Search results

1. toddbishop

Jon Christensen

Someone said Jon Christensen has died. If you don't know his playing throw on Keith Jarrett's album Belonging. UPDATE: Or not? Apparently Erskine posted the news on Facebook, and then retracted it, and no one's finding confirmation of it.
  2. toddbishop

Cymbal events in Seattle, Berlin, Dresden, Munich

I've got some upcoming events related to Cymbal & Gong cymbals, and my retail site, Cymbalistic.com. Mainly, we're doing a display of cymbals at the Ballard Jazz Festival in Seattle, and meeting some drummers in Germany-- delivering cymbals, and letting people see, play, and buy Cymbal & Gong...
  3. toddbishop

Some free s__

Here's an entertaining video from an improvised music show the other night.
  4. toddbishop

Does anyone use the Reunion Blues RBX cymbal bag?

I'm looking into getting one of these for air travel. Anyone use them? Any durability issues, and any problems carrying 22" cymbals?
  5. toddbishop

John von Ohlen has died

Great drummer and band leader from Cincinnati-- great drummer, and mentored a hell of a lot of people. Excerpts from his Modern Drummer interview by Scott Fish here. Reread that about twenty times back in the day...
  6. toddbishop

Interchangeability of Tama tom brackets!

Lots of tom tom questions this week-- trying to add a new drum and upgrade the bastard mounting system I have on my Gretsch set. So: Does anyone know if the current Star Classic/Quick Lock or MTB30 tom brackets are interchangeable with the old style Super/Imperial/Swingstar-style brackets...
  7. toddbishop

tom mounts with 1" posts

Does anybody know which companies' tom mounts (mounted on the bass drum) use 1" posts? I know Gretsch, Tama, and Gibraltar use that size. Anyone else?
  8. toddbishop

RIMS mounts with Yamaha?

Hey, has anybody used Gauger RIMS mounts with Yamaha hardware? Any funny issues with getting the brackets on the RIMS, or mounting the drum on the tom holder? I'm adding a tom tom to my Gretsch set, and it's time to ditch the crummy Tama mount I've been putting up with for too bloody long. 12"...
  9. toddbishop

Marvin Dahlgren has died

I got this note today:
  10. toddbishop

RIP Ben Riley

Ben Riley, who played with Thelonious Monk in the mid 60s, has died.
  11. toddbishop

Digital revenues: Spotify vs YouTube

Interesting article from Digital Music News, on the current state of digital revenues for artists-- what's improving, and what needs work: Indie Labels Say Spotify Is Paying 3X Better Than YouTube. It opens:
  12. toddbishop

RIP John Abercrombie

Big bummer that we lost John Abercrombie yesterday, one of the greatest guitarists of the last ~5 decades. If you don't know his stuff, you're missing out-- check out: Timeless Gateway Gateway II RIP
  13. toddbishop

Jaki Liebezeit has died

More unfortunate news.
  14. toddbishop

Paul Motian documentary

Just putting the word out that there's a guy raising funds to complete a documentary on Paul Motian. Should be amazing, we should all contribute. Follow them on Twitter @MotianInMotion.
  15. toddbishop

Drummer killed by police in Florida

Didn't think this should pass without a notice on the forum: A Florida drummer named Corey Jones was shot by police when his car broke down on his way home from a gig.
  16. toddbishop

Yogi Horton history of funk drumming

Incredible new/old video up, of Yogi Horton in a clinic, talking about the history of funk drumming.
  17. toddbishop

Jeez, Phil...

Phil Rudd, one of my favorite rock drummers, busted in a murder-for-hire plot..
  18. toddbishop

RIP Ronald Shannon Jackson

He died today, aged 73. There's a great MD interview with him, which I excerpted on the blog-- one of the best things written in the 80's about drumming.
  19. toddbishop

Ludwig Classics -- same as the 70's?

What's the story with the current Ludwig Classics? Are they basically the same drums as the olive badge 70's/80's ones? Anybody have experience with both eras?
  20. toddbishop

Europe tour

Hey gang, before I wing out of here I just wanted to let any DWers in the Benelux/Paris vicinity know that I'm kicking off a little tour over there today, and I want to invite you to come on down and say hello and hear the group. We're doing a recording first, then the actual gigs run from the...