone app..

Anyone seen this? Pretty cool http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgfn1TjrN0M&feature=player_embedded#! There's a link to it on his website Don't cut it short. Watch the whole demo! This is pretty cool. Oh, I already said that. Q:-) EDIT: Evidently it's a modified version of this...
  3. ChipJohns

Terry's outfit!

Okay. the solo is awesome. And, I know playing for Zappa had to be just a blast, but, when was the last time you played (in public,) wearing what Terry is wearing ..? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M782Ax4b4_0&feature=related
  4. ChipJohns

Encouragement for frustration

If you are working on anything that is frustrating you lately, don't fret. This may help you feel better.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3G_kduoUWg&feature=related I feel a little better!
  5. ChipJohns

Drum Battle Prison

This is great! Don't know if this has been posted before but I just had too.
  6. ChipJohns

Efrain Toro

I was just blown away by this guy.. I am in the instructional design/ educational industry and have done my fair share of time at the podium. This guy is the coolest instructor I have ever seen! Granted I only watched the free (first) lesson. (going out of town, but when I get back I am...
  7. ChipJohns

What else had Gene Played on?

Hi all, Wow, it's been a while. Anyways, I was looking around at smoe YouTube stuff and ran across this. Kind of goes in line with the playing with matches thing. Something else Gene finds to play on. just had to share! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8gvJnhTY2s&feature=related
  8. ChipJohns

Quick Beats

I'm getting Ready for a Cymbal upgrade. Back in the mid 80s I used to have a set of Quick Beats. I loved these hats. There are always quite a few going on eBay so getting a pair isn't a problem. I want to get something that is practical. I remember liking these hats, but times change, playing...
  9. ChipJohns

How many pieces?

OK. We talk a lot about how many drums and cymbals is enough. How about the size of the band? if you could put together the "YOUR NAME HEAR" BAND, what would it be? Mine would be... I would love to put together a four piece band with, (1) Drums, (2) Bass, (3) Guitar, and (4) Violin. The type...
  10. ChipJohns

Steve Caught a Buzz!

I'm not sure how much I am going to worry about snare buzz anymore. I just picked up a pretty decent pair of headphones and I'm listening to things in a whole new light. I happened to listen to Steve Smith on Steve Smith: Drum Solo Lesson and even though I could always here a little bit of a...
  11. ChipJohns

Cool Setup

Take a look at the Drums! Carrie Underwood Invitation Only Not super practical, but, very showy. Given the opportunity would you like to try something like this..? I'f I played for a big act and had the opportunity to play a small gig like that, It would probably be fun.. But, I guess if I...
  12. ChipJohns

Spang-a-lang subtle or...

Is this a matter of subtlety or semantics? As a musician I have always seen a shuffle written as such: 4/4 for th is example... ||: [quarter] - [dotted 8th] - [16th] :|| However, lately I have seen the shuffle written : ||: [quarter] - [triplet 8th] - [triplet 8th rest] - [triplet 8th]...
  13. ChipJohns

DC Star

Any one from the Washington DC (USA) area remember a band called DC Star? - back in the late 70s early 80s They mainly did cover tunes... I can't remember the drummer's name. I was just wondering if I could track him down to see what he is doing (if anything) now. He was quite an amazing...
  14. ChipJohns

Attaching Bass Pedal

How tight do you attach your pedal to your drum hoop. On my old set I used to have tight enough so that if you picked up the bass drum the pedal would daty attached. However, this messed up the hoop. What does everyone else do about this..?
  15. ChipJohns

What size drum sticks for a 12 Yr old?

Just got my nephew a snare drum. Want to get the sticks too. He is 12 going on 13. I know when I started (at 11) I used a bigger stick. thought I'd put this to all of you who teach. What is the best size stick for my nephew? Thanks
  16. ChipJohns

Snare Stands and Sound Quality

How much does the type of stand impact the sound of the drum? For instance. It's obvious the difference in sound when you take your floor tom off of the floor and hang it. And, to take it a step further, some stages make your floor tom sound better. What kind of impact would it make on sound...
  17. ChipJohns

Movie: August Rush

Just watched a great movie. August Rush about a 12 year old musician who is looking for his parents. If you get the chance... this is a pretty good movie. At least I liked it!
  18. ChipJohns

Pro Mark Louie Bellson

About 20 years ago I was using one of two different sets of drumstick, both similar and made by Pro Mark. The first was the 747 - Great Stick. The second was the Louie Bellson Signature series. Pro Mark doesn't seem to make this anymore and when I google it I just get Louie Bellson Signature...
  19. ChipJohns

Just like riding a bike..?

Hi All, Some advice needed on getting started again. I started drums about 11 yrs old in school. Got my first kit around 14. Started playing professionally at 17 and through 32.; Got fibromyalgia and had to quite. My Health is now good enough to play again (I'm now 48,) and I am excited. I...