Search results

1. Jazz+Ska!

14" Bass Drum Help

I converted my 14 X 14 floor tom into a bass drum. I have a coated ambassador on it right now as the batter (with duct tape where the beater hits to protect the coating) and a stock pearl head as the resonant. It doesn't sound too bad, but it is still a little too "tomy." I'm looking to get an...
  2. Jazz+Ska!

'Custom' Drum Set

I am thinking of getting some sort of small jazz kit. I have researched various options, and have finally decided to 'make' my own. What I mean is that I don't have the money to spend $3,000 on three shells, and I don't want to buy a kit of 'equal' quality as my own (a pearl export, so that...
  3. Jazz+Ska!

New jazz drums help...

I know it seems like there are a million "This Kit" versus "This Kit" threads, but I do need some help... I have played my current set for some time, and I am looking to upgrade. I am saving up money, and will have about a thousand dollars to spend, probably a little more. Obviously, I am...
  4. Jazz+Ska!

Marching Cases

I am planning to get a new kit in the future, and get some cases for it. I am probably going to get the Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz Kit. I could find standard cases for every drum but the bass. 14 X 18 is kind of an awkward size, but a found a marching case that would fit it. Is there any...
  5. Jazz+Ska!

Same pitch problem

I play with only 2 toms (one floor and one rack) tuned at either an octave or fifth. Sometimes to get an extra pitch in there I like to turn my snares off. The only problem is my snare head is basically a minor second from my rack tom, but a lot deader sounding (I have a one of those muffling...
  6. Jazz+Ska!

Traditional Vs. Matched

Most drummers seem to play one of the matched grips, usually the american grip, whenever they play drumset. I think that is their folly. Traditional (in most cases) is better, at least I think so. Traditional gives better angles, stays out of the way, and is just as fast as matched, if not...
  7. Jazz+Ska!

Sizzle cymbal creation tips

I am getting a new ride, but instead of trading in my old one I am going to make it into a sizzle. I plan to do it myself to save money, but am not sure how to go about it. Does anyone have any tips/directions (as in steps to follow, size of drill, spacing, etc.) for this?