Search results

1. Jhostetler

It happened to me.

Holy crap. It's been a while and life finally happened to me. I stopped playing. I've heard countless stories of folks who stopped playing for several years for some reason or another. I naively scoffed and said to myself, "That'll never happen to me. I've been playing since I was 8...
  2. Jhostetler

Shagbark Hickory

Back in the middle of my family's woods there is a beautiful tall shagbark hickory tree. Kind of a unique species of tree. Anyways, I've thought off and on about what kind of drum could come out of a tree like that. I've looked online a little but have not been able to find any drum...
  3. Jhostetler

Chick Corea advice

16 bits of advice for musicians in a group. http://www.bangthedrumschool.com/chick-coreas-16-pieces-of-advice-for-playing-music-in-a-group/
  4. Jhostetler

R.I.P. John Glenn

First American to orbit the Earth, oldest person in space, Senator, fighter pilot, and many things more. July 18, 1921 - Dec. 8, 2016 "Zero G and I feel fine"
  5. Jhostetler

Messenger Bag suggestions

Hey folks, I've got an aging black leather messenger bag I picked up at Goodwill a little under 5 years ago for $4.00. With my new job I figure it's time I put more than $10.00 into a new bag. What would you suggest to a salesman looking to upgrade? I would like to stay under the $100 mark...
  6. Jhostetler

"Peanuts" jazz

At least that's what I call it. I listen to Spotify while I'm in the office and have taken a liking to what I call "Peanuts" jazz. A la David Benoit and the Vince Guaraldi Trio. Who else would you all recommend that plays this kind of happy jazz?
  7. Jhostetler

Deeply troubled...

I'm a fresh out of college graduate. As in I just graduated in April. Last weekend was my University's homecoming. I went and had a good time. Today I found out that 36 tenured professors, 4 from the University's school of Music, will no longer have a job at the end of the school year. Among...
  8. Jhostetler

Standout features of a genre

With my new job I get to travel a lot for work. I've got XM radio in the company car and I listen to a lot of music from multiple genres. The more I got to listening the more I came to this realization. I LOVE the sound of the Snare drum in Country music. Now, this is not to say that the Snare...
  9. Jhostetler

Clicking wrists

So, I have a feeling I'm not the most intelligent human being out there. I've been having bad wrist pain for about the past year or so and still haven't done anything about it. Right now, both of my wrists click and pop very audibly whenever I rotate them. Not necessarily painful to do...
  10. Jhostetler

Drums in Commercials

Didn't see any other threads about this subject. Just saw on television a commercial for Pizza Hut that featured a concert percussionist. As a recent graduate (last Saturday!) with a marketing major, I find it intriguing how social perceptions on drums and percussion lend themselves to...
  11. Jhostetler

Overuse of the term "Jazz"

I may be crazy here, but in my mind the term "jazz" is grossly overused. Too many times I here people define their music as being "jazzy this" or "jazzy that" without any real association to the genre. For example, a student band on campus defines their music as jazzy folk. I hear nothing but...
  12. Jhostetler

Energy when playing the kit

this came across my feed and it is a MUST SEE for all. This is the approach I think we all need to take when it comes to our attitude for the drums. Playing music should be fun and uplifting as he demonstrates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftw3oIXhxt8
  13. Jhostetler

Latin Pop

I have to admit, I love it. I love playing to it and trying to explore how to mesh traditional Latin grooves with a pop format. Problem is, my knowledge of the genre is limited. I like listening to early Shakira, Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull. (Yes, I said it. Glad to get that off my chest)...
  14. Jhostetler

Never judge a cymbal by it's label

I'll admit it. I've been judgmental in my cymbal choices. I am guilty of not giving some cymbals a chance because the didn't have the right name associated with them. This past weekend changed all that. I have always associated Paiste cymbals with Rock n Roll. They are bright, brash, and in...
  15. Jhostetler

Rediscovering old gear

So I picked up a Tama Silverstar jazz kit a few years ago and it's been my main gigging kit since then. Of course one of the first things I did was swap out the snare for a more preferable one (I thought at the time). Well, coming up shortly I've got a gig that involves a lot of slow Blues...
  16. Jhostetler

Zildjian Mini-Cup ride

Just got the opportunity to pick up a used 20" Zildjian "mini-cup" ride for pretty cheap. Not sure how old it is. Does anyone know much about these? I'm looking for a decent left-hand ride for my jazz kit. My main ride for now is a 22" Sabian B&U Apollo. Would the Zildjian be a nice...
  17. Jhostetler

Frustration with GC

Just need to vent a little bit here. My apologies. I went into a Guitar Center a few days ago to check out a used Taye 6 piece studio maple kit in a nice orange finish. First, I was there for a solid half hour, and there was nobody in the drum section of the store. I looked around and made...
  18. Jhostetler

When musicality goes out the window

So last night I had the extreme pleasure of playing with my old high school's jazz band. The jazz band at my old school also doubles as the pep band at our basketball games. Every two years, my old director has an "alumni night" where past members of the band come back and play for a home...
  19. Jhostetler

Simon Phillips tunes a bass drum

Got to say, this is the oddest way of getting a head to seat that I have ever seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ2KUsBSmps
  20. Jhostetler

The Monkees "Goin Down"

So, I'm a huge fan of the Monkees. This song has been one of my all time favorites since I first heard it back in high school. My question is: did Mickey Dolenz play the drums to this track? I know for the first portion of the band's existence they brought in studio musicians to record the...