Search results

1. Vintage Old School

Who's Subbing For Anton Fig On The Joe Bonamassa Tour

Anton Fig broke his ankle back in June and is recuperating. I heard that Greg Morrow was subbing for Anton on the current Joe Bonamassa tour. A friend of mine caught the show last night in Oklahoma City and was wondering who the current drummer is. He only caught the drummer's first name...
  2. Vintage Old School

DW 5000 Strap Pedal & DW 9000 Strap Pedal Input

Anybody here who has owned/played both a DW 5000 strap pedal and a DW 9000 strap pedal I could use your insight and input. Backstory is I purchased a new DW 9000 dual-chain pedal around 1990. While I was glad I got it, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I sold that pedal with my...
  3. Vintage Old School

TAMA Gong Bass Drum

I just checked off another item on my projects list. I won’t bore you with all the details but there is a lesson to be learned here. I picked up a brand new TAMA 20” Gong Bass Drum in 1983. The inner and outer veneer was a dirty, muddy brown finish over pebbly wood texture clear coated with...
  4. Vintage Old School

New Yamaha Recording Series 8" X 14" Birch Snare Drum

Anybody here have hands on experience with the new 2019 Yamaha Recording Series 8" X 14" Birch Snare Drum? Would appreciate any input. Give me the good, bad and the ugly.
  5. Vintage Old School

Puresound MS4 Snare Cord--Any Good?

I came to the game late after discovering the Ludwig orange snare cord a few years back. I have been extremely pleased with it. I'm curious if anyone here has tried the Puresound MS4 brown nylon snare cord and what your thoughts are.
  6. Vintage Old School

Your Favorite COB Snare

I've been pouring through all the old threads on COB snares but decided to start this thread for fresh perspectives. I'm not concerned as much with the best COB snare as much as what is your favorite COB snare and why. Anybody playing the Gretsch USA G4160 5" X 14" snare I would especially...
  7. Vintage Old School

Help Needed Identifying TAMA Bracket

I haven't had any luck locating the TAMA part number on the following bracket: Early 1980's TAMA Gong Bass Drum Need to identify the OEM L-Rod Bracket (10.5 mm L-Rod)
  8. Vintage Old School

Book Club

Give me wisdom of books I have not read. Especially since I haven't read Volume One.
  9. Vintage Old School

Anybody Used These Mic's On Kick Drums?

Looking for some honest feedback if anyone here has used any of the following microphones on kick drum: Sennheiser e901, Audio-Technica AT4050 and the Solomon Low Freq sub kick.
  10. Vintage Old School

TAMA Kenny Aronoff Track Master 4" X 15" Snare

Anybody here spent any time playing the TAMA Kenny Aronoff Signature Track Master 4" X 15" snare drum? What's your take?
  11. Vintage Old School

5 Inch Deep Snares

After reading through the Drumhead Special Issue enSNARED Vol. 1 my one take away was that there was a much heavier representation of 5 inch deep snares than I expected. That size doesn't surprise me for recording purposes, but most of the threads that I've read on this forum asking for...
  12. Vintage Old School

Primary & Auxiliary Snares--What Are You Using?

I recently caught the Reunion Tour of the Dixie Dregs in Dallas at The House of Blues and noticed Rod Morgenstein was using a primary and auxiliary snare set up on tour. For those of you using primary/auxiliary snares I'd like to hear what you're using (sizes, shell materials) and why you like...
  13. Vintage Old School

Chris McHugh KDB-1 Signature Bass Drum Beater

Just curious if anybody here has tried or is using the Innovative Percussion Chris McHugh KDB-1 Signature bass drum beater. What's your take on it?
  14. Vintage Old School

Affordable Sub Snake

I just used the HOSA Little Brother 50-foot 8 Channel Sub Snake on a series of film shoots for location recording. This ended up being a life saver for me on location. For anyone looking for an affordable sub-snake (home studio/small venue live performance) the HOSA sub-snakes are great...
  15. Vintage Old School

24" Ride Cymbal Users--What Size "Crashes" Are You Using?

Random question for all the players here using 24" (or larger) ride cymbals: what size crash cymbals--or crashable rides--are you using? No real agenda here, just curious what others are using. Just an educational exercise on my part.
  16. Vintage Old School

Vocal Mic Shootout

For those of you with recording/home studios you may find the Vocal Mic Shootout conducted by Sweetwater Audio of interest. 50 vocal microphones recorded with male and female vocalists for comparison. Sweetwater has made all the files available for download...
  17. Vintage Old School

Joyful Noise Tuning & Maintenance Video

Curt at Joyful Noise just posted a video on their website regarding the care, maintenance and tuning tips for their snare drums. www.joyfulnoisedrumcompany.com/tutorials/care-maintenance-tuning.html
  18. Vintage Old School

Another Bucket List Item

Just checked off another bucket list item after a 32 year search. I located this SOTA snare mounted in a Pearl Free Floater frame earlier this year. The original owner purchased the shell new with only snare beds and a vent hole, otherwise it was a virgin shell in pristine condition. This is...
  19. Vintage Old School

Jenkins-Martin/Blaemire Snare Review

Here's my personal assessment for those DW Forum members having requested a review on my three Jenkins-Martin snare drums: a 5” X 14” Blaemire 8-lug; a 6.5” X 14” Metallic Mahogany 10-lug; and a 7” X 13” Orange Copper Glitter 8-lug (all pictured below). After years of Jenkin-Martin/Blaemire...
  20. Vintage Old School

Angel Stainless Steel Hoops

Long shot question: Has anybody used Angel Stainless Steel hoops on a drum build? Or do you own an Angel snare with these hoops? Curious as to what people honestly think of these hoops.