Search results

1. donzo74

Drum Tuning Bible

Timmdrum, to each their own and if you can get a good snare sound threading like that, I applaud you, sir! However, you did say that you don't like using cord, so you may not have tried threading using this guy's method. I am someone who prefers using braided cord for attaching snares so I have...
  2. donzo74

On what albums do you think every single song is excellent?

Here are a few albums I always thought were great from start to finish: Rush - Moving Pictures Led Zeppelin - Zeppelin 4 Boston - Boston Steely Dan - Aja Dio - Holy Diver Gino Vanelli - Nightwalker Whitesnake - Whitesnake Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
  3. donzo74

Anyone still using hanging floor toms?

My Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit has all hanging toms, including the 14x12 and 16x14. I generally use that kit as a four piece with a 12x10, 16x14 & 22x18 BD. Sounds great for rock and the hanging toms make setup a breeze.
  4. donzo74

Show us your Premier kits!!

Regarding the Genista reissues, I had read that the birch version came with the white BD reso head and the maple version came with the black one. I have two maple bass drums from this series and they both came with black reso Premier logo heads. Mine are in Cherry Red Fade, which fades to almost...
  5. donzo74

Yamaha SC snare vs Pearl VPX

I'll add a third vote for the Yamaha SCB.
  6. donzo74

Mapex armory snares

The recent 10 lug Stage Custom Birch is quite a nice surprise. Mine arrived from the factory with the snares perfectly centered and they used fabric straps to hold the snares on instead of plastic strips, which is an upgrade, IMO. I only changed the batter head to something a little thicker...
  7. donzo74

Snare Wires / Importance.

This is always my answer. They are cheap and sound great! I have several sets of Puresound wires at home and I've tried them on many different drums but none of them have ever given me the sound or sensitivity I want in any setting. Finally I learned that they just aren't for me. I've always...
  8. donzo74

Neil Peart

RIP, brother. An inspiration to so many and the epitome of class. Thank you, Neil!!
  9. donzo74

The "drum audition"...for vehicles.

The car is long gone but I once loaded my 4 piece rock kit w/ 22” BD in a ‘93 Formula Firebird.
  10. donzo74

Suspension Mount Inversion Therapy

You are correct, sir! I saw a used Sakae set in a GC a while back and noticed that, too. I can attest that it really works well and I like the look of it, too. You get a nice section of shell that is unobstructed by any mounting hardware so I actually prefer the look. Functionality is great, no...
  11. donzo74

Suspension Mount Inversion Therapy

Thanks for your reply! I may try your fix one day but I don't ever mount this particular drum on a snare stand. Since it's working for me at the moment and sounding great, I'm gonna stick with the reso side mounting for now.
  12. donzo74

Copper phonic maintenance?

I have the raw finish and it’s beautiful as it is. I don’t see any need to clean it other than dusting it off. It stays in a case so it doesn’t even need that often.
  13. donzo74

Need feedback on two options for a sizzle cymbal.

I have one of these with a single sizzle rivet and it sounds great! I bought it used so I don't know if the rivet came from the factory or if someone did it later but it's got a real smooth sound and the decay of the rivet is smoother and more consistent than the sound I get using sizzle beads...
  14. donzo74

Whiplash! (The Movie)

LOL!! I was just thinking of that scene! The band-aid literally exploded off his hand as blood shot out like a geyser! :LOL: Still though, stuff like that does happen in the world of drumming. I mean, who hasn't sliced a finger or popped a blister and bled all over their pants and drum kit...
  15. donzo74

What size kick for rock / pop?

I have a 20x16 that is great, especially when mic'd or in a small room. For most rock gigs, I prefer a 22x18. The most common BD size I have had over the years has been 22x18 but I played a 22x16 for years and didn't find it lacking. Most of my kits were purchased NOS or used, so I didn't stress...
  16. donzo74

Why do you play Zildjian?

It was Zildjian or Paiste when I was growing up and I preferred the Zildjian sound. Sabian was the new kid on the block and there wasn't much to choose from. Even if I heard a cymbal from another company that I liked, I would find an equivalent sound from a Zildjian and get that one instead. A...
  17. donzo74

Snare drum size?

Ah man, good luck with the repairs! I hope you can get that sorted out with minimal stress. I'd love to see the badge and throw off mechanism so post pics if you can.
  18. donzo74

Snare drum size?

Awesome! How do you like it? It looks like it is in really good shape!
  19. donzo74

Tom mounting options?

Very true! Here are both tom arms side by side. The one on the left will go right into the BD receiver for a nice, clean setup. The one on the right is the standard Yamaha YESS arm.
  20. donzo74

Tom mounting options?

I hear that! I haven't moved to the lightweight stands yet but I've heard of other guys replacing one section of pipe in their lightweight aluminum stand for a same diameter section of a steel stand. Then they clamp the accessory clamp to the steel section. I do this with my regular steel...